Your Fish!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lets have a fish pic thread!

My first fish was a Roundtail Betta, who I named Sweeney (I was seaching for a red Betta anyways, just so I could name him Sweeney, lol). He's got the weakest tail, I swear; he's always blowing it out. I finally got exasperated and I switched all his silk plants with live ones, and put stockings over the filter input and output. I thought I solved the problem, as he healed almost to the way he looked when I bought him. Then one night, I checked on him before bed, and his tail was nearly all gone. Tsk. He's healing again, but I'm giving up. I'll just wait for him to blow it out again, and I'll give the proper treatment (Melafix).

Then I got Leroidesanimaux (Leroy for short), which means King of the Animals. He's a red and blue Crowntail and he's just soooooo cute! They say CTs have weak tails, but Leroy has yet to hurt his tail in any way.

Last week (somewhere thereabouts, lol), my sister's friend gave me her Veiltail Betta, as she couldn't care for him anymore. His name is Ed Gein, after the serial murdering cannibal (the fish ate his guppy mate, apparantly, which is when he got renamed Ed Gein. He was orginally Dr Seuss, lol). Ironically, before I got Sweeney, Ed Gein (or Dr Seuss, as he was called then) came to be fish-sat, and it was my first experience caring for a fish and NOT killing it (in late October last year, this same friend gave us a fish to fish-sit for a weekend, and I ended up killing him, accidently. But it stirred up an interest in fish and I started doing research, and many months later, I finally brought Sweeney home). And now the first fish that I cared for (and didn't kill...) is now mine as well. He's much more ordinary than Sweeney and Leroy, but he's HUGE! My gosh, he's a bruiser! And while he's plain to look at (compared to my other two), when I took pictures, I was shocked at how much color showed up. He's actually quite pretty in a camera's eyes!

(to see him with your own eyes, he's a dark, dark blue, with a hint of red in his fins. So not much color, until you get a camera's opinion, lol)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also have other fish (putting this in another post, as my Bettas took up a lot of room by themselves, lol)

In Sweeney's tank, there are two African Dwarf Frogs (they've been here only a few days, maybe a little more). One is named Ichabod (the bigger guy), and the other is Crane. I was afraid at first at how Sweeney would react, but he hasn't been a problem. When I put their bag in the tank water to warm it up and start "converting" them to Sweeney's water, Sweeney started pecking at the bag. But he wasn't pecking at them. No, no, not at all. He saw a little speck of fish food, a flake, that was stuck to the bag on the inside, and he was trying to get it. When I let the frogs go into the tank, Sweeney was curious, and every time one of the frogs would bolt for the surface for a breath of air, Sweeney would twirl around and race over to that section of the tank, almost like he was calling, "Who did that?! Who's there?! I know I saw something!" Now, he couldn't care less. It's hard feeding them, though, since Sweeney's a pig, and when I have the turkey baster with brine shrimp hovering near the frog's face, Sweeney will be pecking at the opening, trying to get the shrimp. Good news, Sweeney hasn't been beating up or bullying the frog, even if they're touching, and the frog is happy

(they're all of Ichabod, expect the last one; that's Crane's foot, lol. He's more timid and is always hiding)

In my 60gal (been cycling since the end of November! But is finally ready for fish) now houses 3 Clown Loaches and 4 YoYo Loaches. I've been looking forward to having fish in there for so long, that now I'm flabbergasted as to what I should put in there. I already know that I want female Bettas and some Corydoras, and I think I'm set for Loaches (though I may add in a few more, like Khuli Loaches), lol. Maybe Tetras or Danios or something... I dunno... Anyway, the Clowns and YoYos are having a blast and I was surprised at how savage (okay, I'm exagerating) they got when I gave them brine shrimp. The Clowns love their sinking wafers (I even have a video of two of them fighting over one), but the YoYos won't touch them. So I tried brine shrimp and almost the second I put the turkey baster in there, they come flocking out and hoovering up sand. One of them will go right up to the turkey baster and all but shove his head inside, trying to get the shrimp. I always add in too much (they eat one, then move away and leave the 10 others that fall, lol) and they go to town during the night. I had the Clowns in there first, and while they weren't hiding, they were a little scarce. But when I added the YoYos, they've warmed up and they're always out scavenging for food. Security in numbers, dontcha know? lol

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a female blackskirt tetra, the sole survivor of a tank crash, sadly, the move from Utah to California was too much for her.

Now I have Dude, a male veiltail betta.
I never buy fish from Walmart, it's goes against my principals as I don't think they should be selling live animals at all.
Dude though was a special case for me.
He was in the typical plastic cup, tail and dorsal blown out, almost completely devoid of any color and was being teased by kids tapping on and shaking his cup, so I took him away and put him in my cart.
In about 3 days he was a different fish, his dorsal is almost all grown back and his badly split tail is recovering, and he has great color.
He is a mixed color Cambodian, instead of just red, or just blue, his fins and tail are red with streaks of blue.
He's a very shy guy though and very hard to photograph (probably from being teased so much in his cup)

Here are the best pics of Dude
This one kinda shows his color, though he thinks he's hiding

This one shows the bad split in his tail, he still thinks he's hiding.

And these two are with the flourescent aquarium light off.

It's amazing what 5 gallons of clean, cycling water and some inexpensive antibiotics can do.

Now that he's no longer at Death's door, I need to fingure out what kind of janitorial tank mate to get him.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im not much of a Beta/Gold Fish person.. mine all seem to die
the longest Beta I ever had lasted about 3 months and the longest golfish I had lasted about 1 1/2 months... although I do awsomely with Guppies! lol they seem to last a long time!... I hope to get a couple soon.
Have any secrets to good fish care?

Although all your fish are very pretty!!!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aaaaaaah now you started me off!
all the males died of internal parastites!
but here they are

titan-plekat

rickys Tango - Halfmoon

my rufus- Crowntail

rickys bandicoot Veiltail

and theres a few more but not as impressive!

the girls still living!
ruby-CT

shimmer-PK

norma-SUPER delta

the list goes on haha, used too breed them and will again one day!
just need a new male haha
anyone want any help illness wise or anyother with fish or betta's i am trained by the best!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo, some nice looking fishy's in here! i don't tend to take many picture's of the fish we have LOL, however they are MONSTER fish, i'll leave it to the other half to post (if he can be bothered)!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have pretty pictures like everyone else does
Then again, I don't have the prettiest fish either!
He's an oscar.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

id swap a mouse for him hes a stunner!
You talking to me!? He doesn't look the greatest in that picture. He's usually more black than that. He's the size of my hand now!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

You talking to me!? He doesn't look the greatest in that picture. He's usually more black than that. He's the size of my hand now!
yeah u lol!
i love oscars theyre fabulous id love one but our biggest tank is 20-23 gallons

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oooh...pretty fish everyone!
I LOVE oscars! I used to have one named "Oskee",back in the day.Love them,they are one of my favorite fish!

Here are my bettas.

Nemo - actually belongs to my daughter

Lotus

Darkness

The funny thing about Darkness is...the camera gives him more color,something like the original poster was saying about one of hers.Darkness is actually quite dark,almost black with some goldy flecks in his finnage.You don't see this greeny color when there is no camera! Even in the light,he is very dark.Thats why I wanted him.But the camera likes to make him prettier!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

Oooh...pretty fish everyone!
I LOVE oscars! I used to have one named "Oskee",back in the day.Love them,they are one of my favorite fish!

Here are my bettas.

Nemo - actually belongs to my daughter

Lotus

Darkness

The funny thing about Darkness is...the camera gives him more color,something like the original poster was saying about one of hers.Darkness is actually quite dark,almost black with some goldy flecks in his finnage.You don't see this greeny color when there is no camera! Even in the light,he is very dark.Thats why I wanted him.But the camera likes to make him prettier!
you got some nice finnage in those bettas!!
beautiful colour

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

yeah u lol!
i love oscars theyre fabulous id love one but our biggest tank is 20-23 gallons
I really like them too! They are a lot like betta's personallity wise because they are always happy to see you!
I've only got a 30 gallon tank right now. I'm sure he would be much happier in a larger tank, but that's all I have for now.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I really like them too! They are a lot like betta's personallity wise because they are always happy to see you!
I've only got a 30 gallon tank right now. I'm sure he would be much happier in a larger tank, but that's all I have for now.
dont tempt me haha
im going too try my hand at goldfish hehe!
but ill be getting a male Betta again i have too many show females going too waste

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I just took some pictures that do Giuseppi some justice.

From both sides

And I had to get a flash light so you can see how beautifully he shines when he's swimming around the tank.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ok I just took some pictures that do Giuseppi some justice.

From both sides

And I had to get a flash light so you can see how beautifully he shines when he's swimming around the tank.
ooohhhhhhh

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are some of my betta boys

Wallflower:

Dylan:

Khan:

Cinder:

Gregory:

Phoenix: