What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed the Squirrels in the winter. Just outside the window by the Cat stand. For the sole purpose of entertainment for the Cats. I do agree that squirrels are troublesome as I have seen them digging in Planters on my deck. I have my dedicated garden surrounded with 3 foot high mesh to keep deer and other critters out. The downside is accessibility to easily work in the garden.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I despise squirrels, as they are constantly digging in my flower gardens. I planted several new iris last fall, and they dug up and ate half of them, and I caught them digging in my freshly-planted raised beds this year. I have to spread repellent to keep them at bay, and that only works for a limited time. In my opinion, squirrels are just rats with a good PR firm behind them.
Many of my neighbors hate them too,actually they hate most living things......many years ago the squirrels damaged many cars ,chewing on wires of the cars in front of my Bldg,they foraged from the trees in my landscape beds and then,frightened by every passer by they'd hide under cars to eat and bury their food( slim pickens)

Anyway,the Assoc wanted to have them exterminated so I asked if they'd give me a chance to relocate them away from the Bldg---- that's actually how it all began( nearly 20 yrs ago)...... Critter Rid is an excellent deterrent that lasts longer than most - I started feeding them and relocated them to a big tree across the lot away from the cars

Here's a funny little tidbit,occasionally their are complaints 5 bldgs away of chewed car wires- over the years every car that has had damage yrs ago was white- isn't that something?The bldg having issues now is behind a restaurant and every car parked behind that restaurant has had electrical damage( all different colors but all in a row)...... Dummy's are blaming squirrels but it's actually rats,tons and tons of rats down there by the dock- I've gone late night and thought I seeing the movie "Ben"- or was that Willard

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I despise squirrels, as they are constantly digging in my flower gardens. I planted several new iris last fall, and they dug up and ate half of them, and I caught them digging in my freshly-planted raised beds this year. I have to spread repellent to keep them at bay, and that only works for a limited time. In my opinion, squirrels are just rats with a good PR firm behind them.
I rarely get squirrels. Maybe it's the dogs or the gardeners, some flowers they do not like
Do Squirrels Eat Flowers? (and How To PROTECT Them) - Squirrel University

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik I never realized squirrels have little hands vs. "paws". Cool photo!
N NY cat man I feel the same about rabbits, and we have done things to keep them away. I don't despise them, but I want them FAR from the yard because I don't want to see them killed by a dog.
One of my little squirrel friends is such a greedy little hoarder - he puts 2 peanuts in his mouth,each cheek,one under his neck and hold one with his little hand cradling like a football and takes all 4 of them to the big tree to stash them- then makes a few trips before he comes back down to sit and eat some- cracks me up- I go through about 20 lbs of raw peanuts per month but it really keeps them from the landscape beds

If I'm late I've got a little troop of squirrels at my front door,as soon as I come out I look like the pied Piper as they all follow and race me to their big tree - if my door is open they peek in my house through the screen door,stretching their little heads to see where I am,they scream and yell at the cats but the cats just lick their chops,except Sami who's very used to them since he was a teeny baby and is always with me on his leash,he lays by the tree to watch - they yell at him,it's better than TV.....can't wait to get back out there with Sam now that I can walk again

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw the cutest TV commercial for FreshPet dog food- 2sisters ,one comment such a waste of refrigerator space with " dog food"! Her sister replies" Know where there's lots of space?" And puts the sister out,telling her dog" you're all the family I need"

I laughed so hard,brought me back about 30yrs...

A friend from NY was left at the altar,terribly depressed she needed to get away and asked if she could stay with me- " Of course I replied,but understand I'm not on vacation and have to work so you'll be on your own alot------ Oh yes,I just need a place to crash.She was going to ask another friend from high school to stay there but got the feeling she didn't want her there

From the moment she arrived she complained their are " cats everywhere" I only had 2at the time,a dog,2ferrets& gerbils - I told her a hotel room has no cats but she didn't get that she was staying in my cats home as a guest- when I came home from work she wanted me to lock my cats in my son's room..... that was it,told my little son to take her stuff out to the car as I packed her bags,dropped her off in front of that old high school friends house and drove off- never spoke since ( don't mess with my furbabies!)

JenRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any way you can get in faster with another Dr? 8 weeks is a very long time to wait - perhaps a trip to the ER to at least see if the fall causes further damage?

Praying for you- so sorry you're in so much pain,maybe it's not the best time to start weaning yourself of the pain medications - although I completely understand choosing the pain over the way they make you feel🙏
I went yesterday and got new x-rays done and I go to the doctor on Thursday to get my results and if there’s anymore damage my doctor is going to put in a rush appointment for me.

Thank you so much! The prayers are definitely appreciated and I’m slowly weaning myself off of the meds. I’m down to one a day now while alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen. So the pain is dealwithable.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I went yesterday and got new x-rays done and I go to the doctor on Thursday to get my results and if there’s anymore damage my doctor is going to put in a rush appointment for me.

Thank you so much! The prayers are definitely appreciated and I’m slowly weaning myself off of the meds. I’m down to one a day now while alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen. So the pain is dealwithable.
Oh very good to hear
I continue to keep you in my prayers❤

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw the cutest TV commercial for FreshPet dog food- 2sisters ,one comment such a waste of refrigerator space with " dog food"! Her sister replies" Know where there's lots of space?" And puts the sister out,telling her dog" you're all the family I need"

I laughed so hard,brought me back about 30yrs...

A friend from NY was left at the altar,terribly depressed she needed to get away and asked if she could stay with me- " Of course I replied,but understand I'm not on vacation and have to work so you'll be on your own alot------ Oh yes,I just need a place to crash.She was going to ask another friend from high school to stay there but got the feeling she didn't want her there

From the moment she arrived she complained their are " cats everywhere" I only had 2at the time,a dog,2ferrets& gerbils - I told her a hotel room has no cats but she didn't get that she was staying in my cats home as a guest- when I came home from work she wanted me to lock my cats in my son's room..... that was it,told my little son to take her stuff out to the car as I packed her bags,dropped her off in front of that old high school friends house and drove off- never spoke since ( don't mess with my furbabies!)
Could it be, that’s why Mr. X left her at the altar? 🤔

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
( don't mess with my furbabies!)
I remember many, many, MANY years ago, I had had several dates with a young man, and had finally invited him to my home for dinner. He gave me a look when he saw my cat. THEN he got bent out of shape when she rubbed up against his black jeans, and said, "Look, I like you a lot, but it's me or that cat." I told him that the cat was here when he came in, and would still be here when he left, preferably in the next 5 minutes. LOL, he called me a psycho and left. There had been NO hint of that side of him. Cat saved me from a really bad mistake!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember many, many, MANY years ago, I had had several dates with a young man, and had finally invited him to my home for dinner. He gave me a look when he saw my cat. THEN he got bent out of shape when she rubbed up against his black jeans, and said, "Look, I like you a lot, but it's me or that cat." I told him that the cat was here when he came in, and would still be here when he left, preferably in the next 5 minutes. LOL, he called me a psycho and left. There had been NO hint of that side of him. Cat saved me from a really bad mistake!
You GO GIRL!!!!:yess: Love it😹 and no doubt kitty loved it too as she had a good laugh!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a FOND memory that will give all " psychos" like us a chuckle....

Many years ago in NY I was outside some guy friends house and there was a clanging ,banging ,crashing sound in the back alley where the garbage cans were- the guys yelled " its that cat,get the guns"! WHAT? I exclaimed- what cat? No guns!!!!

A feral gray tabby Tom had apparently been raiding the garbage cans and scratched up some people pretty bad,,the last was a small child they said.......moments before the commotion I was about to leave and my car door was open...... well out of nowhere the Tom leaped into my car!!!!With that I jumped in right behind him to close the door and get him the heck out of Dodge .....I figured I'd let him out by my house ( big yard) where he'd be safe but the darling boy followed me inside- I called him "Buddy"

Buddy was one of favorite cats in my life- sweet ,loveable and sat in the big chair next to my rocker or on my lap- BUT Buddy did not like people and did not want anyone in HIS CHAIR---- he did swat some people but they'd been warned not to touch!

Anyway,I had a first dinner date and wasn't quite ready- invited the guy in but warned him not to mess with Buddy or sit in his chair- he didn't listen and Buddy sat in front of him and hissed- I said " that's Buddy chair you need to get up" with thst he pushed Buddy with his leg and Buddy took off..... when I heard the gallop coming back I knew exactly what was coming(& didn't stop it either,hee hee)

Yes,Buddy sliced his way through the guys slacks to do a number on that leg!He was screaming like a little school girl..... He called me crazy of course as he ran out the door bleeding - All I could say was " Told ya not to sit in Buddy's chair"

Well,in my crazy head " Served him right".... he told several of my friends I was a sicko with a vicious attack cat and my friends just laughed,saying " what did you do to Buddy?" Rofl

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And yet, early on I wasn't a 'cat person'. If we ever had any cats on the farm, I have no memory of it. When I went to work at that local garage, the owner had cats that were only a notch above ferals. One, in particular, I hated. She would lay on one of the cars, and as I walked by, would try to sink her claws into me if I didn't try to pet her, but if I did try to pet, she would bite and claw. That turned me off from cats for a whole lot of years. Michele's family, on the other hand, always had at least one cat- usually a stray that showed up. It never failed to make a beeline for me if I sat down, and usually ended up in my lap, where I always expected the teeth and claws to deploy. Funny thing, though- I don't recall any of them ever doing that. The rest, as they say, is history.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Vacuum cleaners. I have a Dyson cordless and a nice Shark upright but when it comes to deep cleaning nothing beats my old Kenmore canister vacuum for suction power and the ability to vacuum crud for an hour or more without having to replace the bag.