Ruby – 3,830 days was not enough

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night, with my heart breaking, and tears streaming down my face, I said good bye to my darling girl, and let her cross over the rainbow bridge.

It was almost 10 1/2 years ago, or 3,830 days to be exact, that I had adopted a beautiful orange female cat, who I named Ruby. Her history was mostly unknown, other than she’d been brought to the shelter a month earlier by someone who’d rescued her from kids kicking her. She had 2 broken upper canine teeth, a wobbly eye and needed to be spayed. Her prior owners clearly didn’t take care of her, and I determined I would make the rest of her life the best it possibly could be. Her age at that time was estimated to be 2 or 3.

View attachment 476015

Ruby wasn’t the healthiest cat, even from the beginning, with digestive issues that may have been IBD, and occasionally involved vet visits when she had flare ups. But I still believed she could live a long life, and was saddened when she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in December, and then recently progressive kidney disease. I had hoped both could be controlled for a while, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Despite her mistreatment while a stray, Ruby was a loving, curious cat, who would make friends with every human who entered our home, whether friends of mine, or a stranger who came to fix a plumbing problem or clean the furnace. She’d purr up a storm, and give head bumps, and sometimes offer her assistance with the repair.

She did despise being held or restrained in any way, but was a super snuggler and a lovable lap cat.

Because of her tummy issues, and the fact that I am vegetarian, Ruby didn’t very often get to sample people food. But there were 2 foods I would always have to share with her – French Fries and Kraft Dinner.

View attachment 476016

She was never really a cat to participate in play time, but not for want of toys.

View attachment 476017

Though she was the only cat of the house, and I’m not sure if she would have accepted a feline friend, she did have an interest in other cats. If she spotted one outside, she'd run from window to window watching it. She’d also come running to a room and jump up in the window when I called, “Ruby, I see a cat”.

View attachment 476019

She never showed interest in going outside, other than once or twice stepping out onto the front step, when I would gently turn her back inside. I think she remembered from her days as a stray that outdoors was a dangerous place, and inside was better, where she could spend hours in her condo in the window, enjoying the warmth of the sun.

View attachment 476018

She was a very vocal cat, and we’d often have long conversations, with her usually having the final word.

I could go on and on about my precious girl, but I think I’ve covered the key points I’ll always remember about her.

Having her in my life was the best I ever could have asked for. I only wish we could have had more time.

View attachment 476020

Last night after I came back to my empty house, I eventually went to bed hoping to sleep.
Once I closed my eyes, the following words from the Justin Bieber song “Ghost” kept repeating in my head.

“if I can't be close to you
I'll settle for the ghost of you
I miss you more than life
And if you can't be next to me
Your memory is ecstasy
I miss you more than life”

So I sat up, grabbed my tablet and listened to the song over and over till I finally felt I could get to sleep.

I miss you so much, Ruby baby. I’ll love you forever. :hearthrob:

Oh, I am so so so sorry for your loss.. trite words, but I really mean it. The love you have shown Ruby is endless, and will be forever in both your memories, until you are reunited again..
I remember Ruby looked so much like Artie.. I cn never forget how good were were to me., I am trying to somehow do a bit of the same towards you..

Your tribute is absolutely beautiful! it speaks of love, beyond the grave and beyond species.

Ruby gave you lot, and you gave so much back to her...

I have faith that one day, you will be with each other again.., Until that day.. hold tight to memories... Love...
❤ ❤ 🙏

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Their time with us is never enough. I know I would have forfeited years of my life if I could. I hope you know that your love and care kept her here longer that she would have without your love. Bless you for showing her she was loved and mattered. I believe that one day we will see our dearest friends again