Yucca for cats

Rachelx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I accidentally let my cat eat yucca about the amount of pea size or less. Is he going to be okay?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Give these people a call, or your vet;

Here's the free pet poison control hotline:
Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rachelx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Give these people a call, or your vet;

I tried calling hut it goes to an engaged tone.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is your cat doing now?

Most of the articles I read about yucca plants seem to indicate that a very small amount is likely not to be an issue. I found this statement on many of them:
" As ASPCA notes, yucca is poisonous to cats, dogs, and even horses if taken in large amounts. Some of the signs of toxicity include weakness, drooling, vomiting, incoordination, dilated pupils, tachycardia, dyspnea..."

Rachelx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
there hasn't been any diarrhea in his litter box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
there hasn't been any diarrhea in his litter box.
I am just guessing but would think you would have seen some of the signs of toxicity by now if there was going to be a problem.

Do you have a vet you can call and just tell them about what he ate, when, and how he is doing now overall?

Rachelx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he's running around and doing everything as usual. So should I still call if I haven't seen any signs of vomiting or diarrhea? He pooped normally and had wet food twice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was informed that this line is manned during weekdays only now 8-5 PM M-F, so you could try them if you wanted to :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he's running around and doing everything as usual. So should I still call if I haven't seen any signs of vomiting or diarrhea? He pooped normally and had wet food twice.
It probably may not be necessary, but wouldn't you like to have it on record just in case something else occurs? It is just a precaution that you may or may not deem needed. Perhaps, if you do call and let them know they can tell you that your cat is essentially 'out of the woods'?

Rachelx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was informed that this line is manned during weekdays only now 8-5 PM M-F, so you could try them if you wanted to :)

okay, I'll try calling them now.

Rachelx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called them twice in 10-minute intervals and it's still making that engage noise as maybe someone else is on the call, or the number doesn't work.

Rachelx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It probably may not be necessary, but wouldn't you like to have it on record just in case something else occurs? It is just a precaution that you may or may not deem needed. Perhaps, if you do call and let them know they can tell you that your cat is essential 'out of the woods.
yeah defiantly. I just fell so foul that I couldn't call ASCPA or regular animal poison control because they take such a high fee. I called multiple ERs and they all said just to keep an eye on what they do and the symptoms. He hasn't thrown up on visible diarrhea when I went to clean his litter box. I don't know if I should be relieved or more scared. I gave him wet food both days, what else can I do?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a vet for routine care? If yes, then give the vet a call and ask for advice. A pea sized amount of yucca probably won't cause any harm but you should get reassurance. If your cat is acting just fine since eating the yucca then I wouldn't continue to worry about illness / toxicity.

when I google " Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679" I found a different number. (785) 532-5690: I'll try calling that.

That's the ER phone number for Kansas State University's onsite vet hospital. I don't think they'll be able to give you any more help than the local vet ERs you have already called.

Rachelx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have a vet for routine care? If yes, then give the vet a call and ask for advice. A pea-sized amount of yucca probably won't cause any harm but you should get reassurance. If your cat is acting just fine since eating the yucca then I wouldn't continue to worry about illness/toxicity.

That's the ER phone number for Kansas State University's onsite vet hospital. I don't think they'll be able to give you any more help than the local vet ERs you have already called.
yeah, they said because I'm from Los Angeles. Thy can't help me out.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Amazon.com : Solid Gold Sun Gold Yucca : Pet Supplies

I used this Yucca supplement for an arthritic dog back 20 years ago or so. I never used it on cats, and this product seems to have been discontinued, but the front label says for horses, dogs, and cats. But then again, IDK how much yucca was in each dosage. (I do remember the product really helped my dog get around in those later years.)

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen yucca on the ingredients for cat food, so think a small amount digested accidentally would be ok. Would check with a vet of course though.