Young kitten pooping outside litterbox

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two 9 week old kittens(close siblings), plus I have an older cat in the house. Initially, everything went fine with both using the litterbox. One is still doing so, however the other has stopped and has been pooping on the carpet in various spots for a few days now. I have 3 litter boxes(at least one for kitten only) in case the one kitten is touchy about sharing. She is pretty bold in most other ways and is not showing any fear of me or the new environment.

Any suggestions?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you had them checked for worms? Some cats react to that by pooping outside the box. If they haven't had a vet check, this would be first on the list for me. If her fanny is itchy, she may well associate it with the box, not her body.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since the behaviour just started, a vet checkup is a good idea, just to make sure she doesn't have worms, or something else going on.

Are they eating anything different? Also, is the poop normal? Constipation and/or diarrhea might cause litter box accidents.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Check with your vet and see if they will accept a fecal sample without having to bring the kitten into their office - if these kittens have been recently seen by the vet, then you can save the cost of an actual appointment.

Are these 'various spots' that the kitten poops in the same places over and over again? If so, she likely can smell her scent in those locations and that is an invitation to poop there again and again. That being the case, you will need to get an enzymatic cleaner to clean the area in order to completely remove the scent. If there is a smell in those locations, you are lucky that the other kitten is not 'following suit'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten's behavior varies. For a couple days she seems to be only using the litter box, then today I caught her twice, once on the carpet, and then upon cleaning that area, she went behind the toilet which was only a couple feet from a box. And then just now, she's using a litterbox again.

Not sure what the pattern is.

Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any correlation to when the boxes are scooped or cleaned? Is there another kitten/cat who uses it right before her on those occasions she goes outside the box?

Also, as mentioned above, is the poop of normal consistency when she goes outside the box, or is it softer of harder. Does she go outside the box when given treats or a different food?

There likely is some sort of pattern - it just might take you a while to watch them like hawks before you see a connection.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know how funny this sounds, but since you are looking for a pattern, a "Poop Notebook" might be a good idea. A list of when and where, and under what circumstances that you can refer back to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, but the pattern alludes me so far. I see some solid, some partial liquid and that's both in and out of the box. I bought a new litter box too today to swap out one but so far no change.

Someone suggested digestive issues, and the kitten may be going more than her brother who I adopted also so she might have an issue.

I've had a hard time finding a good vet who doesn't overcharge or draw things out in the past.

Petco has a vet service? Anyone use them?

Clinic Locations & Schedules - VETCO Clinics

Worth a shot maybe.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry...I've been offline due to some issues on the home front. I haven't used them, but think that they are more of a "wellness" thing. Give them a call if you still need help, and ask.