Walking away when Baby Joins in

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several wands/fishing poles that I use to keep Mom and Baby occupied.
But a problem is growing; when Mom is playing all is hunky dory.. UNTIL Baby wants to join in and then Mom just turns and walks off!
At first I thought it was because she wanted to teach her how to play, but now I KNOW that is not the case.
If I get Mom by herself when Baby is sleeping, she immediately wakes up when she hears Mom leaping and running and having fun. She comes to join in, but Mom gives her the cold shoulder and walks away.All other times she is the perfect caring Mom.
The only way to get around it is having 2 wands, one in each hand and having them play that way. (quite a site to behold. I look like an air traffic controller) :runaround:
Any fixes for this problem?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you've already found the fix. How old are these two? As Baby grows up (if she is still a kitten), or matures, things could change. For now, Mom doesn't want to share. So, either play air traffic controller, or play with them separately and maybe do so with Mom in a location Baby can't get to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you've already found the fix. How old are these two? As Baby grows up (if she is still a kitten), or matures, things could change. For now, Mom doesn't want to share. So, either play air traffic controller, or play with them separately and maybe do so with Mom in a location Baby can't get to.
Mom is 14 mos and Baby is 6 mos..both kittens,really.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Babies can be loud and crawling around squeeling might be scaring the cat. Tell the baby " play nicely with the kitty" "calm hands only"

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have several wands/fishing poles that I use to keep Mom and Baby occupied.
But a problem is growing; when Mom is playing all is hunky dory.. UNTIL Baby wants to join in and then Mom just turns and walks off!
At first I thought it was because she wanted to teach her how to play, but now I KNOW that is not the case.
If I get Mom by herself when Baby is sleeping, she immediately wakes up when she hears Mom leaping and running and having fun. She comes to join in, but Mom gives her the cold shoulder and walks away.All other times she is the perfect caring Mom.
The only way to get around it is having 2 wands, one in each hand and having them play that way. (quite a site to behold. I look like an air traffic controller) :runaround:
Any fixes for this problem?
Close the door so baby can't join in. 😊

This is a vital key to having multiple cats. They need time alone to play with you and often, a closed door is the only way to make it happen. At first they may focus on the door, but once it becomes a habit, both cats get to play and enjoy bonding with you.