Zeus The Black Cat

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zeus has a lot of problems. He is FIV+, he has an upper respiratory infection, broken teeth, limps. He was treated for his lice and flea's and give a shot for his URI, and fixed. He's going back to the vet next week to get his broken teeth pulled. He has to stay in my bathroom till his next vet appointment. He is in a crate. He is either semi-feral or tame, I haven't figured that out yet. I have put my hand close to him when cleaning the cage and I touched him on his back. He does not make a sound and just stays frozen. When I put him into the cage, I just dumped the carrier up to make him fall in. I am wondering how to handle him to get him back into the carrier next week for the vet. He stays in the back of the cage and it seems like it might be difficult to get my hand behind him to scruff him. I've only scruffed tame cats and I'm a little worried I might get scratched and bitten. Does anyone have any cat handling pointers?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wear long sleeves and a pair of work gloves.

Poor guy sounds frightened to death.

Thank you for rescuing him!

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Impermeable gloves.The vet surprised me by coming in with what looked like oven mitts. That cat is blessed. He sounds like he was in real danger of dying on the street.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, even if he seems timid, complying by freezing instead of exploding, a wise caretaker uses all the protections which are possible...

My guess he is semiferale for real. BUT also, he knows he is sick and needs help. That is why he cooperates as well he can. So if he survives, I expect he will be possible to socialize and foster, even if he is fully adult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It turned out to be no big deal to get him into the carrier. I put it in front of the door and took the sheet off the cage and he walked right into the carrier. Now he is off to get some teeth pulled.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Hope it went well and he's not in great pain.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One advice...dont lock your cat in your bathroom or in a crate....

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One advice...dont lock your cat in your bathroom or in a crate....
He had to stay at my apartment for four days, so he needed to be able to use a litter box, the lady who brought him back to the vet brought him in a small carrier, so that would not have worked. But maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or were you suggesting I should let a sick feral cat loose in my apartment with my four healthy cats? That's not going to happen.