Zithromax Dosage

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Anyone know how many ml zithromax for 3kg kitten with respiratory Infection? Vet doesn't speak much English and I could not quite understand if he meant 3ml or 0.3ml and once or twice a day? Any one else used this before? What dosage did you use? Thanks

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably .3 ml. If I use it for an adult cat the vet always says 1 ml so .3 ml ought to be right for a kitten. Let me look around and see if I can find an official dosage. . .

OK, looks like proper dosage for cats is 5 mg per kg (2.2 pounds). My vet uses a suspension that has 100 mg per 5 ml. So that means 1 ml would have 20 mg and that would be correct for a 4 kg (8.8 pound) cat. For smaller cats the dosage would be .25 ml per kg (1.1 pound). If the kittens weigh 3.3 pounds the right dosage would be .375 ml.

HOWEVER, there is also a 200 mg per 5 ml suspension. So look at the label and see which one you have. If you have the 200 mg kind, you'd give half the amount of the 100 mg version.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I have the 200mg/5ml version so for a 3kg (6.6lb) cat I give 15mg which works out at... 0.38ml? Thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What did the instructions say on the prescription container? It should be clearly labeled but if it's a problem understanding your vet in the future perhaps you can ask him to write any instructions down or speak with one of his vet techs. for confirmation. Best of luck, hope the Zithromax does the trick and your kitten recuperates quickly. :crossfingers:

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Prescription container is for humans. I'm in Saudi Arabia and not much in the way of animal specif9c drugs available. Also my vet did write it down. He wrote down 3 or 0.3 units!!! 1 or 0.1 unit per kg of cat!?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I have the 200mg/5ml version so for a 3kg (6.6lb) cat I give 15mg which works out at... 0.38ml? Thank you!
Yes that sounds right! I messed up the math originally (now edited) but you got it anyway.

Zithromax is not officially approved for animal use in the US either. But my vet likes it a lot so that's what I usually get. The once-a-day dosing is a big plus.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm liking the tiny dose. Much easier to administer than 3ml!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 ml is three full 1 ml syringes or one full 3 ml syringe, a huge OD for a cat :eek3:

He wrote down 3 or 0.3 units!!! 1 or 0.1 unit per kg of cat!?
I would take that to mean your cat's dose is 0.3 ml (so 0.1 ml per kg of body weight). A much more typical dose for a cat. Did the vet say to give the medicine once a day or twice a day?

Can you get a phone app that translates Arabic into English? Or a mini pocket translation device (are those still made?) or dictionary.

Last edited:

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Will only do once a day. Her breathing seems improved already from one dose! Will give her another tonight and see how she is tomorrow am. May be she will only need 2 doses?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, keep giving the antibiotics for at least 5 days. If you stop antibiotics too soon it contributes to antibiotic resistance.