Youngagain's Carnivoreraw

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use this product? It's like EZ Compete or Alnutrin but is significantly cheaper (makes 3 times the amount of food as EZ, but for the same price). It comes "with calcium" and "without calcium." The cost difference makes me a little suspicious.

I've been toying with the idea of putting the cats back on at least a half raw diet, probably chicken and pork.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just ordered a couple of the small packets to try. It's not cheaper than Alnutrin. The Alnutrin with calcium is $20 for the packet that makes 40 lbs. of food. The Young Again with calcium is twice the price at $39 for enough to make 37 lbs. The version without calcium is $32. The Young Again contains liver which offsets some of the cost but it still ends up more expensive than Alnutrin.

My cat is sensitive to chicken and the CarnivoreRAW uses chicken liver and chicken heart which may be an issue. That's really why I went with Alnutrin in the first place. But obviously, I try it and see how it goes.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Alnutrin is very reasonably priced. (You do have to add liver but chicken liver is cheap! I think I paid $1.70 for a pound today...) Our cats like EZ but love Alnutrin, making it a particularly good value. I use Alnutrin with calcium for cooked meat.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No apologies necessary. Just setting the record straight since I had just bought some of the carnivoreRaw and knew the pricing differences compared to the Alnutrin that I've been using.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok. I just made a couple pounds of Turkey thigh with the CarnivoreRAW. I only fed him a couple dozen calories worth this afternoon and he seemed to like it fine. But, that doesn't count because he's tricked me with the good first impression stunt before. Making sure he stomachs it ok. I'll update in a few days on how he does and how/if he likes it.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He threw up this morning at 3 am. Just a little clear fluid with a tiny bit of fur. Look like he feels completely fine afterward and wants to eat. This is what he normally did when he was eating chicken. Small, morning puke.

I'll give it a couple days and then try a little of the CarnivoreRAW food again before I come to a conclusion. But, this is what I am afraid of with chicken and the CarnivoreRAW has both chicken liver and hearts. Of course it could have been something else in the mix, or could be unrelated altogether, but I don't have a good feeling about it working out for him. That doesn't mean it wont work for anyone else. I'd say, just be cautious and don't feed too much at first if you have a cat that doesn't seem to tolerate chicken. I only fed him about 20 calories worth yesterday as a trial.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Small update. I tried the CarnivoreRAW again over the weekend. Only about 20 calories per day for 3 days. No more throwing up but he did have some stinkier, sticky stools. He seems to be ok with the flavor but I just don't think this is going to work out for his tummy. Could be the chicken ingredients or the yeast or one or more of several other ingredients that aren't in the Alnutrin, which he does well with.

This seems like a good supplement and since it's available in small packets with inexpensive shipping, I think it's worth a try for those who make home-made and prefer a pre-mix supplement. All our cats are different and mine has a sensitive tummy with his IBD. So, just because it doesn't look like it's going to work for my kitty, I still think it's well worth a try for others.