Keeping Kitties from getting Bored / How to Control / Display Video Remotely

jcnassoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all -

When we go away on vacation our girls are on their own, other than quick visits by a friend to change water, food and litter. Our babies are very friendly, but only to us and hide under their bed when others show up, so while we are away they lack any significant human interaction.

One of the things I do before leaving them is try to set up their room to be "interesting" and "fun" for them (new sleeping beds, boxes, blankets, cat trees, etc.), and leave some for our friend to introduce every few days during their kittycare visits.

I've been hoping to find a way to display kitty-friendly YouTube or other videos I can control remotely or via a schedule. My last attempt was using an Amazon Echo Show, but I'm not seeing how to play specific videos on a regularly scheduled or remote basis. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this (even with something other than an Echo Show)? I don't want it to be non-stop (as they will get used to it), but rather something that comes on for an hour or two, then stops for half a day or more before reappearing. My thought is it will stay "fresh" and keep them occupied while they wait for their pawrents to come back home.

Thanks!

Purrdorable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would it be possible to make a handful of playlists with the videos you want and have your friend hit play on the TV, tablet, etc. as they're leaving for the day? And if it's a TV, there should be a sleep timer function that would turn it off after a set time.

That way you'll not have to worry about the device not responding or running out of battery/turning off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcnassoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible to make a handful of playlists with the videos you want and have your friend hit play on the TV, tablet, etc. as they're leaving for the day? And if it's a TV, there should be a sleep timer function that would turn it off after a set time.

That way you'll not have to worry about the device not responding or running out of battery/turning off?
Hello Purrdorable.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was hoping to make it easier on our friend and not have her need to deal with starting the videos, but that is an option. Unfortunately my girls are frightened when our friend comes over and they hide under the bed well after she leaves, so this might not be ideal (and perhaps will frighten them further, as the videos would be a "new thing" to them). Getting a separate TV might end up being an option as well.

Thanks again.

Purrdorable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've not used this feature remotely, but in the YouTube app there is a "cast to" button at the top. You may be able to cast to a linked device while you're away? You would have to also be able to turn the device on/off, which a smart TV would be able to do.

There's also cat music that you could try playing over a speaker in their room. Nature/bird sounds are fun for cats as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcnassoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again, Purrdorable. I current do have an Echo Dot in their room and play Classical music twice a day for an hour. That's based on an Alexa Routine, so that is totally hands-off.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try the cast to TV option, and ask your friend to just check to see if it's come on or not. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big problem for them to start a pre-organized playlist if nothing else :)

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've programmed our TV to come on. Unfortunately you're stuck with antenna TV if you only do streaming. But I program mine to play CBS or NBC or something for an hour or two in the evenings. They're used to hearing TV and it's better than deafening silence all the time. You're a good cat parent for all the thought and effort you're putting in! Enjoy vacation!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've programmed our TV to come on. Unfortunately you're stuck with antenna TV if you only do streaming. But I program mine to play CBS or NBC or something for an hour or two in the evenings. They're used to hearing TV and it's better than deafening silence all the time. You're a good cat parent for all the thought and effort you're putting in! Enjoy vacation!
I left my TV on PBS one day when I went to work and told them all "You're going to watch something educational for a change"! :lol: