Ziggy our Iguana!!

poisonedpenny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ziggy is awesome! I rescued a pair of Iggys from my science teacher for awhile. I was at a small high school for a couple of years and this lady was an idiot. She'd only bring in iceberg lettuce for them to eat! They were horribly malnourished and almost totally inactive due to being kept in a tiny aquarium. I told her that she was doing a bad job of taking care of them and I would take them. She gladly got rid of them out of her classroom and they got a lovely home in a HUGE tank at my place. Unfortunately at the end of the year she demanded them back as they were "school property." I sent tons of information back with them including the recipes for iguana mash that I was using. That was also my last year at that school, so I wonder about how those guys are doing all the time. I doubt the stupid woman even bothered to read the stuff I sent back with them. I hope she was smart enough to find another student willing to care for them. Iguanas are certainly a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Sorry, but I'd be afraid of her..........she's kind of cute though!
Don't get me wrong there are times she scares the stuffing right out of me too.

I wish we could have gotten her when she was younger. One day in the long distance future I will have a baby iggy so that she/he can be raised together with my kitties!!

Originally Posted by PoisonedPenny

Ziggy is awesome! I rescued a pair of Iggys from my science teacher for awhile. I was at a small high school for a couple of years and this lady was an idiot. She'd only bring in iceberg lettuce for them to eat! They were horribly malnourished and almost totally inactive due to being kept in a tiny aquarium. I told her that she was doing a bad job of taking care of them and I would take them. She gladly got rid of them out of her classroom and they got a lovely home in a HUGE tank at my place. Unfortunately at the end of the year she demanded them back as they were "school property." I sent tons of information back with them including the recipes for iguana mash that I was using. That was also my last year at that school, so I wonder about how those guys are doing all the time. I doubt the stupid woman even bothered to read the stuff I sent back with them. I hope she was smart enough to find another student willing to care for them. Iguanas are certainly a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!
I wish you had been able to keep them with you. It is so amazing how much information you need to properly take care of iguanas.

poisonedpenny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish you had been able to keep them with you. It is so amazing how much information you need to properly take care of iguanas.
Me too. They were an awful lot of work, and not something I would have chosen on my own, but it was really a great experience. I only wish I could have ensured a healthy life for them. So many books and websites offer such diverse ranges of information on iguanas. When I got them I knew there would be a lot of care involved, but with iguanas it just seemed so intense! They really are for the dedicated!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just received my book " Iguana's for Dummies" on Friday!!!

I am learning so much I didn't know. I took a few new pictures this weekend I thought I would share.

Green beans her new favorite food!!! I even snapped them for her.

She was posturing in this picture. It shows just how big she can make her body. She also does this whenever we scratch her back she will arch up. This time it was actually for the dogs benefit.

This picture she was glaring at Scoobie.

Scoobie decided to glare back as well.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Looks good to me!
How did she enjoy the berries?
Normally I have to hide the berries because that's the first thing she eats.
Now that we have included green beans, snow peas and sweet potato she eats everything.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ziggy who we now call Baby had an awesome appointment this week at the vet. The only recommendation he had was that she needs an outside room so she can soak up sunlight.

Well my cats have a cat enclosure that receives lots of afternoon sun, so I thought I would have them share.

It is actually working out beautiful. Everyone is very curious but I never leave them alone together without someone inside with them. I did block the cat door so that Baby could explore without tripping over 8 cats.

Enjoy the pictures.
I also have a turtle pond in the cat enclosure.

Sampson saying HI

A bigger view of the room. We have since added more runners around the room and high perches.

Now for the big Hoorah!! Here is Baby and Tigger together.

Baby getting some TLC

She wasn't too happy about going back inside but she didn't give me too much trouble.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Wow! She really does look like she has grown!
We think she has as well. I wish we had taken her weighted when we brought her home. We just weren't confident in handling her yet.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful iganuna! I had once named Iggy when i was growing up. Good luck with her

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow what a gorgeous lady lizard you have there! Aren't they lovely, so prehistoric looking. Very intelligent as lizards go, too. The tail can be just like a leather whip though lol!