Need help with cat introductions, don't know if the behavior is too aggressive

smallfurball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I wanted some advice because I can't tell if my cat is growing to accept my new kitten or if I went too fast and now she is becoming irritated to the point of aggression.

My resident cat is 3 years old and we've had her since she was 2 months old. We've never had another cat in the house but recently we offered to foster a group of kittens and we wanted to adopt one of the fosters from the shelter.

When the kittens were brought home, my cat was aware of their presence and hissed at their scent and anything having to do with them. She was pretty grumpy. Right now, she doesn't hiss at their scent, which I would say is a good thing. However, we did introduce her visually to the kitten we wanted to adopt. The kitten is pretty demure and doesn't like to play fight, she is a female. We thought it would be a good match because she is able to play by herself and isn't too energetic or domineering.

Recently, we have allowed them to have supervised contact. My cat and the kitten will approach each other for a sniff, then my kitten will wander off and my cat will watch and follow her. She will occasionally chase and "bite" the kitten while standing over her, but the bite will graze the fur so it's not harmful. I've read that it's to assert her dominance so I've let it go.

However, yesterday my cat grabbed and bunny kicked the kitten and went for her belly with the mock bite, which I broke up. The thing is, the kitten rarely tries to play with her or touch her. Sometimes she will pounce but stop short of touching my cat. It doesn't seem like my cat is trying to teach her boundaries or tell her to stop doing something, the kitten is just completely minding her business. I'm worried she actually dislikes the kitten.

I've tried to distract her because I feel like she is too hyper focused whenever I let the kitten roam around but she will only stop for food or to play with a toy for a tiny bit and then she will go back to following the kitten.

Should I go back to no visuals? Should I continue? Need some advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smallfurball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to add the kitten is only 7 weeks old so there is a big size difference!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. I take it you have not had this kitten too long given how young it is. I am also guessing that something went awry with the mama cat, as no kitten that age should have been separated from their mama.

I think nothing you said sounds bad, but since the kitten is so young and so small, you should not allow your resident cat such close access to the kitten until she can grow some. Nothing wrong with holding the kitten and allowing your resident cat to sit with the both of you for more adaptation, but for now that is about as far as I would take it.

Maybe you can pick up some tips from this TCS article to help you map out an appropriate plan.
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smallfurball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. I take it you have not had this kitten too long given how young it is. I am also guessing that something went awry with the mama cat, as no kitten that age should have been separated from their mama.

I think nothing you said sounds bad, but since the kitten is so young and so small, you should not allow your resident cat such close access to the kitten until she can grow some. Nothing wrong with holding the kitten and allowing your resident cat to sit with the both of you for more adaptation, but for now that is about as far as I would take it.

Maybe you can pick up some tips from this TCS article to help you map out an appropriate plan.
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite
Yeah, unfortunately the county shelter I fostered for gets a lot of kittens without mothers this time of year. They often spay at only 8 weeks and start putting them up for adoption instead of waiting for at least 12 weeks of development. Thank you for the advice though! I'll let her grow a bit before they can interact more :)

3kitmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. This is a tough one. I've had many, many cats over these many, many years. The best advice I can offer is going to be Really Hard to follow ... ignore the kitten! Or love the new baby when the older cat cannot see you! Hopefully, Cat #1 will figure out, "Well, someone has got to take care of this baby. I guess that's me." When giving attention, be sure Cat #1 gets twice as much attention as the babe. Sounds like she is maybe jealous and worried about her family place. I've never known an older cat to be cruel to a kitten. Give it time. Baby will grow, fast! And Baby will soon be a playmate. You might try giving them treats at the same time, to teach patience and fairness. Good luck!