The 2024 Gardening Thread

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks much, N NY cat man . I'll be on the lookout for them. We're always interested in new perennials. I showed your picture to Rick and he liked it as well. I'll make sure he knows to wear gloves for them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We finally got several big rains here in NE, the ground is nice and soaked. Perennials are all coming up, my long berm of cone flowers will be beautiful this year, it is full of flowers and they are 1.5 feet tall already! Everything a little late, been kinda cool here at night, is 43 right now. We got antsy and put our tomatoes in, since they hate cold we cover them when it is in the 40s. Potatoes are doing well, already hilled with dirt, grew 6 more inches, so the straw was used to hill them again. Carrots, beets, lettuce, radishes are up and going in raised beds. Planted onion plants, 4 cabbage, 3 brussel sprouts ( thought they were cabbage, were in with them, only I eat them!) and 1 jalapeno and one green pepper plant which are covered. So far so good, even though we have had small hail with every rain so far!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally got my seeds in the garden beds planted yesterday. And now it's hot! My sunflowers are sprouting on the side of the house. Everything I planted from the nursery or Lowes look wonderful. I bought a timer for watering that I'm going to try out. I didn't feel like going in the shed to find the sprinkler and set it up right now in the heat. Maybe this weekend. Sometimes hand watering with the hose gives me a chance to mentally reset too.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone suggest a good fertilizer for Strawberries and Raspberries ?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually get the miracle grow fertilizer that you mix in a watering can. They list on the box what each are good for. I tend to keep several around to use based on each plants needs. I need to do my roses!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using a product called Osmocote for my perennials. It is a 14-14-14 fertilizer, but it also is a slow-release fertilizer, lasting up to 4 months per application, so there isn't that big jolt like there is with faster-acting products. For the rest, I use my own compost mixed with Black Kow manure, with a dash of peat moss and perlite added for good measure.