How can I discourage a jealous youngster from bullying

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe that's what he's doing. He seems to chase the senior cat a bit. And, then the senior cat becomes vocal as he roams the house. I'm not sure if he's trying to taunt the younger one.

The younger one is a jealous cat because he always has to get in the middle of anyone is getting attention.

Any insight?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if he's trying to taunt the younger one.
Hi, - I very much doubt this. Have you had him in for a senior cat wellness checkup?

Are you playing with the younger cat, and working to distract him from the older cat? Being chased can be stressful especially if there's a health issue going on.

This article may have something regarding the younger cat, but it sounds to me as though he's being a normal, active, energetic youngster (depending on how old he is ...to a degree);
Do Cats Get Jealous? (And What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Bond and Indy act the same way. As long as there's no excessive hissing I wouldn't be worried.

The odd hiss could just be the older cat teaching kitten manners. "Too rough!, Back off!".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, - I very much doubt this. Have you had him in for a senior cat wellness checkup?

Are you playing with the younger cat, and working to distract him from the older cat? Being chased can be stressful especially if there's a health issue going on.

This article may have something regarding the younger cat, but it sounds to me as though he's being a normal, active, energetic youngster (depending on how old he is ...to a degree);
Do Cats Get Jealous? (And What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite
Yes, he goes for wellness checks and the younger car gets to play. The younger one seems to have a jealousy issue with any other cat. I could be reading that wrong, but he acts jealous.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know your situation but I do seperate Bond and Indy so that bond isn't constantly hounding her down.

I don't think jelousy is a thing outside of humans. A cat works differently from a human. I'm not saying they don't have emotions just that they are different from our own.

Your kitten just wants to play, thats what they do. I find distracting Bond with a toy he can wrestle works to distract him. He has a dog toy with long legs he can kick and bite all he wants. Maybe something like that would work for your kitten too.

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know your situation but I do seperate Bond and Indy so that bond isn't constantly hounding her down.

I don't think jelousy is a thing outside of humans. A cat works differently from a human. I'm not saying they don't have emotions just that they are different from our own.

Your kitten just wants to play, thats what they do. I find distracting Bond with a toy he can wrestle works to distract him. He has a dog toy with long legs he can kick and bite all he wants. Maybe something like that would work for your kitten too.
I put the youngster in time out for about a half hour. It turned out the senior became more fierce once he brought up a hairball.

But, I don't know how to understand the behavior of the youngster. Perhaps he is a more dominant cat. I just equated his past behavior to jealousy because any time he hears me talking to another cat or happy in an interaction with one, he's there pronto. He gets in between me and whichever said cat. If not jealousy, then I don't know.

I would be willing to be happy to think he just wants to play.

Another way I can put it is this - He doesn't come when I call him. But, if I pretend that I am giving another cat attention by praising them out loud, he comes running lol . Thoughts?

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try and keep the younger cat from chasing the senior, I think it is too much stress for an older cat that may be having health issues.
He is a diabetic tripod. He runs quite well and his blood sugar is getting under control. But he was slightly constipated as well as had a hair ball. Both issues are done with.