One stillborn; no more active labor

ttscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had one stillborn 2 days ago (almost hairless with bits here and there of orange fur mostly on the head), and now a complete stop to active labor. She's eating, drinking, using the litter box, acting completely normal. I also see the rest of the litter moving around in her belly often.

I start work for a new job on Monday, and there's absolutely no way I can stay home to keep an eye on her. Can I leave her in the bathroom with the litter box and the pop up whelping tent thingy wr bought or will that stress her out? She got blood/fluids all over with the stillborn, and I really don't want that happening somewhere like my closet or inside the couch if I'm gone.

HELP!? 😫

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm in the same boat with my cat! One stillborn 2 days ago (almost hairless with bits here and there of orange fur mostly on the head), and now a complete stop to active labor. She's eating, drinking, using the litter box, acting completely normal. I also see the rest of the litter moving around in her belly often.

I start work for a new job on Monday, and there's absolutely no way I can stay home to keep an eye on her. Can I leave her in the bathroom with the litter box and the pop up whelping tent thingy wr bought or will that stress her out? She got blood/fluids all over with the stillborn, and I really don't want that happening somewhere like my closet or inside the couch if I'm gone.

HELP!? 😫
If you must so you must. Leave there some of her things, and YOUR things, so the smells are familiar.

IF she seems OK, no visible troubles, lets hope she will deliver the rest when the proper delivery time comes. Usually they feel more safe and comfortable in smaller areas, than having access to a whole flat wide open.

IF you have access to a good vet, whom is knowleable on cat obstetrics, the thing to play it safe is of course, to consult himher...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It IS more common than you think for them to deliver one prematurely and the rest later. They each have their own sac, so the rest should be OK. Do you know when she is supposed to deliver? Lrets pray she holds on till then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ttscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had one stillborn 2 days ago (almost hairless with bits here and there of orange fur mostly on the head), and now a complete stop to active labor. She's eating, drinking, using the litter box, acting completely normal. I also see the rest of the litter moving around in her belly often.

HELP!? 😫
UPDATE: She actually gave birth to 3 more yesterday when nobody was home. One was stillborn 😭 and two are very healthy. Also, I was totally right and she gave birth inside of our couch! I had to cut it open to get everybody out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my word! Hope the surviving kittens are latching, nursing well, and doing okay. Keep us posted!