Advantage II for Large Dogs on cats

Cha77Cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using Advantage II for Large dogs on my cats. I am still a bit hesitant to make sure I am utilizing the correct dosage. I have a 1 cc/ml syringe. I am only counting LINES to #1 on the syringe, 8 lines or 10 lines then dosing. My friend says I have to dose to the #4 on the syringe for my cats less than 9 lbs and #8 on the syringe for my cats over 10 lbs. If I fill the 1 cc/ml syringe to #4 or #8 that seems like too much. I don't want to kill my cats. I used to have a dosage chart but I cannot find it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many cats do you have, and how long have you been using the Advantage II for large dogs on them? Has it been working as per your dose?
I would ask the friend for a dosage chart or something else to back up what she says on the dosing. I haven't used this method, so I unfortunately can't offer you much more advice than that. :(

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would double check that ALL the ingredients are the same as the version for cats. Sometimes the active ingredients can be the same for cats and dogs but some of the other ingredients differ, making the dog one unsafe for cats. Advantage II for Cats: Dosage, Safety & Side Effects - Cats.com.

" Although Advantage II products for dogs and cats contain the same active ingredients, the manufacturer does not advise using a dog product on a cat, even if they are similar in weight. Sometimes, there are differences in the inactive ingredients between dog and cat products that would make them inappropriate to consider interchangeable. "

I does look like the question was asked on the form here before years ago though, so as long as no ingredients changed since then you can probably go with the dosage listed in this thread.
Splitting Advantage ii doses?

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am always concerned with these products and appropriate use on a individual animal. If I think I might need a product like this I always consult my vet first. I have seen some very bad reactions over the years when people did not use a product that was not suitable for their pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cha77Cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many cats do you have, and how long have you been using the Advantage II for large dogs on them? Has it been working as per your dose?
I would ask the friend for a dosage chart or something else to back up what she says on the dosing. I haven't used this method, so I unfortunately can't offer you much more advice than that. :(
6 cats, same ingredients as cat advantage. Using Advantage for large dogs for quite some time,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cha77Cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am always concerned with these products and appropriate use on a individual animal. If I think I might need a product like this I always consult my vet first. I have seen some very bad reactions over the years when people did not use a product that was not suitable for their pet.
It has the same exact ingredients in the cat advantage. Many use when you have multiple cats, shelters use them. it is the dosage, 4 ml for less than 10 lbs and 8 ml for 10 lbs over.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is all in the knowledge, if you have the knowledge and experience with a product all is good. I am just saying you can use one product and all is fine use something different and you have a problem.