Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food

dshank1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

HI!  Thanks for the suggestions. I have not visited those places. Artie has seemed to settle for Pride rabbit. I know it has pork in it, but he refuses other novel proteins. I ams trying away from poultry because we have a very strong idea that he is allergic to chicken. Each time I gave him chicken, he vomited immediately. 

He does not care for lamb (several brands) , buffalo (a couple of brands), venison (a couple of bands), plain rabbit (except for the Pride mix). He will eat the NV Pork, but it is impossible to find around my area. I called many stores. He will not eat any other brand of pork...I am really stuck with the Pride rabbit.

At least he eats that. 

When he gets fussy with his food, I open up a can of Solid Gold fish, and give him 1/2 a can of that. It seems to do the trick. 

Artie is even fussy with the NV limited ingredient Rabbit dry food. I give that to him occasionally as a treat. 

As long as I have something for now, I will stick with it. Both myself and the Vet are not all that happy with it being a mixture, but he is eating it. That I am happy with. He is so fussy with food. Years ago I even tried Kiwi..The stuff from Australia...he turned his nose up at it. 

I order his food by the cases, from Chewy. It is easier for me, and I get a slight discount because it is an automatic delivery. I order just enough for the month..with a bit to spare. I am not going overboard any more...I had too much food which he was no longer able to eat. I stocked up on sales at various stores. I had to donate it to the shelter. 

I still have a few I saved, but I am planning on donating those also....

The only time I go to the petstore now is to look at the kitties and to buy litter. I may even order that thru Chewy.
Natures Variety Rabbit has worked out really well for my two cats, took me a while to find the right food. My 17 yr old Persian prefers chicken but here lately she eats the rabbit. I have also found IANDLOVEANDYOU food, both my cats love the poultry and it's made with limited ingredients and in Colorado. I'm with you on ordering from chewy.com, it saves me a lot of money and time. Only time I visit Petco is for litter & toys. 

Last edited:

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding the Gator and Buffalo Wild Callings to Ghibli for almost a month now and he loves both! He likes the Gator more than the buffalo though.

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've been feeding the Gator and Buffalo Wild Callings to Ghibli for almost a month now and he loves both! He likes the Gator more than the buffalo though.
Where have you been getting the gator? I was hoping to try just one can rather than a full case (my cats have sensitive tummies), but I can't find it anywhere near me or online.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Where have you been getting the gator? I was hoping to try just one can rather than a full case (my cats have sensitive tummies), but I can't find it anywhere near me or online.
I get it at an independent pet store called " Pet Express" in Bend Oregon.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I first adopted Ruby, I continued feeding her the same food she'd been getting at the shelter - IAMs canned, plus some dry.  But right from the first day she had diarrhea.  Plus she would vomit a clear liquid several times a week.

After a couple months, I took her to the vet who suggested Royal Canin hypo-allergenic duck based canned food, and it solved all her digestive issues.  It is a veterinary product, so is pricey, but it is worth it. 

Here's the link:  http://www.royalcanin.ca/products/catalog/HYPOALLERGENICSELECTEDPROTEINCANNED/226021

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sinbad and Tempest go nuts for Mauri brand's kangaroo. I don't entirely like what's added to it though, so we keep it as an occasional treat meal.

I just found a source of whole ground muskrat, I'm going to try that in a few weeks. They have a 2 week delivery schedule so I'll have to wait till the next shipment cycle.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no problem rotating proteins for variety. I think my cats actually do get bored eat chicken or turkey over and over, especially since my girl loves salmon probably more than anything. The proteins they might actually catch in nature might probably better though. A cat would more likely catch a chicken, turkey, duck, other small birds, fish, rabbit, squirrel or mouse in nature than it would a lamb, deer, cow, alligator etc. But I'm not going to purposely feed them rodents!

They've tried some different lamb, venison, and duck varieties by Max Cat. But they were mostly morsels and two of them will only eat pate style wet food. Lots of people rave about Pride's rockstar rabbit. My cats didn't care for it because it's very large chunks of meat. The 3rd cat ate it only after I cut up the chunks into smaller bits. They also haven't been too thrilled about duck, which surprised me because they like chicken and turkey.

I found Halo's Impulse line has some pate styles in novel proteins that all 3 like. I've ordered a case each of rabbit, quail, guinea hen, and chicken with egg from that line from www.chewy.com. It's affordable and to me, the ingredients are pretty good.

jgentiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used natural balance Vension for years but recently found a brand called Mauri... I am really impressed with the novel protein selections and healthy ingredients. It also has help my senior cat with constipation problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I added a case of Wild Calling Buffalo canned food to my Chewy.com order. The price is pretty good for an unusual protein and the food is high in calories (220/5.5 oz) so it's a good buy.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I added a case of Wild Calling Buffalo canned food to my Chewy.com order. The price is pretty good for an unusual protein and the food is high in calories (220/5.5 oz) so it's a good buy.
Good buy! Such a good quality food and awesome protein source. My cat loves the buffalo!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have no problem rotating proteins for variety. I think my cats actually do get bored eat chicken or turkey over and over, especially since my girl loves salmon probably more than anything. The proteins they might actually catch in nature might probably better though. A cat would more likely catch a chicken, turkey, duck, other small birds, fish, rabbit, squirrel or mouse in nature than it would a lamb, deer, cow, alligator etc. But I'm not going to purposely feed them rodents!

They've tried some different lamb, venison, and duck varieties by Max Cat. But they were mostly morsels and two of them will only eat pate style wet food. Lots of people rave about Pride's rockstar rabbit. My cats didn't care for it because it's very large chunks of meat. The 3rd cat ate it only after I cut up the chunks into smaller bits. They also haven't been too thrilled about duck, which surprised me because they like chicken and turkey.

I found Halo's Impulse line has some pate styles in novel proteins that all 3 like. I've ordered a case each of rabbit, quail, guinea hen, and chicken with egg from that line from www.chewy.com. It's affordable and to me, the ingredients are pretty good.
Strangely, most of my cats really love venison and beef, which yeah, aren't really prey they would catch in real life. I think what cats like really can vary depending on the brand/source.  I've only feed beef and venison from Rad Cat, Hare Today (raw), or Ziwipeak with success anything else I've tried they turn their nose up to. They hate rockstar rabbit but they like ziwipeak rabbit and lamb and raw rabbit. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's really not that many proteins in commercial cat food that cats would catch in real life, anyway. A wild turkey would be too large for a cat to successfully catch, for example, and I've never heard of a cat chasing down a chicken and eating it. The only cat foods that I can think of that have realistic proteins are rabbit and quail.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Strangely, most of my cats really love venison and beef, which yeah, aren't really prey they would catch in real life. I think what cats like really can vary depending on the brand/source.  I've only feed beef and venison from Rad Cat, Hare Today (raw), or Ziwipeak with success anything else I've tried they turn their nose up to. They hate rockstar rabbit but they like ziwipeak rabbit and lamb and raw rabbit. 
I think with my 2 oldest cats, I think it's mostly the form the protein was in. Any lamb or venison I've picked up here and there have been meaty bits or shreds and they only like their wet food in pate form. Friskies and Wellness have a beef or beef combo pate that they will eat on occasion. They haven't liked duck in pate or meaty bits form. I haven't looked into Rad Cat. I looked at Ziwipeaks website once and realized they probably wouldn't like any of them because if I recall correctly it looked like mostly chunks. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I think with my 2 oldest cats, I think it's mostly the form the protein was in. Any lamb or venison I've picked up here and there have been meaty bits or shreds and they only like their wet food in pate form. Friskies and Wellness have a beef or beef combo pate that they will eat on occasion. They haven't liked duck in pate or meaty bits form. I haven't looked into Rad Cat. I looked at Ziwipeaks website once and realized they probably wouldn't like any of them because if I recall correctly it looked like mostly chunks. 
I believe it is more about the brand, flavor, and texture. My cats seem to like most flavors in CERTAIN brands and none in others!

lindadmu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband it s deer hunter and when we have deer meat our cats love it . so would like to find a deer can cat food when we are out of deer.. we make up bags of deer meat and freeze them so we can give it to all of them often.. its very good for them no fat.. thanks for sharing the links ..