Your Funny Moments At The Vet?

Luthien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Creating this thread because my cat made the most hilarious face when they pilled him yesterday. As he’d just gotten groomed, he was in a bad mood and absolutely refusing to cooperate, so the vet scruffed him and ran the pill along the seam of his mouth. My chubby-cheeked cat went all cross-eyed and looked super offended that this was being done to him. I’m sorry to say this but I burst out laughing. I feel so guilty now :))

There was also a time when I took him in to get bloodwork and fecals done. I could hear him yowling like he was being murdered in the examination room (I wanted the ground to swallow me up, I was so embarrassed) and when it was time to leave, I put him back in his carrier and the vet and staff all gathered to wave goodbye to him. He very slowly and deliberately stood up and turned his back to them, nose in the air. What a brat!

Would love to hear the funny things your fur babies do at the vets... xD

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At Charlie's second visit, they had to draw blood to test for feline leukemia, so the vet took him into the back. When she returned, she was laughing. "All I did was gently hold him down on the table, and he started screaming bloody murder!" I can imagine him doing that.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We had such a terrific vet in Colorado. The office had a separate waiting room for cats which was a big help, and our vet had a real with affinity kitties. I had the girls in for their regular checkups, and Lily jumped off the table, scuttled over to the corner, leaped up on the counter, and “hid” in the small sink. Our vet just laughed and said, “That’s okay. I’ll examine her in the sink.” And she put a lightweight towel over the sink so Lily felt more protected. Not funny, exactly, but a great experience for me! :)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got out of the truck, I heard a gawd awful commotion around the side of the building. Not real sure what they were doing, but...they were doing it to an extremely agitated 2500 bull. I thought he was going to tear down the vet building and take the vet and staff with him. And that was no big deal, business as usual.
20 minutes later Gibs decided he didn't much care for shots....and the office and waiting room cleared out. :flail::flail:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think this is funny but Felix is a sprayer and he has really good aim. His ability to shot far always amazes me. He always pees on everyone when we take him to the vet because he's nervous so his bladder gives out. Nervous pee is smellier and he always seems to have more than half a cup of it.

Everyone always says, "Wow! Your cat is beautiful! Look at you little cutie!" They take him to the back for whatever and come back with pee stains on their work clothes.

He also has the tendency to latch on like a koala to anyone who is handling him.

I can imagine his thought process is something along the lines of...
Me: *Brings out the carrier*
Felix: Hahah, what are you doing with that? Okay, now you're grabbing me... I don't like this at all. Oh! We're going to the car now? Okay, I really do not like this.
Me: *Arrives at vet - brings Felix inside*
Felix: Man, I really DO NOT like this place.

Lotski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Penny the day she came home with her feeding tube... She was sniffing around in the examination room after the vet explained and showed us how to feed her, and suddenly she sat on her chair behind the desk with the sassiest face ever. Ready to do some administration-pose. That little head suddenly popping up... I laughed way too hard.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had a couple of funny incidents at the vet.

We got Loki when he was about 8 weeks old. On his first visit to the vet, one of the things they did was take his temperature. My wife and I were standing in front of Loki, and when they put the thermometer in his rear end, we both thought Loki's were going to pop out. Those eyes seemed to grow to twice their normal size.

Our late cat PJ was such a mellow cat. The vet used to have trouble listening to his heart because as soon as he put the stethoscope on him, he would start purring. One time when the vet put a blood pressure cuff on his leg, PJ just laid on his side and fell asleep. Needless to say, he didn't have high blood pressure.

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lulu isn't fond of the vet and as soon as I get the carrier out she gives me the look of "Oh no, not the vet again." She's pretty feisty and had to be sedated to draw blood last visit. Now she suddenly acquired a few matts on her back, so off to the vet next week for some sedation and a hair cut. I should have some interesting photos to post afterwards...! Sorry Lulu!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought Fritz to the vet for a possible eye infection. He was pretty laid back, but we always brought treats to the vet with us, just to make sure they had something nice while there. Well, it was time for the vet to take his temperature and my husband was giving him a couple of treats at the same time. Our vet burst out laughing, because she had never seen a cat so nonchalant about getting something shoved up his bum, to the point that he would continue eating!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy likes to explore so one time he walked across the counter nosing around and walked into the sink. The sink has one of those automatic faucets with a sensor. Leroy triggered the sensor and water sprayed out at him. Leroy skittered away, stopped to look back at the sink, then skittered back to his carrier :lol: The vet came in shortly afterwards and as he was examining Leroy, he jokingly asked why Leroy was so wet :lol: Last year Emma did the exact same thing.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had such a terrific vet in Colorado. The office had a separate waiting room for cats which was a big help, and our vet had a real with affinity kitties. I had the girls in for their regular checkups, and Lily jumped off the table, scuttled over to the corner, leaped up on the counter, and “hid” in the small sink. Our vet just laughed and said, “That’s okay. I’ll examine her in the sink.” And she put a lightweight towel over the sink so Lily felt more protected. Not funny, exactly, but a great experience for me! :)
We all hope to find a vet like this. With my last vet, the last straw that made me find a better one (I did!) was having the vet give Oliver to the "Tech" to have blood drawn. When I got him back his whole bib was practically dripping alcohol! He was soaked! He had to breathe that all the way home. My current vt just uses a drop on the inner side of back leg and I challenge you to find where they drew the blood. That first vet was atrocious!

Not, funny....sorry to hijack but I like the stories of good vets who adore cats. I had to horror of a money making mill rather than a vet clinic that loves animals.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Odd that my cat Coco took a year to leave my bedroom but at the vets, while waiting, she jumped on the counter at the sink and started to explore. Luckily, there was nothing on top because she likes to knock things down and tear up Kleenex

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take my girls to a small local cat-only vet practice. When I brought 4 month old Grembly in for her initial vet visit, all the staff went bonkers for her! They hadn’t seen an oriental shorthair in their practice yet and everyone wanted to meet her. By the end of the visit, Grembly & I had met both the practices’ vets, 2 of the groomers, 2 front desk staff, & 3 techs. One of the techs even asked to take a selfie with her!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper is a spelunker. He likes to explore the kitchen cupboards when he's at home. He's pretty adept at using his paw to pull the doors open and sneak inside.

The cabinets at the vet's office have the same type of doors on them so Casper knows how to get inside and make himself at home. That's where he goes to hide when he's at the vet.

The first time we took Casper to the vet, the doctor came in and asked, "Where is he?" She laughed, went in to get him and we carried on with the business at hand.

The second time, the vet came in and we just pointed at the cabinet door. She said, "Uh-huh..." and carried on.

After that, the vet just came in the room, didn't see the cat and immediately looked under the cabinet.

I said, "He's spelunking," and she laughed. :D

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took a dog to the vet that wasn't peeing.
Brought the dog into the exam room, vet came in, we told them what was happening. The dog took 2 steps, squatted, and voided about 6 gallons of pee.
The vet (whose shoulders were shaking and was slowly turning the color of an over cooked lobster from trying not to laugh) sputtered "I think he's fine".

If you leave a dog loose in the car while you take another animal in, don't be surprised if they manage to lay on the horn and stay that way until you're done inside.

The cat who needed his temperature taken. He tried to move away and backed himself into the thermometer.

When our chronically ill cat was taken in for not being able to poop, the vet said they'd have to do a dig out enema. I looked at the vet and said bluntly "that's what I get for telling him he's full of **** for years, isn't it" :lol:

Baby Girl, newly found weighing in at a whopping 1 pound, fighting like a police dog when the vet wanted to do a FeLv test. She was screaming and swearing and throwing punches (the cat, not the vet :crazy:)

Doing big time TNR work, calling the very busy clinic that helps a lot of people and they knew my voice. Also, showing up and realizing our file looked less like a file and more like a dictionary.

The big clinic hired in a lot of new people at one point and there was some confusion as people were learning how to work together. One tech asked me if I was still giving a cat certain medicines twice a day, and I said "the vet took them off that about 6 months ago." The tech paused, read through the chart, then said "well, s***" and I just broke up laughing.

I'm sure there are others, I'll share if and when I remember them :lol:

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reeses (RIP 2018) had a bad yeast infection in her ear. The vet was trying to clean her ears out with a cotton swab, but was ONLY holding on to Reeses' ear. The vet then got ointment in her eye while trying to apply it to her ears. Reeses was not happy (I was livid). She jumped down onto the floor as we talked about a treatment plan. There was an old dial scale on the floor that was missing it's glass cover. Reeses parked her butt over the hole and peed while glaring at the vet with one eye closed. When she was finished, she trotted over to my mother (her person) and asked to be picked up. Reeses destroyed that scale. It was incredibly clear to everyone in the room that Reeses did it out of spite for the rough treatment she received. Gosh, I miss her. She was an amazing cat.