Young Pregnant stray

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All you can do is continue to put it back. Are they all in a nice nest that is a box? Have you changed the linens? Maybe fresh linens will help everyone to smell the same. Mom should begin to settle in and calm down soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I moved her box to where she kept taking that one kitten and she hasnt tried to move any of them again since. Theyre all gaining weight without me intervening. Not huge gains but def not losing weight. I may have to step in with one as he only gained 3g in the 1st 24hrs after leaving mum alone to settle after moving box and the rest were between 5g and 7g. They just seem soooo small compared to other peoples newborn kittens i see. Is it because she had 7 compared to a litter of 3 or 4? Will a smaller litter generally have bigger kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they are smaller because she had seven. Keep a close eye as you have been doing, and consider rotating the 4 biggest and the 3 smallest in shifts every couple of hours during the day. They can all stay together with mom at night.

If a kitten does not gain anything for a day or loses, step in and supplement a few times a day.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theyre all over 100g now. The heaviest being 120g he (i say he, im not sure though) was born at 98g if i remember correctly. The one who only gained 3g yesterday gained 8g overnight. I dont get to weigh exactly the same time each day but i make sure its done every day at some point. Heres some more pics. This is the heavy "boy". Is that brown or ginger on side of his face?

Attachments

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are these just your typical brown tabbies? Front and side view of them both. 1st 2 are one kitten and 3rd and 4th the 2nd kitten

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, boy in post #44 has, what we and no one else calls the kiss of the ginger on both sides in front of his ears. adorable!! all of them.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some pics now theyre a week old and starting to open their eyes. All doing well and are about the same weights about 150g-160g with a slightly smaller one about 130g. All extremely active and strong.

Attachments

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Think mum cat has mastitis in one teat. It feels hard and lumpy in the surrounding area and she keeps licking it. Also 1 kitten seems to be fading away. Losing weight, not interested in hand feeding and tiny compared to the rest. Im trying to get a couple of ml in him/her every 45mins but its next to impossible. It just isnt willing to feed

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten people should be here soon to help. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ

Mom needs to go to the vet as soon as possible. Mastitis is painful and may cause her to stop feeding the kittens. When you take her, take the kittens too. Separating them will be too stressful for her and them and you. prayers and energy.

If you said you can't get to a vet, I missed it and I'm sorry.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an appt at the vets tonight. The kitten is feeding a bit better but i have no idea how much it should be having in ml each feed. I can get about 2.5 to 3ml an hour in him (im going to call it a him)

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the little kitten just passed. I took it to vet as its breathing went funny and they said it wasnt quite gone but very close to so the kindest thing would be to put to sleep. I did try my hardest but she (they told me she was a girl) jist wasnt strong enough. I just hope she wasnt in pain this morning while still at home with me😭😭

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She died surrounded by love safe in the knowing in her heart that you were doing all that could be done for her. Her mother knew that you were doing all you could for her and her family. To help kitten through to her crossing is the most that anyone can do. Hearts bound forever, your love for this kitten and hers for you will never end, the thread from here to the other side will always connect and guide you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry you lost a kitten. Is mom on antibiotics now for mastitis?

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She actually has a small hole/abcess just above that nipple too. God i feel terrible i didnt spot it sooner. I only looked closer when i saw her licking at it. The vet shaved that area off, cleaned it out and said its still small enough to heal on its own as long as she doesnt lick anymore. She has a soft cone on which so far shes tolerating. She had an injection of antibiotics and i have liquid antibiotics to start from today.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So kittens are 4 weeks old now and mother cat always used litter tray religiously. Now shes started peeing in the box they all lay in and in the pen we move them to in the day. Why??? She has a choice of multiple litter trays around the house which she poops in but shes just peeing all over their bedding and i cant keep up with washing and drying it all on time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would consider the possibility of a UTI. Avoiding the litter box to pee in while continuing to poop in it is a classic sign. It hurts to pee and she correlates that with the litter box rather than her body.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anything i can give her to help until i can see a vet in the morning?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly don't know of anything you can give her that would change anything between now and tomorrow morning. You might consider getting some puppy pee pads and place them in an area of the pen that is a bit apart from the blankets and see if she might use those instead. It would help with clean up for now, and she might prefer not peeing on the kittens' blankets if she has the pee pads to use. You could still lay a blanket underneath, but at least you would only have to remove the pee pads.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree - something is bothering her. Definitely rule out and/or treat for a UTI first. Pee pads are an excellent idea too.