Your States' Favorite Side Dishes - Thanksgiving 2017

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
According to this, the favored side dish for Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania (and Ohio) is Buffalo Chicken Dip. I have to disagree. While I do love Buffalo Chicken Dip, I wouldn't want it for Thanksgiving Dinner. Cheesecake and pecan pie are not side dishes, more like desserts.

If you're from the US, do you agree with this list?

Thanksgiving 2017: This Is Maryland's Favorite Side Dish

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NJ - crab cake.
Seriously? Nobody serves that at Thanksgiving. Do they think we all live at the beach?
On the other hand, it's a great idea and I for one, would welcome the change :D

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't really see that many traditional Thanksgiving side dishes on that list. A lot of desserts and appetizer type of things. I would think that dressing or stuffing in some form would be a pretty universal side dish. There are different ingredients in it depending on the part of the country you are in but I think it is a popular Thanksgiving side dish in most parts of the country.

I agree about the Buffalo Chicken dip. I wouldn't say that I love it but it is okay. It isn't a side dish though, it's an appetizer or a game day snack.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wisconsin's is shrimp? Not anyone I know! Everyone around here thinks it's weird that we have mac and cheese as a side.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whats the deal with Wyoming and a pork chop. In whose world is a pork chop a side dish?

I think mac and cheese is a common Thanksgiving side dish in the South. We always have dressing or stuffing, mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole. I think mac and cheese would be one dish to many. I get the mac and cheese in Wisconsin though, the whole thing about Wisconsin cheese.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arizona is shrimp. Really? Do you see an ocean around here?

My guess is that actually more something with either corn or salsa. Or both.
I've lived here all my life and never heard of shrimp on Thanksgiving.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Montana - oven roasted vegetables. We don’t make any for Thanksgiving?

And sorry but we do Mac and cheese as a meal not a side. I wouldn’t be able to eat anything else.

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never known anybody from Maryland that ever served crab cakes for Thanksgiving. But I don't live on the shore. I would say the most common side dish in Maryland is Green Bean Casserole.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They list sweet potato pie for favorite from NC. That is a dessert, not a side dish. But yes, it is generally on everybody's menu for Thanksgiving.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Florida's is pumpkin cheesecake? Hmm.. no. I don't know anyone who serves pumpkin cheesecake as a side dish to anything. I wouldn't touch it anyway. I don't like any kind of cheesecake. I would say mac & cheese or mashed potatoes would be closer to the truth here.

They went off recipe searches from bettycrocker.com and pillsbury.com. Why they chose to classify everything from the searches as side dishes is beyond me.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Traditional sides here have always been mashed potatoes, bread stuffing, butternut squash, turnip, pearl onions, pickles, peas, cranberry sauce and salad. The list had us as cheesecake. I would, however, love to add mac and cheese at all cost!:lol:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm......NY, cheesecake. :think: well, there are some great cheesecakes made here in NY State. but with Thanksgiving dinner, as a dessert? i'm not thinking that's the most 'favored' here.

i really don't feel like i'd be...qualified to make a guess at what side dish(es) would be favored here in NY State. i know what was served while i was growing up, but not what other people served.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I've NEVER eaten chicken spaghetti, let alone had it for Thanksgiving and I'm 100% native Texan and have been for 71 years. I didn't see much of anything on that list that would appear on my Thanksgiving table. Cajun fried turkey is pretty popular, sided with mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans in some form, dressing, usually cornbread but sometimes bread dressing made by transplanted Yankees, maybe some greens (turnip or mustard are good), corn, something weird like Aunt Emma's candied spaghetti squash surprise, ham, sometimes brisket, sometimes some pinto beans, and always cranberry sauce, most often jellied, and of course, hot rolls. Yuppies have turducken with different stuffing between each bird. The really old-fashioned bring those horrid molded Jell-O salads (usually lime or lemon) with who-knows-what in them. Dessert is usually pumpkin and pecan pies. No appetizers to spoil the appetite for dinner.

We're rarely conventional at my house. This year we're having stuffed flounder. In the past we've had beef curry, lobster, prime ribeye, beer can chicken, and escargot for an appetizer. You never know what we're going to do since there is just the two of us.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am having fried turkey for the first time this year. I am not making it but I know it is going to be injected with creole seasoning and dusted with creole seasoning. I am looking forward to it.

I think some type of dressing or stuffing is pretty much everywhere in the U.S. It takes many different forms and different ingredients but it is a dressing or stuffing. I am used to bread stuffing. I grew up in Kansas and have lived in Ohio for years.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've NEVER eaten chicken spaghetti, let alone had it for Thanksgiving and I'm 100% native Texan and have been for 71 years. I didn't see much of anything on that list that would appear on my Thanksgiving table. Cajun fried turkey is pretty popular, sided with mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans in some form, dressing, usually cornbread but sometimes bread dressing made by transplanted Yankees, maybe some greens (turnip or mustard are good), corn, something weird like Aunt Emma's candied spaghetti squash surprise, ham, sometimes brisket, sometimes some pinto beans, and always cranberry sauce, most often jellied, and of course, hot rolls. Yuppies have turducken with different stuffing between each bird. The really old-fashioned bring those horrid molded Jell-O salads (usually lime or lemon) with who-knows-what in them. Dessert is usually pumpkin and pecan pies. No appetizers to spoil the appetite for dinner.

We're rarely conventional at my house. This year we're having stuffed flounder. In the past we've had beef curry, lobster, prime ribeye, beer can chicken, and escargot for an appetizer. You never know what we're going to do since there is just the two of us.
Oh man those Jello molds. Those were awful. I remember them having Cool Whip and canned fruit of some kind in them. Usually fruit cocktail which I also hate because of the grapes. Canned green grapes should not be a thing that exists.

Stuffed flounder? Yum. We are having ribeye steaks with mashed potatoes and salad.