Dr. Elsey's Formula Change

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes, I learned about the formula change last year. I found a much better kibble. It's called First Mate Pacific Ocean Fish with Blueberries. They also have another formula made with chicken.
My cats like it just fine. Its made in Canada and the only place I've found to buy it is Chewy.com Good luck!
I just started feeding First Mate too and most of my cats like it. I'm feeding the Duck. It's a limited ingredient with no fish, which is what I was looking for. I reached out to the company for more nutrient profile info and got a reply I was pretty impressed with.
I'm not crazy about the fact that it contains potatoes, and the carbs are fairly high, but I've learned that compromises must be made when it comes to cat foods.

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes, I learned about the formula change last year. I found a much better kibble. It's called First Mate Pacific Ocean Fish with Blueberries. They also have another formula made with chicken.
My cats like it just fine. Its made in Canada and the only place I've found to buy it is Chewy.com Good luck!
Not available On the Chewy, USA site.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I live in the U.S. and can find First Mate at my local pet food store. NOT a big box store, but a small store. You might see if a local store can order it for you, or even call the mfr and see if they would send you a sample bag first. If you go to their website, you can key in your zip code and possibly locate a store near you. (I don't live anywhere NEAR Canada, BTW)

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in the U.S. and can find First Mate at my local pet food store. NOT a big box store, but a small store. You might see if a local store can order it for you, or even call the mfr and see if they would send you a sample bag first. If you go to their website, you can key in your zip code and possibly locate a store near you. (I don't live anywhere NEAR Canada, BTW)
I did find it on Chewy, I cannot figure out why it did not display lastnight! I will not feed any food that contains "meal" products though. Meal is on the do not feed list, and my 9 year old kitties havd never had anything but top tier cat food, their whole lives. Dr. Elsey's really messed things up! They has eaten it since age 1.

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did find it on Chewy, I cannot figure out why it did not display lastnight! I will not feed any food that contains "meal" products though. Meal is on the do not feed list, and my 9 year old kitties havd never had anything but top tier cat food, their whole lives. Dr. Elsey's really messed things up! They has eaten it since age 1.
In pet food ingredients, what does "meal" mean? For example, "chicken meal", "lamb meal", etc. Does it refer to any particular part of an animal? Does it exclude anything?

Meal refers to rendered, or processed animal tissue obtained from slaughterhouses. grocery stores, and other sources that have been the subject of controversy when occasional leaks make it into public awareness. The quality of meal varies. One thing you should definitely avoid is “meat” meal because the source of the meat could be virtually anything.

According to Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), the organization that sets pet food standards in the United States, poultry meal contains “clean flesh and skin.” It may also include bone, and even the whole carcass except for feathers, heads, feet and entrails. The FDA (Food and Drug Association) inspects ingredient suppliers and investigates complaints.