Zero Carb Young Again Cat food

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am considering feeding this food to my CKD Stage II cat and I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with this type of medical issue. Our doctors suggest going to renal diet food. We tried some and my cat did not like it. In addition, I am concerned about the lower amount of proteins that the renal diet food usually have, and the recent studies that seem to suggest that low protein is no good for CKD cats in early stage.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am considering feeding this food to my CKD Stage II cat and I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with this type of medical issue. Our doctors suggest going to renal diet food. We tried some and my cat did not like it. In addition, I am concerned about the lower amount of proteins that the renal diet food usually have, and the recent studies that seem to suggest that low protein is no good for CKD cats in early stage.
Many people here have or have had cats in the past with kidney disease. I personally have had three kidney cats and none of them ever ate the prescription kidney diets. If you can, try to feed your cat wet food, since kidney cats need lots of hydration. I believe this food is in dry form, so even though it may be good for diabetic cats because of the low carb content, in my opinion it's not the best for kidney cats simply because it's dry. Depending on which one you choose, however, they do offer some that are low in phos, so that's good, since that IS what kidney cats need.

Many Vets are coming to the conclusion that lower protein is not necessarily the way to go with a kidney cat, particularly in the earlier stages. Our Vet wasn't at all concerned that we didn't feed a kidney specific diet. Her main concern was that our cats' ate, period. Anything they wanted! So that's what we did.

In case you haven't see this, here is my and many other's "go to" for anything kidney related when it comes to cats. It's not interactive but still has a wealth of information: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am super informed about the current advice for cats with kidney disease and I am a big fan of Tanya’s website. I have recently found Young Again and I have been intrigued by their low phosphorous diet and their approach to dry food and hydration. I was just wondering if anyone with a cat with kidney disease ever tried this food.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am super informed about the current advice for cats with kidney disease and I am a big fan of Tanya’s website. I have recently found Young Again and I have been intrigued by their low phosphorous diet and their approach to dry food and hydration. I was just wondering if anyone with a cat with kidney disease ever tried this food.