Young cat viciously attacking elder

kikoandgus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please, anyone. I need help. My youngest kiko just attacked my elder Gus (4) very badly. He bit me very hard on the face in the process which he has never done.
They both get neutered dec 6th.

I don’t want to give kiko away. But I’m blubbering and bawling me eyes out as hair was flying and gus peed himself all over in terror. Please help. Any advice is appreciated. I tried the calming collars. It seemed to benefit gus in other ways but no kiko or his stalking him at all.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Separate them for now. What is their history, and what started the fighting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kikoandgus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Separate them for now. What is their history, and what started the fighting?
So this is kind of where the issue arises. I live in a studio apartment and the only locked door is my very tiny bathroom. Which the younger antagonist has learned to open. I leave the elder in there when I’m at work which just breaks my heart.

The older one never cared for kiko my youngest but the fighting started a couple months ago. I’m not sure why. But with every fight it seems they get more and more violent. Gus is just terrified of him now. I’ll do anything at this point I’m desperate

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to be a pest with asking for details, but I think we need the full history including how old the cats are, when you got the younger cat, what introduction process you did, how they were acting then, and also as much description as you can of the fights.

IF they are 100% fighting for real with intent to injure and cannot be separated, your, well, screwed. Cats don't work things out on their own if they are fighting for real. So you'd really need to fix the bathroom door to have the ability to separate them and slowly reintroduce them. But I don't want to jump ahead, sometimes when people think cats are fighting, they are doing something less than that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kikoandgus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to be a pest with asking for details, but I think we need the full history including how old the cats are, when you got the younger cat, what introduction process you did, how they were acting then, and also as much description as you can of the fights.

IF they are 100% fighting for real with intent to injure and cannot be separated, your, well, screwed. Cats don't work things out on their own if they are fighting for real. So you'd really need to fix the bathroom door to have the ability to separate them and slowly reintroduce them. But I don't want to jump ahead, sometimes when people think cats are fighting, they are doing something less than that.
Okay so, Gus is about 4 and a half years old. I got Kiko (now a year and a few months) in October of last year. I can be quite honest when I say I probably rushed the introduction. When i brought him home I immediately put him in the bathroom. I then swapped Gus into the bathroom to get used to his scent. I did this for about a few days and then would slowly bring Kiko out and let him run around.

They never fought or anything until Kiko was probably 8/9 months. I think it started out him just wanting to play and Gus then starting to resent him for how much energy he had. I would never say Gus was a fan but they used to fall asleep very close to eachother absolutely no problem. Also, a big factor is they are both intact. (They are getting the procedure both done December 6th. I've been waiting for this appointment since June. I know this is a huge factor and my own fault. So i'm thinking its territorial.

So fast forward, Gus would hiss and growl at him and just basically grow more hatred to him. At first I thought it was just Kiko trying to play and Gus trying to get away. I was very wrong. Every fight gets worse. Chunks of hair missing from both of them. Breaking and knocking things over. Wounds on both of their necks and heads (mostly Gus though). He started even trying to bully Gus out of the litter box but only AFTER his business was done.

Ive figured out how to wedge something under the door so Kiko can't open it. The only thing is the bathroom is insanely tiny. And living in a studio its the only part of my apartment with a door. I'm obviously planning on getting someone to watch Kiko for 2 weeks after he is neutered and then hopefully reintroduce them?

Any advice? I've never been so stressed and i feel awful for my poor boy getting bullied especially after having a blockage. At this point ill try anything I just don't want to have to resort to giving Kiko away.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this sounds like real fighting for sure, and I agree with a lengthy separation post-neutering followed by a reintroduction process. I don't want to be a pessimist, but just keep in mind that there is a chance that it won't fix your issue. Generally, when an older cat growls and hisses at a younger that wants to play, the younger is totally unfazed and keeps it up. This limits things from escalating. Its rare that the younger gets offended from getting growled and hissed at and things morph into actual fighting. Maybe its not being "offended," thats a strange concept for a cat, but for whatever reason, very very rarely, it seems like a switch flips and cat that wanted to play says, "Oh, we are fighting? Then I'll kill you." I had this, once, many years ago, and was never able to fix it. Separations and reintroductions just didn't change the basic dynamic. I'm more knowledgeable now, but it just seemed so intractable, that I'd be very afraid to find myself in the same situation. I've also had cats that needed to be isolated in a studio bathroom, and know how crazy hard that is. You get up at 3 am and need to pee, and good luck preventing an escape and fight which destroys progress.

So absolutely proceed with your plan. Its well thought out and could work. But with permanent separate lives impossible in a studio, it might be time to at least start thinking about what to do if this is unsolveable.