Your First Cat

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was 8 or 9, we walked past a pet store in the mall. The cat in the window followed us the whole length down, with his nose pressed against the glass. I told my mom that he had chosen us. She kept walking. Neither her nor my dad were cat people, as they had only ever had dogs. On the way back to the car, we passed him again, and he did the same thing. I asked again, and for some reason...my parents relented.

Mr. Mudd was the coolest cat. He thought he was human I think. He would sit on his bum on the couch, with his back against the rest, and his little arm on the arm rest. He would drink out any wine glass that was left in the open. He also loved cheese. (Hmm...now that I think about it, he was a cat after my own tastes now.) He was named after the local newscaster, as my brother and I liked to put his front paws up on the kitchen table and have him do the evening news. (I don't think he minded)

Sadly, he was an indoor/outdoor kitty, and he was hit by a car. He opened the cat door to our home, and there's been at least one there ever since. My folks only have indoor kitties now, thankfully, as up until a couple years ago they still lived on that same busy street.

When I moved out on my own, I wanted to get a kitty right away. It wasn't until seven years later that I was finally living in a place that would allow them. I was ecstatic when that time came, and adopted Pooka only two days after I moved in.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul McCatney (Guess who he was named for?
) found us when I was about nine years old and we were living in Versailles, Ky. He was saddled with the full name of Paul Tom Jones What's New Pussycat Ralph Meow McCatney. He lived with us about twenty years when he was deaf, had no teeth and couldn't see all that well. He made the move with us from Versailles to Lexington , Ky. He was very happy there. I remember the last day I ever saw him as if it were yesterday. He was sitting on the front porch and thinking he wanted in I opened the front door but he just looked at me and walked off the porch and that was the last I saw of him.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wish I could remember my 1st cat! My parents always had at least 1 cat and 1 dog; often more. I never remember not having pets! (And that's not such a bad thing, huh?). Teaching me how to handle and be responsible for pets was one of the best things Mom and Dad ever did for me. I think pets are very important for kids, as long as they're monitored when with them, and made to take responsibility for them--not that the last part happens often enough!
I also had guinea pigs, fish, and wild rabbits at varioud times.

I THINK my 1st cat's name was Snowball--or maybe she was just before my time; I just remember seeing home movies of this white cat, who had a white tuft on her head, hence her name. I may have been 2 or 3 when we had her. I do remember poor, long-suffering Sandy; a "Morris" cat, who I used to dress up in doll's clothes, and push in a doll's pram. Poor guy! No wonder he ran away from home!

The first dog I remember was Buddy, my older brother's collie mix. He saved my brother's life once, and he was so attached to Buddy. I was 5 when Buddy had to be put down; I remember Mom telling me to make sure I said good-bye to Buddy before I left for school; I had no idea what was going to happen; and I was heart-broken, as was my brother, when we got home.

Before he died, Dad always said his last wish would be to go to Heaven, and be with every dog and cat he ever had. I sure hope it happened...

MargeCat

MargeCat

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Boog's Mom

When I was 8 or 9, we walked past a pet store in the mall. The cat in the window followed us the whole length down, with his nose pressed against the glass. I told my mom that he had chosen us. She kept walking. Neither her nor my dad were cat people, as they had only ever had dogs. On the way back to the car, we passed him again, and he did the same thing. I asked again, and for some reason...my parents relented.

Mr. Mudd was the coolest cat. He thought he was human I think. He would sit on his bum on the couch, with his back against the rest, and his little arm on the arm rest. He would drink out any wine glass that was left in the open. He also loved cheese. (Hmm...now that I think about it, he was a cat after my own tastes now.) He was named after the local newscaster, as my brother and I liked to put his front paws up on the kitchen table and have him do the evening news. (I don't think he minded)

Sadly, he was an indoor/outdoor kitty, and he was hit by a car. He opened the cat door to our home, and there's been at least one there ever since. My folks only have indoor kitties now, thankfully, as up until a couple years ago they still lived on that same busy street.

When I moved out on my own, I wanted to get a kitty right away. It wasn't until seven years later that I was finally living in a place that would allow them. I was ecstatic when that time came, and adopted Pooka only two days after I moved in.
We once had a cat who loved wine and cheese--Tiger. My Mom has a cheese sandwich, and a small glass of wine before bed every night. Tiger used to sidle up to her glass, pretending to be affectionate, but in reality, hoping to knock the glass over, so he could lick up the wine! One night, Mom gave him a tiny bit in a saucer, as Tiger had a cold. After bounding around a bit, he fell asleep on a chair in the kitchen. We heard a thump, and Tiger was most embarassed--he was drunk, and fell off his "barstool"!
He did it once more that night!

Sadly, he also left home one day, and was never found. I also remember that day clearly.

MargeCat

snickersmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom made a deal with my oldest brother that if he lost some weight, she would let him get a cat of his own and let me and my middle brother get a cat to share. I don't know where she got that idea from or why I got to benefit from the deal without doing a thing. Well, my brother lost the weight, so we went to this woman's apartment who had advertised in the newspaper that she had free kittens to give away. The mama cat and all the kittens were grey tabbies. My brother picked on and named him Star, but they all looked the same to me and I didn't know which one to pick. Then the woman told us there was one other kitten from the litter that was really shy. And there, hiding in the closet, was a tiny orange tabby with gigantic ears. We named him Tiggie, and he ended up being the sweetest lap cat. In his early years he had a bit of a spraying problem, even though he was neutered! And then in his later years he had a bit of a drooling problem. But he was so sweet and good-natured, you'd let yourself just be drooled on because you couldn't deny him the chance to sit in your lap. I got him when I was about 9 years old, so we basically grew up together. He passed away several years ago from cancer. But I like to believe he had a long good life in a loving home.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was born into a two kitty household...

Murphy was a girl... she had potty box issues and some other behavior issues so she went to live on a farm ...

Nikko was my Moms boy ... he was a seal pt siamese and lived to 19.5 ... he was a smart boy who avoided me
... see Nikko was nearing 12 when I was born

Midnight was not our cat but the feral black cat of many generations( TNR wasnt heard of) .... I used to play with her under the trees at the nursing home/ independant living place Grandma worked for 3 decades
... I saw at least five generations in my early yrs...

My truely first cat was Kandie ... a lovely girl with a catitude who today has been gone ONE MONTH... I was 11 when she came into my world ... she was supposed to be my girl but decided to be my "sis " instead ....

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
We had lots of cats we all loved while i was growing up, but Charlie was my first baby. I picked him and named him and call him mine, even if i have to share him. I was about 15 when we went to the RSPCA. There were only two kittens at that time, him, and a pure black female. And for some reason the huge scar and shaved patch on her belly worried me (i didnt know about desexing much then) and i decided to have Chuckie. He was 16 weeks old, and already had a previous owner. He has always been jumpy around sudden noises such as plastic bag, tin foil etc. We don't know what happened to him in his first home. As you know he's still with me, only 8 years old, we share the same birthday. I still think of him as my little baby, it's not like he's really old. I love him to bits~!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We never had cats growing up and I never would have considered having a cat. My grandmother had an old farm cat who lived for years, Frosty. He was really beat up tom. Funny thing was, I never thought she was that attached to him (she was a farm woman and didn't get attached to animals), but in her later years, she talked about how much she missed the old tom.

So after college, I moved with my boyfriend and we had a white and brown tabby adopt us. She just showed up, moved in the way cats do. We named her Skitters because she was rather skittish. She taught me a lot about cats - how loving they can be, how they can bring home the bunny, what worms look like. I ended up moving because of my job and left Skitters with the BF because I was in an apartment and she had been an outdoor cat. She disappeared soon after and I never knew what happened to her.

I adopted Petunia soon after my move and I have had cats ever since. All because of Skitters.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the first kitty i got was from a the local shelter.
i got her for a girlfriend, who was born oct 31, she always wanted a black cat
but of course the shelter here normaly wont let you have a black cat during that time of the year. But the on person said that since she wsa going to be PTS today anyway, just let me have her.

Well the kitty hated the gf, i mean hated, she would hiss at her anythme the gf would walk in the room. i ended up keeping the cat. lol i did not know anything about cats when i first got her. I am sure i made lots and lots of mistakes. but i have never had cat since, that seemd to have such a nack for causing trouble hhaha,its been years since she went to the bridge, and i still miss her.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a kitten and puppy in residence when I was born but I don't remember them. The first cat I can remember is Tom Tinker, a blue tabby kitten my grandmother found near her house and she brought him to me. He was barely weaned, but a few days after he arrived we came home from church and heard this awful ruckus in the living room. He had caught a mouse that was as big as he was! He soon graduated to catching other prey (outdoors) and rabbits were a favorite.

We owe our lives to him. Mom was asleep and he started pawing at her arm. When she opened her eyes she saw a layer of smoke just above her face. She roused Dad and they got sis and me out of the house. There was no fire, something had clogged the chimney of our coal furnace.

He lived for about 6 or 7 years.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Velvet was my first kitty- and now many years later she's still going strong and is just as spunky and loveable as ever!!!!
She was adopted from a shelter when she was a kitten and on the way home that day the song "Black Velvet" was playing on the radio- that was it- it was the perfect name for her
Velvet is a very special cat and is definitely bonded to me the most out of all of my animals. She knows when i'm sad, she knows when i'm happy,and she knows when i just need a kiss
She is and has always been my little baby.
I love her more than anyone could ever understand! She's such an amazing little girl!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

He was very happy there. I remember the last day I ever saw him as if it were yesterday. He was sitting on the front porch and thinking he wanted in I opened the front door but he just looked at me and walked off the porch and that was the last I saw of him.
Awwww that's so sad!!!

My first cat experience was a big orange boy named "Puss". Puss hated everyone and wouldn't come near us unless it was to scratch and hiss at us. He never came into the house, and I'm not sure if he was ever obtained as a pet, or he just hung around the house. He was pretty much feral I think... We ended up moving and left Puss behind. Puss was "happy" where he was!

But MY first cat was Misty. I saved up all of my birthday and christmas money to get her when I was about 14 I guess, she was a gorgeous lilac point Burmese - official name Tiffatara Lady Mist
She was such an amazing girl, I loved her to bits. She'd play and play and play, then you'd pick her up and she'd just purr in your arms. She always slept with me, but everyone adored her. She was in inside/outside cat (oh how I regret that now
) and went missing one day. I remember she hadn't come in in the evening which she ALWAYS did, and it was raining, so I figured she was just hiding somewhere dry. I was going to a party (and when you're 14, parties are VERY important...), and was worrying about her the whole time.

She never came back and we doorknocked all up and down the street. finally a week later a man came knocking on our door who lived down the street - he found her under his house. She must have been hit by a car
We were so devastated. She wasn't even a year old. I think it's the only time I ever saw my brother cry. Our other kitties only passed away this year from old age, so if I had have taken better care of her, she could still be alive today

This is my beautiful Misty.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with dogs, and had no interest in getting a cat. Then, about 7 years ago, I was working in a dive shop and my boss came in a set a box on my desk, and out popped the cutest little black and white kitten! And I fell in love!
My boss and his wife already had 9 cats, and no one else there could take him so I convinced my boyfriend at the time to let me bring him home (he wasn't a big cat fan, but grew to love him) I named him Jasper.

They found him down on the boat dock being chased by rats that were bigger than he was! Turns out, the boat captain recognized him as one of his mom's cat's new litter. He stopped by her house that morning, and Jasper must has climbed into his engine and gotten a lift to the dock (his mother lived at least 20 miles away!) It is amazing he survived.

Jasper was such a sweetie and so laid back. I had a pet bunny at the time that lived in the bottom of our closet (it was a big closet, and we had it fixed up with a big box and bedding, newspapers litter box...it wasn't as bad as it sounds). We kept a screen over the door at night and when we were gone but I when I caught Jasper trying to climb the sceen I got a huge piece of plexiglass to put up instead. I was afraid Jasper would try to hurt her. Well, I came home from work one day and found Jasper in the closet with Bunny...and they were all snuggled up grooming each other! From that day on they were best friends. I still am not sure how he got in because the plexiglass was as tall as I was, and he was still tiny.

Unfortunately, I had to leave Guam a few years later. I had a home lined up for Jasper because I just couldn't afford to bring him back to the states, but he got hit by a car the day before he was supposed to go to his new home. I cried for hours. I still miss him. He was very special.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot remember my first cat, I was so young. We always had cats and dogs no matter where we lived. They weren't always well care for but they were loved. My mom and her people didn't know any better.

I have some special memories though: there was WonTon a siamese who used the human's toilet. We kids thought he was amazing.
B.C. (Bonnie's Cat) was stolen from my mother's neighbors because they were abusive. Sarah, the Huntress tortie who used to bring me her idea of breakfast every morning.

Too many others to list, plus I cannot remember their names!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had a cat when I was born that was named Spanky. He was a orange tabby and I have a couple of pics of him and me when I was a baby. Of course I don't remember him though.

My first cat that I can remember....
It was the first day of kindergarten and I found her as a stray on the steps of the school. I begged my mom to take her home. It seems like they always knew how to find me.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spike was my first cat. My parents got him from my sister because she couldn't take care of him. He was the toughest tomcat on the street and had quite a reputation. But when I was a baby, and when I was sleeping he liked to sit beside my crib and watch over me, and he was probably wondering what this little creature was, and if he should eat it or watch over it. When I got older he still sat by my bed, always vigilant, always purring. Whenever I would get upset he would go and get one of my parents and they would come to put me back to sleep.

Spike was never really a playful guy. He was very layed back, very observant. He did play occasionally from what I remember, and he always liked his people.

He died when I was eight and he was 16, he had cancer. I remember it well, the day he died. My mom had come up from the basement crying, and there he was, Spike, laying on his chair having passed sometime in the night. By the end he was so thin he didn't resemble the beautiful, boistrous old cat I loved. He is buried in the back yard, under the lilac. It was the first time I ever saw my parents cry.

Sometimes I think he is still sitting by my bed, purring contentedly. And waiting.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fred was my first cat. There was a litle mama cat that came by long enough to have a litter twice, kowing she would have a safe place to have her babies and get food during her late pregnancy, then she would take her kittens and leave when they were about 6 weeks old. We managed to find homes for about half of them, but she took the rest away. She was never really "my cat."
We rescued Fred from a tree in the median in front of our house. He was so tiny I don't even know how he managed to get up so high. We pulled the truck by the tree and my SO coaxed him down with some turkey. He spent the night and cried to be let out the next morning. I let him out, thinking he had a home to go to, and he came back several hours later with his brother. Brother kitty always came and went as he pleased, but Fred always stayed close. He was my little buddy, and fortunately lived a long life, despite taking up with someone that didn't know squat about cats. He raised every kitten that we ever had, and I never had to worry about introductions. After the new one was deemed healthy by the vet, all I had to do was leave it where Fred could find it, and he would bring it to me and meow as if he was bringing me a present. He loved his kitty family. He was never mean to a newcomer, and never allowed any of the others to be. If any of the others mistreated each other, the offending kitty would get a bop on the head and a stern lecture. He always looked like a beat up alley cat, and was tough as nails in defending his territory and his family. He would fight anything and was seldom challenged after a few hisses, whatever he was defending his turf against usually had the good sense to turn and run. He had a few bumps and bruises over the years, but nothing serious. He was a fairly small cat, never got bigger than 8 pounds. Most of the others grew to be much larger, but no one ever disputed his alpha status.
I didn't know at the time that cats were healthiest if kept indoors, so I often left my door open and let him come and go as he pleased.
He went to the Bridge almost 2 years ago, and I still miss him every day. There will never be another one like my dear little Fredlump.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had cats when I was growing up, but it wasn't until I moved into my first apartment at age 18 and adopted Hippocrates (Hipster for short) that I came into the love of my life. Hipster was grey with white paws/bib and the sweetest cat you could ever imagine. As much as I preach that all cats are unique, I still compare all of my cats to Hipster. He lived to be 12 and I lost him to cancer. Even my vet cried and sent me flowers when I lost him.

After I lost Hipster, I very quickly became "Mom of Many". Looking back (this was 17 years ago), I realize that I was trying to replace him and 1 cat couldn't fill the void.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had a stray called Bagpuss when I was very young. The thing was, he probably was one of the most attractive cats I've ever come across because it was such a natural, wild beauty. We never really managed to tame him but it didn't mean we didn't love him.

I suppose my parents were fairly ignorant about neutering etc as neither of them had owned animals before. This was in the early 80's in Ireland when money was very tight as we were going through a recession. Basically Bagpuss started to come back looking dishevelled as if he had been fighting. Eventually he disappeared completely. We moved house a few months after he went missing so all hope of seeing him again was gone.

I still have very fond memories even though we've had several cats since!!