Youngest fosters I've had

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's still with us. Diarrhea is worse than ever, comes out right after a feeding. The pedialyte can't cause more diarrhea, can it? Will maybe alternate pet ag formula with pedialyte mixed in with the water for formula. He's still fighting being fed. Once today he got too hot and was panting! We had gone to visit my mother in law and of course taken him along. For some reason the heating pad got too hot their, even on the lowest setting. I feel terrible!! When he was over heated he did actually drink some without panting. But I'm sure being over heated caused him too feel even worse. We are back home now. Still feeding 3 mls every two hours.

Catwoman, he's asleep in his bed right now, I'm fairly certain he does not have pneumonia, as it has been quiet enough for me to hear his tiny purr but haven't heard anything else. Opinions on taking him to the vet tomorrow and getting some albon? Maybe that will help his diarrhea. This is about the only thing our rescue vet will prescribe for a baby so young

Thank you all for your support, it means alot to me.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's still with us. Diarrhea is worse than ever, comes out right after a feeding. The pedialyte can't cause more diarrhea, can it? Will maybe alternate pet ag formula with pedialyte mixed in with the water for formula. He's still fighting being fed. Once today he got too hot and was panting! We had gone to visit my mother in law and of course taken him along. For some reason the heating pad got too hot their, even on the lowest setting. I feel terrible!! When he was over heated he did actually drink some without panting. But I'm sure being over heated caused him too feel even worse. We are back home now. Still feeding 3 mls every two hours.

Catwoman, he's asleep in his bed right now, I'm fairly certain he does not have pneumonia, as it has been quiet enough for me to hear his tiny purr but haven't heard anything else. Opinions on taking him to the vet tomorrow and getting some albon? Maybe that will help his diarrhea. This is about the only thing our rescue vet will prescribe for a baby so young

Thank you all for your support, it means alot to me.
Nay, pedialyte shouldn harm, quite opposite, its the main preparate against the great manslaughter, the kolera, that evil diarrhea disease.  It alone, together with some basic  nursing, takes the death rates from at least 80% down to perhaps 10%.

@catwoman707    there was a question for you.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ask about pneumonia because if we can rule it out, it gives a bit more hope, which would literally make it hopeless.

Anytime he is on the heating pad, for reasons such as this, there should always be a space he can crawl to if he gets overheated. Just place the pad maybe halfway covering the bottom of his box.

What we are watching for is for him to start wanting to be fed, although the syringe isn't too pleasing to them, and while some will start trying to suck on it, many do not, it's like fighting the way it feels in their mouths.

The fact that he is swallowing the milk is a plus though.

When babies are on their way out, they will not swallow, impossible to feed pretty much.

I think the worsened diarrhea IS due to the formula switch. I would hold off on the albon if it were me. I know albon is extremely gentle but I would not add anything to his system right now, let's see if he can stabilize first.

As long as he stays on the feedings he has now, 3 mls every two hours he wont get dehydrated.

I sure do wish you had access to a grams/ounce scale! That would really be helpful.

Just continue on, to be extremely candid/blunt about this, continuing to feed him as he is will do one of 2 things.

Either it is prolonging him dying, or will force him through this and he will turn around.

So basically wait and watch is all that's left.

I talk to them too, tell him how darling and strong he is, brave little bug, and he NEEDS to get through this, what a big boy he will be, all that.

Not sure whether the Universe plays any part or not, but figure it doesn't hurt, and I DO believe he feels love and comforted by this too.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I remember Catwoman wrote some good advices on alternatives to albon,

I think I found a good post,  here it comes with one addes asterix*   my settin the bold.

"

White poop/diarrhea is bad, it is considered grossly abnormal and most of the time means a severe bacterial imbalance/infection/infection in bowels.

It can also mean an allergic reaction to lactose, which I had happen with 2 kittens through the years, so not common though.

A kitten with this severe of an infection can't survive, they are just not strong like that.

You mention the third kitten has mustard colored poop with blood. The blood is indicative of an irritant such as coccidia.

It can also be something else too, such as panleukopenia as red top mentions above.

However, you don't mention vomiting?

Usually in panleuk the diarrhea and vomiting will occur simultaneously, at the end stage of this deadly virus.

6.5 oz is TINY, for a 3.5 week old baby. It should weight that at 1 week or under. Nearing 1 pound now, or at about 4 weeks.

Baby should be double it's weight that it is unfortunately.

As for albon, I bet if your vet did not give you ponazuril he doesn't dispense it.

Too bad, because ponazuril knocks the heck out of coccidia fast, once a day for 3 days or so.

Ponazuril actually kills the coccidia but albon only inhibits it until the kitten is able to rid himself if the coccidia.

It can take a while to see any difference actually. Which is not good for a young kitten like this. 

If this kitten were in my care, I would be sure to get him on clavamox, fortiflora* and ponazuril.

But that is what I can/would do, I realize you have to take what the vet offers.

You can always request too, it can't hurt.

The clavamox is as a precaution since the other 2 died from a severe infection of some type.

Do you think kitten is fed enough? You don't want to overfeed, but need to get some weight going there, and soon too!

Do you know or are you able to attach pics?"

My end comments:

*Fortiflora is a common probioticum.

Antoher very good probioticum is BeneBac, made by Pet Ag.

A third, recommended by the fine expert LDG, is  S(saccaromyces) Boulardii - LDG mentions it specifically as a natural stopper of small coccidia infections.

We arent vet, but when you are at the vet, you may discuss these preparates with him.

Good luck!

Last edited:

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That was a horrible misjudgment on my part, I know better than not having space for him to crawl off the heating pad! He was sucking the syringe before he spiraled down hill. He is definitely still swallowing. He is a fighter still! Especially when I feed and wipe him. Will keep on forcing 3 mls every two hours. And have been talking to him. Asking for prayers and good thoughts from all my friends also. We are in for the long haul.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. This forum had been so great!

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sawyer finally gave up. When I fed him he just let it run out of his mouth. I held him for a long time. I put him in his bed to shower and fell asleep after. I woke up to my husband checking on him around 2:30 am. He was gone, he hadn't moved from where I laid him down. It was very peaceful, he died sleeping. Thank you all for your help and thoughts, and prayers. You have all been so helpful in this really hard time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you and bless this baby. I am praying he makes it.
This prayers  seemed to not help much here.  But they werent in wain, Sawyers soul knows he got them, Gapeach too, of course.   Also, they may get forward to someone else little soul in need instead.   Did I read somewhere, so its not my own invention.
Sawyer finally gave up. When I fed him he just let it run out of his mouth. I held him for a long time. I put him in his bed to shower and fell asleep after. I woke up to my husband checking on him around 2:30 am. He was gone, he hadn't moved from where I laid him down. It was very peaceful, he died sleeping. Thank you all for your help and thoughts, and prayers. You have all been so helpful in this really hard time.
Im sorry, Im deeply and truly sorry.  I did wept a good while.

Sorrowfully, that is a part of being a dedicated rescuer.  Some patients makes that, often against all odds, some do not.  Sometimes they collapse even when you though the fight was won.

If you are rescuing the weak ones, quite a many wont make it.

Its the price of fighting against difficulties.  The price of being a Hero.  Of being a Righteous.

These whom wants to go the easy ways, they dont take on themselves the heavy burdens, the great difficulties, the diffult "cases".  No big honor in that, but the life becomes easier, and you can sleep undisturbed on the nights.   These do good praiseworthy deeds them too.  All people of good will are needed.  Everyone for hers or his task.

RIP,  little Sawyer.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
God bless Sawyer. You two fought the hard battle together. He knew he was loved. I am so sad over this, and am keeping you in my prayers today. You did all that you could.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@gapeach  I have been quietly following your loving efforts to give Sawyer a chance in life and am truly saddened that all your fighting for him was not able to give him enough strength to carry on.  He has surely experienced love and care though and that is precious.  All on the team share your loss.  As a mark of respect to you and Sawyer we will now lock this thread.  Please know you are welcome to start a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge Forum to share more of Sawyer's life if you wish to do this.

This thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.