Younger cat excessively licking older one

Pavlos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, we've had a female Turkish Angora white cat with odd eyes (one green, one blue) for 16 years now. A few months ago my daughter brought home a stray female kitten, probably a mix-breed Bengal. Although the young one was really scared and intimidated in the beginning, now she has a totally unexplained behavior. She will sit next to the older cat and start licking her fur at about shoulder height. This has gradually increased in duration and in frequency so much that the older cat's fur is constantly wet and uncombed. I will try to upload a video to show you what I mean. Does this have any adverse consequence on our beloved Angora cat? We didn't notice her being angry about the young cat's strange behavior but we would appreciate any comments and help. Thank you!

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like typical dominance behavior to me — new addition is establishing that she’s the one in charge between the two of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pavlos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Maurey! Do you think this is negative for the older cat? Bearing in mind that she is 16 years old. I mean, is it better to separate them?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If she minded, she wouldn’t just be laying there. As long as she’s not the one taking on all the energy from a kitten, and you’re the one playing with and entertaining her, she doesn’t care that the kitten wants to be in charge.

Pavlos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. We really love both cats and wouldn't like to give anyone away...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say it sounds like dominance grooming ..... though a bit excessive. If it becomes a problem for your older cat or she starts doing it more than she is; action may need to be taken.

In the meantime why not try giving your senior a break from her for a few hours up to half the day, every day. That way your senior gets a break from the annoying youngster & gets some me time. I would also try giving each cat some 1 on 1 play time (or play therapy) during their separate time.

My guy was a bit of a bully but he didn’t do the dominance grooming that much! He did however bite my other cat between his shoulder blades whenever he got stuck inside/got bored. 🤦🏻‍♀️ If I had known about kitty prozac when he was young; he would have have been on it! Giving my victim cat 1on 1 play therapy and safe places from his bully helped him.

Pavlos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, that sounds like an excellent idea. I can take the older cat with me at the office and spend some time alone with her. She's got her own little corner there anyway. Thank you so much Danteshuman

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the younger kitten is getting security from 'nursing' on her shoulder. If the area gets bald from the attention, then it's time to stop it. The older cat would not allow it if it hurt in any way, so really I think it is harmless, but allowing the older cat some away time would be good too. You might get a couple of stuffed animals and a small fleece blanket to see if the little one would transfer her attentions to those.

Pavlos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To be honest, when we watch them, it's exactly as if the kitten is milking her mom. With movements and a rhythm that are identical to a normal mother feeding her kitten. Bearing in mind that the older cat has never had any kittens and that the young one was found nearly dead under a McDonald's dustbin, probably 2-3 weeks old, we also thought that this was a case of "false motherhood". In any case, I think the situation is still borderline acceptable by the older cat and in no case her fur has turned bald. So we'll try to give her some more space and time on her own to compensate for this.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if it was nursing but I have never heard of kittens doing it on top of the cats back like that. You can try giving the kitten a fake suede blanket ...... my binkie/blanket nurser really loves them (faux suede on one side and textured fleece on the other.) Or give your cat a woolen knitted blanket with lots of texture. I crocheted a blanket with the thickest size yarn (not wool) and my mom’s cat claimed it has her nursing blanket! She loved that blanket! So I would just try a few different blankets but if she is nursing on your senior cat I doubt any blanket will compare with that mama kitty feel if a living breathing purring mama cat substitute.

Does your younger cat puuur and make biscuits/knead on your senior cat when she is slobbering on her? If so then she is nursing.

Here is my cat and his binkie. Here is a picture of my cat & his sister as a kitten & their favorite binkie. You can see they are kneading the blanket. Plus my cats ears move a bit as he nurses and you can hear him.

Attachments

Pavlos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes that's exactly what we notice. A slow, back & forth movement of the front legs, as if the young one was giving massage to the other cat. And a humming noise. With time, the "massage" subsided and the actual licking increased. So maybe after establishing herself in the household, the kitten started imposing some dominance on the adult as well. But in any case the adult cat almost never seems upset or annoyed by this new experience. We really appreciate the suggestions for the blankets though, we'll give it a try.

topocato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try a grooming routine for both cats. Most people don't know, and the vet almost never mentions it because all cats have loose hair, is that cats get hair in their ears when then nap. This is simply due to shedding and then rubbing it in the ear during the next nap. But it bothers the cat as much as it would us. Symptoms include excessive grooming of a cat to itself or another cat, because the cats can't clean it themselves. Other symptoms are lowered ear, narrowed eye, moping, excess activity, and excess sleeping. A sudden licking on the back or paws, or anywhere else they can reach. Our grooming routine is nightly, and it includes a little tune with the cat's name in it. When you start this routine it will all be unfamiliar, so go slow. Your main issue may be the ears. 1. Using a soft brush, like a boar hair, brush the face, ears (hold them back a bit to brush hair outwards, and neck. 2. Dampen a paper towel, and wipe the ears out. 3. If more ears are indicated, dampen your baby finger (nail filed short), and pull the hair out, balancing of course with your thumb under the ear. You will soon learn the folds, and where the hair accumulates, and to gently lift up with your thumb to get the little finger to the hair. 4. Now you're going to learn what click training is, if you don't already know. We're going to brush the teeth, or at least rub on the toothpaste. Method: With each step achieved, click your tongue quietly and let the cat click the toothpaste as a treat. Buy some enzymatic toothpaste for pets, it tastes good. Our cat likes the chicken flavor (which is sold on amazon as a dog flavor oddly enough, but it's ok for cats too.) Make up a little song with the cat's name in it. Offer the toothpaste on one finger (moving your finger from out to where they can see it to close enough where they can smell, then lick it. Rub a bit on the teeth. Click and give a bit more as a treat, (work your way up to a cat toothbrush if you can). 5. Use a damp rag to wipe the whiskers (in case toothpaste got on them, it's sticky) and chin (food accumulates under there). Occasionally wipe as much of the cat as allowed, it feels pretty good. Also the paw pads, especially if the cat goes outside. 6. Use a flea comb (even if you never see a flea, and get the cheap plastic ones from amazon, they work better), by holding it almost flat to comb the face (including under the whiskers), chin, neck, flat inside edge of the ear, behind the ear. Reason: These areas accumulate short hairs that don't shed by themselves, and don't usually come off with a brush. You'll see what I mean, the short hairs will come off, and the cat will push against the comb. Go slow with the entire routine. Make it pleasant and soothing. When teaching a step, go a baby step at a time, click your tongue, and give a treat (ours like the toothpaste a lot so that becomes the treat).

Pavlos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your guidance Topocato. This is something I've never heard before but it makes sense. We'll give it a try and hopefully see some positive results.