Cat with kidney disease symptoms but blood test showing all normal.

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible for cat to get kidney disease without showing anything wrong in the comprehensive and CBC blood test?

My cat shows every sign of kidney disease like dry mouth, frequent urination (Approx 10 times a day), low appetite, weight loss.

Our previous vet foolishly claimed my cat don't have kidney disease even though his left kidney is big while his right is normal. He depends on the blood test and said my cat is all clear. About the symptoms he claimed it's all because he's not castrated. This happend a year ago. His left kidney got big and all the symptoms appeared since he ate something not good for him which causes him to vomit more than 17 times in 3 days, finally after many medication ranitidin stopped the vomiting in first dose.

But a month ago we castrated him in a new good clinic who did blood test which also shows all clear except some little gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell,which the vet said is not associated with kidney disease. But he still urinates a lot and is anorexic. The new vet said he ofcourse have kidney disease based on the symptoms and the large kidney size

He don't have UTI because i feed him water by syringe since he got suspected mild poison in the last year. I feed him according to his body weight which improves his appetite and stool motion.
So note that he got big left kidney and the bad symptoms since he got the mild poison. Maybe it cockroach gel, God knows 😑.

My theory about the blood test showing normal BUN, protien and phosphorus is that he eats very less food which for the past 2 years (previous vet claimed becus of not castrated 😑) so since his body got less protien then his blood will not be excess in protien and other waste.

Is this theory correct? Only his left kidney is big as confirmed by ultrasound.

We can't do more tests like ultrasound or x-ray as it's very expensive and we're low on coins from the foolishness of previous vet. What do you think is the kind of kidney disease my cat have?

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are several things that can cause increased thirst and weight loss such as diabetes, thyroid issues, and gastrointestinal issues. Excessive drinking is often a sign of nausea in kitties. From these results, I don't see anything that would indicate kidney disease. You could, however, be dealing with pancreatitis or something going on with the pancreas. Did they test for pancreatitis? If the pancreas is inflamed the whole GI tract is going to be affected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do anyone of you have any experience with "miracle" supplement for cat with kidney disease?

Apart from uv and vitamin supplements is there any kind that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are several things that can cause increased thirst and weight loss such as diabetes, thyroid issues, and gastrointestinal issues. Excessive drinking is often a sign of nausea in kitties. From these results, I don't see anything that would indicate kidney disease. You could, however, be dealing with pancreatitis or something going on with the pancreas. Did they test for pancreatitis? If the pancreas is inflamed the whole GI tract is going to be affected.
He obviously have some kind of Gastrointestinal problem as said by the vet. We didn't do pancakes test. But his left kidney is big. The doctor can feel it and showed to us. He eats very less good like 60% of what he should eat. So with less food does the excess waste not show in the blood?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The enlarged kidney could be genetic and just normal for him. Gastrointestinal problems can cause all kinds of problems. I would see if you can afford the pancreas test and/or the GI panel, which will test the pancreas. The GI panel requires fasting for 10-12 hours, but is a quick blood draw. I would pursue the gastrointestinal issue a bit further and treat him as if he had pancreatitis or IBS/IBD. I would ask for a B12 shot and see if the vet will show you how to give the shots at home. Also a 10-day round of steroids to decrease inflammation is standard treatment. Try feeding a novel protein that's not chicken or fish, as those are the 2 most common foods that cause problems for kitties. We feed lamb, duck, and turkey to my IBD kitty. You could also try anti-nausea meds to see if that helps.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There has to be at least a 70% loss of kidney function for the numbers to be affected in the blood work. Also, in order for the creatinine to be elevated, the cat must have enough muscle mass. So, it is very possible for him to have kidney disease but not have it show up on the bloodwork.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There has to be at least a 70% loss of kidney function for the numbers to be affected in the blood work. Also, in order for the creatinine to be elevated, the cat must have enough muscle mass. So, it is very possible for him to have kidney disease but not have it show up on the bloodwork.
This has absolutely been my experience with a couple of cats I have owned.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am responding to your question about miracle supplements for kidney disease, which seems to have disappeared :dunno:. Sadly, there is no cure for kidney disease. Here is a wonderful website all about kidney disease in cats. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Persuading Your Cat to Eat It discusses all types of things, including big kidney, little kidney. I have directed you to the page on persuading your cat to eat, but check out that entire website as it's full of very useful info, and does talk about supplements, etc.

With my kidney cats, I found that offering several small meals throughout the day and night worked best. They might only be one tablespoon at a time, but that's what worked. And I switched up the food constantly because that was what was necessary to keep them eating. Plus we used appetite stimulants, antacids, and sometimes anti-nausea meds as well. Nothing that would hurt in case it isn't really kidney disease afterall.