Yowling and Urination

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! So my other cat Taki is a howler, always has been. He’s been a bit more vocal since my other cat has been in decline because of cancer. But I noticed he is yowling after urination. In October we took him in for bloodwork and tested for diabetes. All bloodwork good and diabetes test negative. I have done a urine strip test at home in November and also came back negative. He drinks eats and urinates so I don’t think he’s straining to pee at all because he goes quite a bit when he does.
He’s an older cat, yowls for my other cat to groom him and for our attention. Not sure what the litter box yowling is for. I’m going to try and do another urine strip test this week. Uti maybe?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Go ahead and try the urine strip, but I have heard they are really not that reliable. It would really be ideal if you/the vet could get a urine sample from him for a urinalysis/urine culture. But, does he yowl when peeing, or just afterward as he either leaves the litterbox, or as he walks to another area from the litter box? Big difference as to when he is doing it. If it is only afterward, it could be that he has some arthritis and the way he gets out of his box is bothering his arthritis.

Have you made note of all the times he is vocalizing excessively and see if there is a pattern that the 'pee-howling' fits into?

Have you looked into data about increased vocalization occurring in older cats? Perhaps, see if any of the other 'typical' signs apply to him as well? Feeby (15+ yo) has increased her 'squawking' in the past few months - but, she has had a pretty miserable 6 mos with her first-ever flea infestation and some indirectly-related health issues. She started the excessive squawking back then, and even though the fleas are gone and her health issues are over, she still squawks more than she used to. She does not, however, have any of the other cognitive issues described in older cats, so I have not gotten to the bottom of her noises - other than I think she is looking for attention.
Excessive Vocalization in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
Feline Senility: Cognitive Disorder in Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd certainly suggest a vet check, and DO mention the yowling at the litter box. I'd want an actual urine culture done, and ask about the early stages of developing crystals...enough to cause discomfort, but not yet at the blockage stage. For an older, male cat, that would be a concern for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was concerned about blockage but he urinates so much and not just a little at a time. He goes a lot at once. It’s never when he’s actual urinating, it’s when he has left the box. I’m going to try and take a clean sample to the vet if I can get it. I have him in a room now with some plastic litter in a box and some broth to get him to pee lol. He’s mad about it but I have two cats so I need them separate. He’s always been a yoweler when he wants attention. So he does it just walking around too if I’m on the couch with my other cat. I’ll see what I can find out. I’ll do a test strip at home and hopefully get a sample I can take to the vet first thing in the morning.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it’s blockage because he doesn’t have a hard time going. I did some test strips this morning on this fresh urine I collected straight from the source and all came back negative. I may take the sample to the vet. I have a feeling I’m going to have to put my other cat down at the end of this week or beginning of next and I’m wondering if he’s sensing it and may be more upset than usual. I just though it may be his urine or poop biz but they may not be related.

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have the vet get a fresh sample from him and have it tested and send it for culture. Recheck bloodwork, things can change in a few months. Also check his blood sugar again. I wouldn't solely trust urine strip tests, who knows where those came from or how old they are. Sounds like he needs more of a work up anyway.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your other cat. And it is possible that Taki can sense (or smell) that something is wrong with his friend. It may be a part of this. Especially since he yowls other places than the litter box. I don't want to depend on this, though. Do have a vet take a look at that urine. I'm with jen jen , the strips are a good place to start IF you get a positive, but there are a lot of things that could be happening, even with a negative.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I took the fresh urine in that morning for testing at my vet. He definitely senses something different with my other cat because he is slowing down and does give him as much attention anymore. Have not yet heard back on my sample but I’ll ask Monday since I need to take my other guy in

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was doing same thing and it turned out to be uti but probably started with struvite crystals. I'm told they are like shards of glass. My guy never blocked but Fowler until antibiotic and fus sol 2xs a day plus only wet diet.