YouTube "cat tv" channels

jb_catsite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I've been considering adopting a cat.

Unfortunately, I live in a condo. The "condo association" has this typical "one dog or one cat" rule.

This lame rule ignores the fact that cats are social animals who are likely to be less stressed (and therefore less destructive) if there is more than one.
It's stupid. But, I'm stuck with it.

So, I've been looking around for ways to keep a single cat entertained and happy.

One of the things I landed on are these numerous YouTube channels collectively called "cat tv". These are channels not about cats, for humans. But, rather, programming specifically designed to interest the cats themselves.

Typically, these channels focus cameras into a wilderness area where a picnic table or other flat surface has been liberally sprinkled with nuts, seeds, and other goodies that local birds or squirrels would find attractive. As a little predator, your cat, sitting at home, presumably watching this on a monitor, would find the visiting wildlife fascinating.

I'm wondering how many of you have actually tried this, and if you've had good luck with it?

For those of you who never heard of it, go to YouTube and search for "cat tv live" or "tv for cats". It will likely provide you a playlist of videos, each one is many hours (often, 8) long. They are for your cat to watch.

Thanks for your interest and responses.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I've been considering adopting a cat.

Unfortunately, I live in a condo. The "condo association" has this typical "one dog or one cat" rule.

This lame rule ignores the fact that cats are social animals who are likely to be less stressed (and therefore less destructive) if there is more than one.
It's stupid. But, I'm stuck with it.

So, I've been looking around for ways to keep a single cat entertained and happy.

One of the things I landed on are these numerous YouTube channels collectively called "cat tv". These are channels not about cats, for humans. But, rather, programming specifically designed to interest the cats themselves.

Typically, these channels focus cameras into a wilderness area where a picnic table or other flat surface has been liberally sprinkled with nuts, seeds, and other goodies that local birds or squirrels would find attractive. As a little predator, your cat, sitting at home, presumably watching this on a monitor, would find the visiting wildlife fascinating.

I'm wondering how many of you have actually tried this, and if you've had good luck with it?

For those of you who never heard of it, go to YouTube and search for "cat tv live" or "tv for cats". It will likely provide you a playlist of videos, each one is many hours (often, 8) long. They are for your cat to watch.

Thanks for your interest and responses.

you might consider getting a special needs kitty with the one cat rule. some prefer to be alone. also elderly kitties aren't quite as hyper active and in need of constant entertainment but just happy for someone to love them and a warm place to sit in a window.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have posted about this previously since my cat is totally addicted to cat tv. Her favorite are the mice and others off of that channel about bunnies!
each evening when it is time to come in from the sunporch all i have to say is
'cat tv' and she hops up on the bed ready for relaxation or a good mouse chase.
She has her own kindle and I have mine. I watch movies and she watches cat tv!!! 2 Peas in a pod are we !!
'I might add that there are great piano and harp relaxation videos on other you tube channels for cats that have slides of cats for cats and it puts the kitty in a great relaxed mood or even induces sleep! Puts me to sleep too!

They can't watch all day, but if I go out I turn on the big tv to cat tv and she likes that.
My single cat is one who is not interested in toys or lasers , but will play with a string of yarn in orange and red.(just those 2 colors get her going) I move it around like it is a wand toy(which she hates). Treat balls are also something to keep a single cat occupied.

A table in front of a window with a cushy mat or a set of steps in front of a window are great. Mine loves to sit and watch the wild rabbits and birds and squirrels.....AND the trucks. This is her favorite for window watching:

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would definitely recommend you adopt an older cat rather than a kitten then. There's some cats even as young as a year old that rescues mention in their profiles need to be an only pet. Those are a great option for you!

My cats always liked Discovery Channel's Small World (about different tiny animals). There's lots of wildlife cams as well. Some cats are not fond of a screen and may prefer people watching or something similar. Access to a window is always great (careful not to open too much that they can get out of the screen!)

There's also electric toys like this: HEXBUG nano® Robotic Cat Toy - Assorted

There loads of different food enrichment puzzles and lick mats. Great enrichment for a solo cat.

If you're allowed to have a small fish tank, that's also great entertainment. In a small 5 gallon you can have a snail, few shrimps and any kind of fish that doesn't breed a lot.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is very territorial and won;t tolerate even a lifelike stuffed toy in the apartment. She is definitely a solitary senior cat.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thefiresidecat thefiresidecat and A Alldara have great advice about adopting a special needs cat, an older cat, or a cat that needs to be a single pet. Many rescue groups will be able to help you find the best kitty partner for your living situation.

A YouTube channel I HIGHLY recommend is Paul Dinning's Wildlife in Cornwall. They're videos for cats that are full of close up videos of various wildlife animals: birds, squirrels, the occasional bug, etc. My cats absolutely LOVE his videos. They also range in length from a few minutes to several hours.
https://m.youtube.com/@PaulDinningWildlifeInCornwall

Another possible option is to attract birds to your condo. We live in a high rise building with no outdoor/balcony space, so I simply put birdseed on our windowsills every night (I always put our cats in another room before opening a window). We used a bird whistle to attract the birds in the morning and it only took a few weeks for the birds to regularly show up every day (and we use a no-mess/shell-free birdseed to avoid making a big mess). Here's a picture of one of our windows for reference and a link to the bird whistle we used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002E1MWO/?tag=thecatsite
IMG_0409.jpeg

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of cats at rescues that need to be in only cat homes. We have adopted several like that over the years. Not one of them liked other cats or even other animals. One of them would growl and threaten dogs if she saw them (a friend stopped by and brought her cat friendly dog up on our back porch. Puddin lunged at the door to the porch (from the house) growling and whacking the glass! No big tail or anything, she was all business. 16 yrs old and 4 teeth in her head.

You should be able to find an middle aged or older cat that is a bit more settled that needs to be in an only cat home if you are gone from home for work or travel. We adopted a younger cat, Buddy (almost 3 - adopted last year) last time. He needed to be in a single cat home. He does not like other animals at all. He loves people and wants all their attention. We work from home and do not travel, so felt we could give him the attention he needs. It has worked out very well. He absolutely loves people and is happy to meet anyone/everyone that comes in the house.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Glad you joined the site and would like to give an adopted cat their forever home.:hearthrob: I agree with the above member that suggested putting birdseed on your window. There are bird feeders from as low as $10.00 and up that attach to a window, here's a link with some examples: Amazon.com : window-mounted bird feeder

I also agree a middle aged cat would be a good choice for your situation. Make sure you spend some quality time with the potential cat at the shelter or rescue to see how he or she interacts with you. Our last cat who was rather vocal loved Animal Planet particularly the show about Meerkats called Meerkat Manor. She could probably watch it all day. :biggrin: On the other hand, our present cat loves to watch hockey. He is intrigued by following the puck go up and back on the ice. So all cats are different and once your new feline acclimates to your surroundings you'll get a better feel for their preferences. Best of luck and be sure to keep us updated.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Glad you joined the site and would like to give an adopted cat their forever home.:hearthrob: I agree with the above member that suggested putting birdseed on your window. There are bird feeders from as low as $10.00 and up that attach to a window, here's a link with some examples: Amazon.com : window-mounted bird feeder

I also agree a middle aged cat would be a good choice for your situation. Make sure you spend some quality time with the potential cat at the shelter or rescue to see how he or she interacts with you. Our last cat who was rather vocal loved Animal Planet particularly the show about Meerkats called Meerkat Manor. She could probably watch it all day. :biggrin: On the other hand, our present cat loves to watch hockey. He is intrigued by following the puck go up and back on the ice. So all cats are different and once your new feline acclimates to your surroundings you'll get a better feel for their preferences. Best of luck and be sure to keep us updated.
My cat is afraid of everything! I just turned on the meercats,her eyes became large saucers,and she turned her back on the screen huddled at my feet.
However it looks like a fantastic documentary series!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willy loves Cat TV -- I use YouTube as well as a DVD I bought somewhere random that's called "Movies for Cats," which basically is the same as what you can find on YouTube.

One caveat... Willy was declawed before I got him. And he used to lunge at the TV when he was younger (he is now 10 and doesn't do that anymore). I didn't worry about it since he has no front claws. But there can be damage to your screen, if it is in reach of your cat.

But the "Cat TV" concept only works in small doses. He is genuinely enthralled by it for 10-20 minutes, but then loses interest.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Mine dives behind the screen when the mice or birds fly off thinking they are behind it . She alsi just looks all up in the air ffor the birds as well. She just can't figure out where they went. Occaisionally I hide some treats behind the screen. She loves that!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom & stepdad's cat likes watching golf. My stepdad watches golf, and their cat likes watching the ball fly through the air. She tries to catch it.