Young cat terrorizing my older cat

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a former feral, Georgie, that I brought into the house last October. She (thought it was a "he"!) was a TNR that became super attached to me and started following me to the house. When she was still living in the woods, she climbed up on my roof at 5am looking for me in my bedroom window! I had 2 house cats at the time, one has since passed away. Eventually she started sleeping in my basement at night- I knew winter was coming and making her "wild" again was never going to happen. So I had no choice but to bring her in the house with 14 year old Henry. I did it very slowly, she stayed in the basement for months and months and they met gradually through a screen door and everything.
They actually get along fine- never fought or anything BUT she is probably only 2 yrs old or so and she is obsessed with chasing poor Henry around. I know cats with a big age difference are a no-no, but I had no choice. Henry hardly ever comes downstairs and as soon as he does, she chases him back upstairs. I believe she just wants to play with him, but I also suspect she is slightly bullying him/taking his territory.
It breaks my heart to see him so uncomfortable in his own home- he won't play in front of her and is constantly creeping around corners looking for her. Summer was ok because she was outside all day, but now she's in 24/7 and he can't get a break. She even runs up when she hears him in the litterpan and spooks him. I can't have him becoming afraid of the litterpan!

I feel like I made a huge mistake and just wish it were me and Henry again. It's horrible, I feel like I can't really bond with her and I'm always yelling at her to stop. I read several books but they only talk about fighting, not playing. I tried the giant stuffed animal trick to give her something to attack. I will be in the middle of playing with her and once she is focused on him there's no stopping her. I'm afraid to try a water bottle or can of coins because I don't want to scare Henry. I really try to be positive and not yell or cause negativity or bad emotions but it still doesn't help.

I also have two Feliway diffusers going- the multicat type but fighting isn't really my problem so I don't think it's helping.

I just get so sad and regret this so much that I find myself crying over it. :(

Has anyone hired a behaviorist? I'm having trouble finding one in my area.
I will take any advice I can get! Thank you!!!

Lee Ann

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the younger kitty is longing for someone to play with! I adopted two kittens in July with three teenage cats in the house already. They kept each other company and my 16 year old actually played with them occasionally. He died from renal failure in November unfortunately. Little Oscar missed him horribly, and would try to play with my two older ones as Oliver doesn't play nearly as much these days. I adopted another kitty, a young female adult. And they get along beautifully! They don't bother the older cats nearly as much.

Now, the older cats will paw at the younger  And the younger ones interpret that as "Oh, you want to play!" and then all the hissing begins. But it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty! I just went through it and it's really horrible. I'm afraid everyone is going to say to get another one and that's the LAST thing I want to do! I'm liable to end up with two of them terrorizing him! Henry and Hannah (the orange kitty in my profile pic that passed away) got along perfectly. I didn't realize how good I had it. I wonder if her being born feral has anything to do with it? Maybe weaned too early or something?

I just want to find a behaviorist that can come and tell me exactly what to do to fix it- I need Jackson Galaxy!

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
It could be any number of things. But, he does sound like a social kitty, who wants to play more. Have you tried to play with him more to fill that need? If not, perhaps get some interactive toys to play with (like a toy on a string type toy). My cats LOVE that. 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
And while you can definitely bring a behaviorist into the picture, he may very well tell you that she is bored and/or lonely as well. Getting Penelopy didn't cure the problem 100% but it did help considerably. And the thing is, it's not really a "problem" per se, because for many (if not most) cats this is natural behavior to seek out someone to play with. 

dona0214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm new to the site and have a number of "multi-cat household" challenges.  I, too, have a younger cat  (Lilly) that is terrorizing our male cat (Buster) who is about 5 years old and is what we call our "special needs" cat.  Buster is not normal in the way he relates to others, and quickly became afraid of the younger aggressor.  

As you mentioned, it is so difficult to watch when Buster gets cornered and Lilly pounces on him.  The younger "predator" was a cat that was raised alone.  My son took her in when the family went into a homeless shelter (and were going to dump her on the street!). So I suspect she didn't really get socialized, and struggles to find ways to get along with other cats while also trying to establish herself in the hierarchy.

So I do have a similar problem, and I do sense that Lilly is a predator only with the cat she senses is vulnerable.  She is always on alert for opportunities to pounce on him, but has worked things out with the other adult cats.  (My son just brought home two 4-month old kittens, and Lilly is trying to establish herself as the boss with them as well.)  I think Lilly is just a bully - sweet and loving with humans, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried wearing her out with toys, I have so many! All of those kinds. I can't get her to the point of really getting tired like Jackson Galaxy suggests. Just last night she was laying on the floor sleeping and Henry walked by and didn't see her at first. As soon as he did, he just froze. Broke my heart! I put my hand up to block her and she stopped, then just ran around the corner and chased him back upstairs. I don't think it was playing that time, it almost seems like a territorial thing.
Sometimes I get so mad and resent her, but then she'll be cute and make me laugh.
He turned around and hissed at her last night and I praised him for it. I wish I could help him stand up for himself more, I guess it bothers me that he's letting her bully him.

It's nice to hear from someone else that's having the same problem but the situation stinks. I'll let you know if I come up with a solution!!!!