Has anyone tried the new health indicator litter additives? What were your experiences?

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think there are 3 or 4 brands that you add to your own litter. There is also Pretty Litter and I believe Purina just introduced a litter similar Pretty Litter.Could possibly be helpful for between annual and bi annual vet visit.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never tried any of them personally, but I have heard nothing but awful things about Pretty Litter and wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole honestly. It’s made of silica gel which is toxic to cats if ingested or if the dust is inhaled, and apparently it’s quite dusty. If you scour Reddit, ect. there are stories of it sending cats to the ER because they’ve becoming extremely sick from eating some of it, gone into respiratory distress from the dust, ect. Their ads pop up on my instagram once in awhile and the comments are always people freaking out about how bad/dangerous it is. So the supposed urinary health indicators are not worth the risk at all IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand , but as was pointed out to me they all have risks. I have heard similar to what you said, however I have not done any research on that type of litter myself. When my cat had immune mediated hemolytic anemia he started to eat clay litter at the hospital, which they immediately switched to paper. I was told to do the same. I still use a clay litter not because it is perfect but it is currently not causing any flare ups in my girl's asthma. Still need to use litter. I really just wonder if it would tell you would anything earlier then a blood test. Otherwise , you look in the litter. You know your scooping more.So I found them interesting, but question do they work, safety, even worth it at all if they get regular blood work done?

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t believe the health indicator litters can show you anything similar to a blood test. To my knowledge they only detect blood in the urine and PH levels to show if the urine is overly acidic or alkaline. So similar to a urinalysis but with less information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t believe the health indicator litters can show you anything similar to a blood test. To my knowledge they only detect blood in the urine and PH levels to show if the urine is overly acidic or alkaline. So similar to a urinalysis but with less information.
So yes true and she has never had any urine issues. Maybe a non starter at this time for me. She gets kidney workup. Maybe more useful if you have males not females.

Bellspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think there are 3 or 4 brands that you add to your own litter. There is also Pretty Litter and I believe Purina just introduced a litter similar Pretty Litter.Could possibly be helpful for between annual and bi annual vet visit.

Bellspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a cat breeder and Aazon influencer, i just received a sample from Genius litter and the color changes depending on what it detects in the urine, I think it's a great idea if you don't use self cleaing litter boxes and if you only have one cat.