diabetes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your vet has not given you a definitive answer yet about the feeding schedule?
unfortunately, our regular vet went on vacation last Wednesday. So the Vet we saw on Friday was one of the other vets at the clinic. She didn’t have anything to say about food or diet other than our primary vet would address that.

Edit
our primary vet is really good and she knows how particular my cat is. It’s possible she wanted us to just have a week to get used to giving her the injections and not really worrying about much else just to get the cat used to that. Because any change, no matter how small really disrupts the cat, it kind of gets annoying at times

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree completely that jumping into this with both feet is not the way to go. Wait and have the discussion with your regular vet; the sub vet probably did not want to overstep her bounds.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 11 or 12 year old girl, can't remember on my current cup of coffee, just got diagnosed with the diabetes the other day. She also has bronchitis but that's not the point of this post. ...

- low appetite, not motivated by food, on mirataz daily for 1+ year to stimulate the appetite
- extremely picky eater
- will only graze 11-15 times a day
I read through your other thread too (Re: CKD - increased water intake, etc.) and I am wondering if your vet discussed with you the possible/probable side effects of long-term mirtazapine use regarding increased thirst, increased peeing and general effects on kidney function? Since your kitty has been on it for a prolonged time (a year or more?), this would be one of the first things I would try to rule out (caveat: I am NOT a vet!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read through your other thread too (Re: CKD - increased water intake, etc.) and I am wondering if your vet discussed with you the possible/probable side effects of long-term mirtazapine use regarding increased thirst, increased peeing and general effects on kidney function? Since your kitty has been on it for a prolonged time (a year or more?), this would be one of the first things I would try to rule out (caveat: I am NOT a vet!)
she has not but my cat only gets a tiny dose. The full dose of that medicine is a 1.5 inch ribbon and she gets a quarter inch. just enough to kind of perk her up a bit. but she really does have diabetes her blood sugar through the roof. that’s a good catch. I will ask the vet about it.