Young Cat. Pupils Dilated, Drainage, Eyes Glowy.

SadieAdvocate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little black cat with cute little stubby legs and a round belly, probably 1.5 years old. He came in off the street months ago. Took to vet. Treated for fleas, bathed, neutered. He now greets customers and keeps them company in the waiting area. Loudest purring cat I've ever heard in my life.

Anyway, I am concerned about his eyes. The vet didn't seem concerned. The eyes produce a lot of discharge every day. Eyes are always sort of dilated, and never form narrow slits. They frequently "glow" even in normal light. He looked like this before he came to be an indoor cat, and continues to have the same features months later.

For care, I wipe his face with a damp cloth to clear him up. The dried discharge is always dark red (?) and streaks up his face.

He seems to have problems with depth perception and object tracking when we play, but I don't really know if that's related at all. He might just be sight impaired.

Anybody know anything?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am betting that this cat is at least partially blind. This would account for the dilated pupils and the "glowy" effect, since that is a function of light reflecting off the back of a cat's eyes in the dark when its pupils are dialated. I'm also thinking that there is probably some infection of some sort, and would consider getting a second opinion. No good, reputable vet would object to that. And your cat would be far more comfortable if it is an infection and could be treated. Now, I have doubts that that would increase his vision, given how long it has been going on, but he would be a happier cat.

Until you can get that second opinion, keep doing what you are doing, and bless you for your love and care for a former street cat! What is his name? Have you been to New Cats on the Block yet to introduce yourselves? If not, just click and go! WELCOME!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SadieAdvocate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am betting that this cat is at least partially blind. This would account for the dilated pupils and the "glowy" effect, since that is a function of light reflecting off the back of a cat's eyes in the dark when its pupils are dialated. I'm also thinking that there is probably some infection of some sort, and would consider getting a second opinion. No good, reputable vet would object to that. And your cat would be far more comfortable if it is an infection and could be treated. Now, I have doubts that that would increase his vision, given how long it has been going on, but he would be a happier cat.

Until you can get that second opinion, keep doing what you are doing, and bless you for your love and care for a former street cat! What is his name? Have you been to New Cats on the Block yet to introduce yourselves? If not, just click and go! WELCOME!
You may very well be right about that. I am starting to wonder if it may be cataracts, but I don't really know how that looks in cats. Here is an image to help clarify the glowiness I am talking about. Any ideas? Due to recent experiences, I would like to know I've done my due diligence before vet visit.

This little guy's name is "Tater." That's what the folks in the neighborhood called him when he was a stray. I suppose it stuck.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The clouding in the right eye may actually be a cataract, but BOY he's young for that. I'm thinking it is secondary to an injury or infection, and in either of those cases, the sooner he can be seen and treated, the better chance he has of retaining some sight. Now, even if he goes completely blind, he can live a very happy, full life as an indoor kitty. Cats adapt amazingly well, and with a few adjustments (not moving major furniture more often than necessary, etc) do very well. Keep an eye out for toys that jingle or make other noises!

SadieAdvocate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update.

As I feared, local vet again was not any help, suggesting that "some cats are just like this." This is not a medical diagnosis nor is it helpful. Local vet also did not administer a CBC. This will be the final time I approach this vet.

For better or worse (though I think "better" in this case), I researched herbal approaches for the management of glaucoma and cataracts while I attempt raise the funds necessary to take him on a road trip to a proper vet hospital for a full exam. In particular, I still need to rule out the possibility of feline AIDS.

Tater has responded extremely well to oral administration (via medicine dropper) of hemp extract / CBD oil, which is known to help both glaucoma and cataracts in humans (among other things). The hemp extract I use is human grade, suspended in olive oil, and it contains no ingredients that can harm the cat. There is no possibility of overdose. Tater objects to the skunky aroma and flavor, but is generally a good sport and forgives quickly.

After one week, I observed slight pupil constriction in natural light for the very first time. Constriction ability continued to progress over the next week. His eyes still cannot form narrow slits in brighter areas, but has come quite far in a short amount of time. I have noted that his right eye is less able to constrict than his right, which would be consistent with a cataract. Nevertheless, it has regained some ability to constrict as well. This suggests to me that his interocular pressure is being affected by the hemp.

There is also comparatively less drainage and need for daily cleanup. His right eye still retains some cloudiness and "glow." Behaviorally, he has not changed very much, although I notice he spends slightly less time underneath desks and in dark spaces (which I believe is the preference of any creature whose pupils have been dilated).

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope you can get the guy to a vet soon! do keep us updated.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing a great job - I like that you have done research. My vet is a big proponent of alternative medicine and will research new ideas. You might be able to connect online with a holistic vet who will work with another local vet. I hope and pray that you get a lot of funds so Tater can go to a more efficient vet. And bless you for giving him both a home and a job - he is the essential receptionist!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you are at least keeping things stable, with some improvement! If you would, PM me with your location, and I'll do some searches to try and find someone reliable for you! Since I'm on and off the computer all day, don't worry if you don't hear from me for a day.

SadieAdvocate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Tater finally had his vet visit. He purred all the way up the highway, purred in the lobby, purred on the examining table, and purred all the way home. He made lots of new friends, who seemed very impressed at how docile and affectionate he is.

The vet performed a SNAP test, eye exam, and ear exam.

Tater is FIV positive, which helps to connect all his various symptoms: frequent and recurring infections, his pupils, the daily red discharge and tear streaks, as well other features. He probably got bitten before we took him in, or perhaps even contracted FIV from his mom.

For treatment, he received some antibiotic ointment for his eyes and a tube of tasty L-Lysine gel for an immune system boost, which he rather enjoys combined with his treats. The vet also finished off his ear mites, hopefully for the last time.

Tater can likely live to old age if he stays indoors and if we all commit to monitoring his health closely.

Not the best news, but not unexpected either. I am glad the office pal has a chance at a normal life, regardless.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might enjoy this article about FIV kitties.
Loving and living with a cat with FIV

I'm so glad that you have a vet now who is responsive to his needs, that's wonderful news!

While I hate that this has happened to your baby, I know that he is in wonderful, loving hands and that he will be loved and cared for always! Heck, at his age, and given mine, he may well outlive me!