Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I worked at a huge ranch in a very wooded mountain type area filled with coyotes and everything else. A cat was dropped off in a trap that was covered. The cat was n body slamming the trap. He was a feral Tom who had just been neutered and was dropped off to be a barn cat. I was livid.

The trainer I worked for had her own barn and we took him up there. I was shocked at how much the trap and him weighed.

There was a kitchen room of the barn where she and I would go in several times a day but not the ranch hands or others. I put him in there and opened the trap and left. We got him food and a litter pan.

We didn’t see him foe weeks, but the litter was used and the food was gone. After about a month, I would walk in there and he would be on a shelf frozen so he would not be detected. I pretended not to see him. He was huge. Definitely an older cat.

The incidents of when I would catch sight of him grew more frequent and his reactions to me became less.

About 2 months in as I was putting down food, I heard a little “ mraaaw”. I mraaawed back and left

Eventually about three months time he started seeking attention. He finally decided to come out and watch me eat a tuna sandwich. The trainer and I would both eat lunch in there at different times.

About 5 month in,he let me pet him. Then it was all good in his mind. He became this vocal friendly sit on your lap kind of cat.

He was named Collin Feral and we adopted him to someone as an indoor only cat. He did great.

This change from feral to friendly was quick. In part due to the lack of stimulation and perhaps his own boredom.

With Cheetah, she was 4 months old and it took years before she trusted me. And she had a very mellow cat to mentor her, who she loved and mimicked until she got stressed.

But, you are very right about the confidence. You absolutely cannot be afraid of the cat because your body language will show it. I feel bad for the bathroom cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked at a huge ranch in a very wooded mountain type area filled with coyotes and everything else. A cat was dropped off in a trap that was covered. The cat was n body slamming the trap. He was a feral Tom who had just been neutered and was dropped off to be a barn cat. I was livid.

The trainer I worked for had her own barn and we took him up there. I was shocked at how much the trap and him weighed.

There was a kitchen room of the barn where she and I would go in several times a day but not the ranch hands or others. I put him in there and opened the trap and left. We got him food and a litter pan.

We didn’t see him foe weeks, but the litter was used and the food was gone. After about a month, I would walk in there and he would be on a shelf frozen so he would not be detected. I pretended not to see him. He was huge. Definitely an older cat.

The incidents of when I would catch sight of him grew more frequent and his reactions to me became less.

About 2 months in as I was putting down food, I heard a little “ mraaaw”. I mraaawed back and left

Eventually about three months time he started seeking attention. He finally decided to come out and watch me eat a tuna sandwich. The trainer and I would both eat lunch in there at different times.

About 5 month in,he let me pet him. Then it was all good in his mind. He became this vocal friendly sit on your lap kind of cat.

He was named Collin Feral and we adopted him to someone as an indoor only cat. He did great.

This change from feral to friendly was quick. In part due to the lack of stimulation and perhaps his own boredom.

With Cheetah, she was 4 months old and it took years before she trusted me. And she had a very mellow cat to mentor her, who she loved and mimicked until she got stressed.

But, you are very right about the confidence. You absolutely cannot be afraid of the cat because your body language will show it. I feel bad for the bathroom cat.
Yet another success story for an older feral!!!!The end result is always good when done properly ....exactly what you did is exactly what is REQUIRED and NO time line!!!It does my heart good to hear" and they lived Happily Ever After"....

And Cheetah....you're own beautiful boy,he could not have found a better Mom 😻

Yes,poor bathroom boy- it always broke my heart to see the poor dear frozen behind whatever is nearest him and an owner afraid to show him how comforting human touch can be- how can a cat ever trust anyone that doesn't extend them the same?

Gee,the first few times I began grazing Timmy's face while he had his face in the food dish he'd whip around to say" I don't think I like that hooman!" and I'd say" It's okay"..... in a couple of days he couldn't get enough and the magic words when anything frightens him is " It's okay" - lol

On the way to the Vet he was thrashing pretty badly,every traffic light I'd raise the cover so he could see my face and say " It's okay" and he'd calm down until I had to drive again

Oh,gotta love those ferals!!!!IMO they make the very best friend one could ever have- their loyalty and devotion is unparalleled

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My own ferals, at least the three toms who are ALWAYS there, have, after 3 years, begun to enjoy being stroked while they eat, arching up into my hand. I'd love to bring them in, but am only allowed one, and those three are SO bonded that it would be cruel to separate them. AND, since they were neutered so late, there is spraying to consider. 10 years ago, that wouldn't have mattered, but my physical condition means I could not effectively clean up after them. I do the best I can, they have a good, weather-tight shelter, and two meals a day, and pats when they are in the mood. I KNOW that, with the right person, they'd easily transition. I just don't know the right person in my area to take the three of them on.

Forget the "experts." WE KNOW!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My own ferals, at least the three toms who are ALWAYS there, have, after 3 years, begun to enjoy being stroked while they eat, arching up into my hand. I'd love to bring them in, but am only allowed one, and those three are SO bonded that it would be cruel to separate them. AND, since they were neutered so late, there is spraying to consider. 10 years ago, that wouldn't have mattered, but my physical condition means I could not effectively clean up after them. I do the best I can, they have a good, weather-tight shelter, and two meals a day, and pats when they are in the mood. I KNOW that, with the right person, they'd easily transition. I just don't know the right person in my area to take the three of them on.

Forget the "experts." WE KNOW!
I agree my friend- the 3 amigos should stay together..... oh thst would be just wonderful if they good be adopted all together but that would take a really special someone,wouldn't it?

I understand completely why it's not an option for you and it just isn't-you know all my health issues but before I got this new knee I was beginning to ask myself if my babies would be better off with someone else....I think thats a big NO but had I known I'd have all these issues myself I'd not adopt anyone I couldn't care for properly -not fair to them or you

Those old Tom's would be spraying everywhere,that's a deal breaker for myself ..... oh if only we had a huge building on a big piece of property to make a kitty sanctuary- thsts my lotto fantasy-lol

At least they have you,are they safe out there? Where do they sleep and stay?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those old Tom's would be spraying everywhere,that's a deal breaker for myself ..... oh if only we had a huge building on a big piece of property to make a kitty sanctuary- thsts my lotto fantasy-lol

At least they have you,are they safe out there? Where do they sleep and stay?
Thankfully, litterboxes are not (yet) an issue. I have an adjustable-height office chair that is just right for sitting in and cleaning a box! But the spraying...nope. Can't get down on my knees to properly clean...or, I could, but I couldn't get back up again! And the three of them DO need to be together!

That's my fantasy, as well.

They are as safe as ferals can be. I have what I call "The Secret Feral Shelter" that they utilize in bad/cold weather. It's one of those bench-type garden storage containers, with an entrance cut into the back of it. I have it positioned under my back porch overhang, about 12 inches from the back wall of the building, so dogs can't access it, and rain can't blow in. LOL, on really cold days, I've seen as many as 7-8 cats piled in there, snug as bugs in rugs! They certainly don't STAY there all the time. They spend time on my porch, snoozing in my chairs, but also go "tom-catting around." They were fully 3 years old when the guerilla TNR group got active here, so neutered very late, after their tomcat habits were well-set. They still prowl, but don't seem to be fighting anymore.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully, litterboxes are not (yet) an issue. I have an adjustable-height office chair that is just right for sitting in and cleaning a box! But the spraying...nope. Can't get down on my knees to properly clean...or, I could, but I couldn't get back up again! And the three of them DO need to be together!

That's my fantasy, as well.

They are as safe as ferals can be. I have what I call "The Secret Feral Shelter" that they utilize in bad/cold weather. It's one of those bench-type garden storage containers, with an entrance cut into the back of it. I have it positioned under my back porch overhang, about 12 inches from the back wall of the building, so dogs can't access it, and rain can't blow in. LOL, on really cold days, I've seen as many as 7-8 cats piled in there, snug as bugs in rugs! They certainly don't STAY there all the time. They spend time on my porch, snoozing in my chairs, but also go "tom-catting around." They were fully 3 years old when the guerilla TNR group got active here, so neutered very late, after their tomcat habits were well-set. They still prowl, but don't seem to be fighting anymore.
Bless your heart- so let's buy a lotto ticket,how about we change things up- I'll buy your ticket and you buy mine?I'm looking forward to sharing 😘

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I've a really big plant stand against one wall out on the patio I've been giving away all my plants except the hanging ones - I want to change the patio into an official catio as they all love to nap out there and enjoy watching birds,lizards ,bugs....

The big 72" cat Condo inside is used,abused and looks it so I've ordered new exact replacement for inside and throwing out the plant wall thingy( the cats lie on the shelves-especially Timmy)& putting the old condo in its place
Finishing up cleaning out there I placed another cat carrier on the table,just like when I loaded Timmy to see the Vet- I was bent down to get more stuff and there's Timmy,sound asleep in the carrier! :dunno: :crackup:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've a really big plant stand against one wall out on the patio I've been giving away all my plants except the hanging ones - I want to change the patio into an official catio as they all love to nap out there and enjoy watching birds,lizards ,bugs....

The big 72" cat Condo inside is used,abused and looks it so I've ordered new exact replacement for inside and throwing out the plant wall thingy( the cats lie on the shelves-especially Timmy)& putting the old condo in its place
Finishing up cleaning out there I placed another cat carrier on the table,just like when I loaded Timmy to see the Vet- I was bent down to get more stuff and there's Timmy,sound asleep in the carrier! :dunno: :crackup:
I think the cats will like the new set up.

Timmy has forgotten all about the vet’s visit!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the cats will like the new set up.

Timmy has forgotten all about the vet’s visit!
He sure has-hes amazing,such a good boy

Now I just have to figure out how to get that big plant thing out of here,maybe the maintenance fellow can help if I can find him