Zucchini bread recipe

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone have a good recipe to share? Bonus points if the recipe doesn't require a stand or hand mixer or fancy equipment. I got a small loaf with my subscription meal delivery this week but it's kind of blah. Moist and somewhat crumbly but blah. I remember the zucchini bread the next door neighbor made for us a few times and eventually shared the recipe with mom. It had a good nutmeg flavor, possibly cinnamon as well. I've seen recipes that include cloves and other spices, none of which the neighbor's recipe had. Mom no longer has the typewritten recipe the neighbor gave her. Well, she probably still does somewhere under all the junk in the house :rolleyes:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Here's the recipe from my mother's old recipe box. It's hand written, and she even put the name of the person who gave it to her, but I don't recognize the name. Guess I was too young to know all the adults at church.

You should be able to beat the eggs & sugar with a whisk and not need to use an electric mixer. Everything else is mixed in by hand.
You can also add nutmeg or any other spices you want.

ZUCCHINI BREAD
Beat 3 eggs until light and fluffy
Add 1-3/4 C. sugar and beat

Stir in: 1 C. oil
1 Tsp vanilla
2 C. raw unpeeled zucchini ground up
1 Tbsp grated orange peel

Sift together: 3 C. flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon

Optional: add 1/3 C. nuts
Mix dry ingredients with egg mixture

Pour into 2 greased and lined pans 8-1/2” x 4-1/2”
(small loaf pans, use 5)

Bake at 325 degrees for 50 or 60 minutes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I know the neighbor's recipe did not call for orange peel so I think that can be omitted from this recipe. Is the "ground up" zucchini grated? I know my mom used the medium holes on a box grater. The bread had strips of zucchini mixed throughout. I remember pulling out the zucchini to eat separately sometimes :lol: I was looking at Google images and some breads have zero visible zucchini. The neighbor's bread was a sort of dark brown color. Mom doesn't remember what she did yesterday much less remember a recipe from 20+ years ago :ohwell:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't remember if my mother used the orange peel or not. I know I've never put it in. And yes, I just grate the zucchini.
You might try using brown sugar to make the bread come out darker.