Your cat and other people

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does your cat act differently towards you or someone else? I noticed when I have other people around I'm the only person she'll go to and sit on. She doesnt act afraid of them and let's them pet her but I've wondered if cats get jealous when you give someone else attention

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link and Nightfury generally run from other people and hide in other rooms. If a visitor sits down for an extended time they will investigate eventually.

Rocket will simply stare at the intruder unblinking from a distance. If they sit down she will eventually get closer and see if they will pet her, as long as they don't actually look at or talk to her.

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll be interested to find out, since we bought my kitten home during lockdown, so no one else has come to the house! It's safe to say I am definitely the "chosen" one, and she will follow me everywhere (sometimes on my shoulders), but she has plenty of snuggles with my other half too. My stepkids might play with her for about 5 mins but their iPhones are more interesting than a kitten... :lol: 🤦‍♀️ I'm curious about what she might be like around others.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats loved to jump on the sofa or chair and sniff the back of the heads of visitors. Unfortunately if she didn’t like their smell she would give them a swift claws out whack to the back of their head. So unfortunately she had to be banished to a bedroom when people came over.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista likes other people more than I do. If someone knocks on the door, my inclination is to ignore it while she runs to answer it. "You gonna get that?", I always ask her.

Whenever friends and family or workman show up, she wants her share of loving from any of them. She's much more dog than cat in that respect. Even my dad, who is allergic to cats, couldn't resist how endearing she is.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
your cat looks exactly like my two sisters ... out of my three cats ... my boy will walk up to anyone and say hello - he is also the most unpredictable and aloof with us - go figure ... one of my girls will watch from a distance at first, when she sees us crouching down, walk up and sniff the stranger and after a while let them pet her - she is our most even tempered and " normal" cat - middle of the road kind of character ... our Snowball who is in my face - almost aggressively snuggly with me and the kids ... will hide from strangers and rarely comes out - she took a few visits to warm up to the pet sitter and the new kitten as well ... the kitten ... well ... he's a kitten and doesn't care who comes in but will now purr only with us ...

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time patches runs for cover especially when the grandkids come round, But sometimes decides to surprise me by being nice and going for a cuddle. There's not alot of people he shows affection to.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton is friendly to everyone, he's our official greeter. :cool2: Come to think of it we've never had a cat that hides when people come over. Of course they know DH and I are their family.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Puar has only met one of my friends and the vet since I got him (at the start of the pandemic here, the end of January). He does however, get to observe the myriad food delivery guys who all appear covered head-to-toe, some with helmets still on, carrying pads that are constantly beeping. If I didn't know what they were, I'd swear they were alien robots. Mostly he is intrigued by them and sits behind me as I pay for food. One time I opened the door and the delivery driver was like 6'5" and heavyset, covered in tattoos, and was still wearing his helmet with the visor down...Puar did not sit behind me that time, he watched from the safety of the stairs. hahaha I keep hoping to open the door to that guy again. I don't think he would have even fit through the door, to be honest.