Yuki Is Spiking A Fever... We Dont Know Why.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Believe me, I have been through pancreatitis as well...and kidney disease...chronic UTI's - asthma, diabetes...

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FIP could give panting and fasting breathing because it could bring to pleural effusion. If his chest X-ray was clean, it could have been the fever to cause the rapid breathing. It happens in humans too, especially with this hot weather.
However, unexplained fever is often caused by FIP. But it seems a lot abrupt: FIP is a fast disease indeed, but usually not explosive in a couple of hours. I don't know, I am thinking (and hoping) it's something else.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
TThank you that is what I thought as well. Literally that is what it was. He went from healthy to lethargic and with a fever in the time it took for my husband and I to go to dinner and return - maybe three hours total at the most. He also has no other clinical signs - I think one type of cell was slightly elevated - otherwise, CBC, chem panel, chest exray, UA and abdominal ultrasound all normal.hank you that is what I thought as well. Literally that is what it was. He went from healthy to lethargic and with a fever in the time it took for my husband and I to go to dinner and return - maybe three hours total at the most. He also has no other clinical signs - I think one type of cell was slightly elevated - otherwise, CBC, chem panel, chest exray, UA and abdominal ultrasound all normal.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: the test showing the corona virus came back positive for FIP at 1-500, "moderately elevated". THe internal med doc thinks he has FIP .. Someone in one of the FIP FB groups says that the white count is always elevated with FIP but I dont know if that is true, or if it is, if it is so for the wet variety Yuki is home with meloxicam to keep the fever in check; and with mirtazipine to keep him eating. His behavior now is what I would consider very normal for a cat who has spent the last 4 day in a hospital. I am to give these meds for a week and then stop and see how he does. Again, as always, comments and feedback highly appreciated.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: the test showing the corona virus came back positive for FIP at 1-500, "moderately elevated". THe internal med doc thinks he has FIP .. Someone in one of the FIP FB groups says that the white count is always elevated with FIP but I dont know if that is true, or if it is, if it is so for the wet variety Yuki is home with meloxicam to keep the fever in check; and with mirtazipine to keep him eating. His behavior now is what I would consider very normal for a cat who has spent the last 4 day in a hospital. I am to give these meds for a week and then stop and see how he does. Again, as always, comments and feedback highly appreciated.
I've no feedback or experience, but I've read this thread hoping it wasn't FIP.
I can't offer any advice, but just know that we're pulling for you and Yuki. I sure hope these meds can help him.
Please keep us updated. You're among friends, after all :grouphug:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
myrnafaye myrnafaye ,
I'm sorry to read your last post...

I had a cat, Tom, who got FIP.
All of a sudden, he was fine, happy, alert and with a wonderful appetite, then, in a very few hours, he developed a fever, he was weak, he was lacking his legendary appetite and started hiding.
At first Tom was given an antipyretic, then a course of antibiotic, suspecting an infection, but a week later it was clear that something was really wrong. He started having breathing difficulties.
He was promptly taken to the veterinary university and a chest scan was done, where they found some fluid. Tom was drained and a huge amount of fluid was extracted.
I was there, next to him and the doctors, and as soon as I saw the color of the fluid being drained, I understood what it was, and the world collapsed on me before any doctor would speech a word...

Tom was hospitalized for 10 days and they drained a total of nearly 350 ml of fluid in three different sessions over 5 or 6 days.
They did all tests and the response was a very likely FIP.
I read everything had been published on this disease, and I learned Dr. Addie's website by heart.

Then Tom came back home where we continued the therapies... He was given an appetite stimulant, antibiotic twice a day, and the interferon, along with daily IV fluids and vitamins and supplements.
He never lost his loving and happy mood, till the last second.

He got his wings to the Rainbow Bridge at 6:35 pm, September 13th, 2013, 66 days since his first symptom :bawling:

This is my experience with this devil of a disease.
I'm terribly sorry, believe me :(

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Antonio65: Yuki is home, with meloxicam and also mirtazipine. His spirits seem quite good given what he has been through. He does not appear to have the wet form of FIP. His numbers were in the moderate range, and the vet did say FIP was not certain...I hope she did not say that just to make me feel better. I think the true test will be to see what happens when we take him off the meloxicam. He is such a great kitty.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I really, really hope it's not FIP. Poor baby. First the conjunctivitis, now this. :( Sending more healing vibes. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mirtazapine was what the vets gave to Tom.
Unfortunately there is no valid test to diagnose FIP for certain, and in the dry form it can be even worse.
I was told that with the wet form there's a test, called the Rivalta Test, that can assess FIP with a good degree of reliability, and it was what they did to Tom.

I do hope and pray that for Yuki it is something totally different and treatable, and that it's just a matter of time before the vets find what it is.
Fingers crossed here!

Last edited:

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have experience with FIP too, sadly. My grandfathers cat died of FIP, a classic wet form which was quite easy to diagnose.
Years later, my persian cat was diagnosed with FIP. He was around ten years old and he was recently exposed to other cats. He had high fever, letargy, he stopped to eat and hid under the coach all day. Coronavirus was positive and he also had a mild abdomen swelling. He got better with antibiotics and liquids, and then lived until year 17, so clearly the diagnosis was wrong.
Long story short, sometimes FIP is easy to find and diagnose, but in other cases it's way more difficult. I just wish we knew more about this disease.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh thanks for asking, Furballsmom. Yuki came home a week ago Wednesday. He was given meloxicam to keep the fever down and transdermal mirtazipine. He has been doing fine since. I have joined a couple of FIP groups on FB; they are wonderfully supportive and do not think Yuki has FIP. Apparently it is very misdiagnosed. All I can say is that he is back to his old self...good natured, eating playing, going after Mittens. I am bringing him in next wee to lear how to take his temp at home, and to possibly redo the coronavirus titre...AND possibly to discuss starting him on a drug called polyprenal immunostimulant. But the short answer is - he is fine now.