Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Zero Hour On Brexit

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by doomsdave, Mar 12, 2019.

1. doomsdave

doomsdave Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Things aren't going well for the transition. March 2019 was supposed to be a big deadline, but the big banks have started moving money and people to The Continent. Or so the Wall Street Journal says.

So, any of our resident Britons or others have any thoughts?

2. mightyboosh

mightyboosh TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    They've voted to reject a no deal Brexit so there will be two more debates today on whether to hold a new referendum and then whether to delay Brexit until June.
    I hope we get a second referendum and vote to remain.
    We have created an unnecessary mess IMO due to vague notions of old England and independence.
    I think people sometimes forget that we were full partners with our MEP's fighting the UK corner.
    There was a programme on the other night about some of the major Brexiteers and financial backers pushing for it. They nave made millions on the back of it. One MP - Jacob Rees-Mogg has allegedly made £7 million from his investment company which related to all the uncertainty. He didn't deny it when interviewed saying that he hasn't broken any rules blah blah. I think the ordinary person has been taken for a ride by Nigel Farage et al. They're all very wealthy manipulators of financial systems that ordinary Joe has no access to.

3. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Thanks for responding.

People here in 'Murka, say "Huh? What? Brexit? Whassat?"

I hope, like you, that enough of the voters come to their senses and vote to remain.

Mrs. May's in a rock and a hard place, and, methinks, not knoweth what to do. Or, maybe not?

Your thoughts are always appreciated.

mightyboosh and catsknowme purraised this.

4. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    Yes, it's appalling that the Brits were led on a merry dance by the Brexiteers, who gave incorrect information to sway the vote. A second referendum has been seen to be most unlikely @mightyboosh but now might be an option? The Tories can't really say that the population was sold a pup, but that's what it is. Good that the the financial backing information is coming out.

I feel so sorry for Britain.. I do hope this can be salvaged.

doomsdave, mightyboosh and catsknowme purraised this.

5. catsknowme

catsknowme TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 2, 2005
    Eastern California,USA
    Here in the US, I have been using this Foil, Arms & Hog video to explain Brexit to my friends and acquaintances, especially since many of them are pro-"State of Jefferson". I strongly feel that more education of the voters would have prevented Brexit and will help stop the "State of Jefferson" nonsense from growing.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    doomsdave and mightyboosh purraised this.

6. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Never hurts to try, though I've found "State of Jefferson" types to be resistant to any kind of factual statements.

catsknowme purraised this.

7. aliceneko

aliceneko TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 28, 2017
    London, England
    As a Brit I think the whole situation was a disaster from the start. The whole thing only started as David Cameron, the former PM, thought he could try and take a gamble with Brexit, believing that the public wouldn't fall for the lies and false information that was spread by the Leave campaign. IMO most people voted Brexit because of the policies the referendum would have on immigration (or certainly, that was the case in the very Brexity suburb of London that I live in). If I were old enough to vote in the referendum at the time (I was just a year too young) I would've voted remain without a doubt.

catsknowme, mightyboosh and doomsdave purraised this.

8. mightyboosh

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Exactly. I've spoken to many ordinary folks in the workplace and social gatherings and the vast majority had immigration as their main concern. That is a legitimate worry if it is reasoned and balanced but I'm afraid to say that an uncomfortable amount of the people I've spoken to came from an angle of out and out racism. Some of the apparent non-racists said that they just wanted to put two fingers up at the establishment and throw a spanner in the works. A lot said they didn't like Brussels telling us what to do and that was the sum total of their argument, just that. When pressed for more evidence they either got annoyed or just repeated the stock phrases. These is my anecdotal experiences.
    The economic argument is a different subject and the jury is out on that one and only time will tell who had the stronger case. My opinion is that we won't be better off but I'm not an economist, just an ordinary bloke being bombarded with conflicting facts and figures.
    So, a large proportion in my experience had racist attitudes that led their decision process and some of the rest had coherent thoughts that were the at least worthy of respect, serious thought and reasoned debate. Sadly, they were a minority.

9. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    We have a very similar problem here, as well.

I note that Ms. May is asking for an extension. Think she'll get it?

UK's May askes EU to delay Brexit until June 30

10. aliceneko

aliceneko TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 28, 2017
    London, England
    Today there was a march for the People's Vote in central London today which was attended by over a million people who were against the Brexit referendum. There was also a trend going around on Twitter where supporters of the march posted photos of their shoes to signify that they were there in spirit, which was one of the top trending hashtags this afternoon around the time of the march. The petition to revoke Article 50 has also reached over a million signatures -
    Million joined Brexit protest, organisers say

doomsdave and catsknowme purraised this.

11. mightyboosh

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Folks seem too bamboozled at this stage to know anything for sure.
    Something I've just remembered, I saw an older, quite posh guy on TV saying that he wasn't exactly advocating the death penalty for those MP's trying to block Brexit but hanging "should be on the table." There are some extreme nutters out there and it's scary that they are given a vote.

doomsdave and catsknowme purraised this.

12. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Yeah, England's a bit divided, just like the U.S. But nothing like in times past. Not even close.

I don't imagine citizens of either country going to pick up arms against each other like, say the American Civil War. Things aren't that bad.

(So far anyway.)

Big Boy hopes so, too. Wars are so frightening . . . .

aliceneko and catsknowme purraised this.

13. mightyboosh

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Mrs May is now asking the Labour leader to help her reach a compromise exit deal that could be passed in the house but don't hold your breath on that one.
    They are also voting tonight on whether to make a no deal Brexit impossible in law.

14. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    It's certainly big news in the business press, especially the Wall Street Journal.

Apparently, exiteers were demanding too much.

15. golondrina

golondrina TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 3, 2011
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    I think a referendum would show that a large number of those having voted in favour of the Brexit have now changed their mind when they have realized the loss of many advantages and privileges. In otherwords Britain is leaving the EU with the majority of the people wishing to stay. Pity.

doomsdave, mightyboosh and catsknowme purraised this.

16. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    So calling our Brits!

Any further news?

17. mightyboosh

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    The news is not as saturated with the issue at the moment for some reason. I just know that I'm losing the will to live, what a mess.

18. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    The Prime Minister resigned. I listened to part of her speech and it sounds like the U.S. A democracy can only function by compromise and finding consensus. Compromise means no one gets everything they want, both sides can find things to bitch and complain about. This isn't new it is the way it has always been.

19. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    micknsnicks2mom and mightyboosh purraised this.

20. golondrina

golondrina TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 3, 2011
    Montevideo, Uruguay