Your Opinions Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In lay terms, Scintigraphy is a diagnostic procedure done prior to the radioactive iodine injection. Since it is done before giving the injection it does not require the cat to stay longer. It helps the radiologist determine the size of the tumor on the thyroid so that they know the exact amount of radiation required to treat the Hyperthyroidism. Without the use of Scintigraphy they're merely guessing or giving all cats the same amount of radiation. I honestly don't know if it's new. But the radiologist also explained to me that if there are multiple tumors or extremely large tumors they would opt for removing the thyroid as opposed to doing the I-131.

Here is an article with a thorough explanation of Scintigraphy: Thyroid scintigraphy in hyperthyroidism - PubMed
Fortunately this doesn't apply to my cat because she is a borderline case and that is the problem. They are really not 100% sure she has it. All blood tests came back the same -- borderline.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It helps the radiologist determine the size of the tumor on the thyroid so that they know the exact amount of radiation required to treat the Hyperthyroidism
If you allow me to add a few words to your post, scintigraphy also helps vets understand whether there are hectopic masses, that is when another mass is producing thyroid hormones outside the thyroid itself.
Usually these hectopic masse can locate in the cat's chest. The scintigraphy spots them and allows vets to use the proper dosage of I-131 in order to fight all masses.
It looks like a CT scan or an X-ray image, you can see something on Google.
The cat is injected with a mildly radioactive fluid which bonds to tumor cells, and the scan detects these cells and gives back an image of these masses and their location.
I don't think its something new, I knew it was used, I found it mentioned in some online papers and also the facility told me they would have used it. It was 2017.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You said you did two blood tests, I'm assuming the second was the free T4, which is a more definitive test?

Feline Thyroid Tests
I really don't know but I must assume that if he wanted it done again it would have to be the T4 and even after that he consulted with another Vet as to which way to go. He is approaching slowly and not rushing into anything -- hence the gel before the iodine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He is approaching slowly and not rushing into anything -- hence the gel before the iodine.
I think that's very wise and if it helps, one more reason why I chose to try the transdermal gel first. Best of luck and please keep us posted on how it works out for Norma Jean. BTW, I have to ask - is she named after Marilyn Monroe's real name?

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that's very wise and if it helps, one more reason why I chose to try the transdermal gel first. Best of luck and please keep us posted on how it works out for Norma Jean. BTW, I have to ask - is she named after Marilyn Monroe's real name?
Answer: But of COURSE!!!! Because she is simply a gorgeous and sexy looking cat!;)