Young cat not using litter box

Mcsuave2214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a young cat named piggy. She is not using the litter box when she is not shut in the bathroom with them. She has long back legs and short front legs, she hasn't been very playful since I've gotten her, she it utd on everything. Why is it when I leave her in bathroom she will use litter box 95% of the time but when she has full roam not a single time? She stops using it when 2 piles and 1 pee spot are in front... she won't use or move her site in different litter box location... so I keep it clean as possible. But when door is open she won't use it... first 5 months she used litter box just fine and had full roam of my place. Then she started making messes. I tried different litter that was non sented she used it when in bathroom but not outside. She doesn't cover anything as well.. I have another cat that only uses the other one and I have 1 extra box in different location that none use. They both get along groom, sleep and play with eachother. She goes anywhere on every surface, out in the open under the coffee table. I have used enzym carpet cleaner multiple times and anti marking spray with enzymes after I clean up. I've tried retraining her to use litter box but doesn't last long. Any suggestion? She can't be an in and out cat she is too small and durpy like to survive.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you had her in to the vet?
Have you tried a litterbox with a cover since she may like the privacy?
Maybe try Cat Attract

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mcsuave2214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I couldn't get a hold of my vet been trying all day and she will go anywhere and she has even gone in front of me stare at me so I don't think it's a privacy thing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Exactly how old is this cat? Does she both pee and poop outside the litter box if not in the bathroom?

You made mention of her shorter front legs compared to her back legs, so I am guessing you suspect this might have something to do with it? I know it is not a great solution, but it might be a temporary solution, to place a litter box in every room. Some of them, very low sided. If you are around most of the time, you can watch her and place her in a litter box when she starts to 'go'. You can even place some puppy pee pads in locations to see if she will use those, in lieu of any of the litter boxes.

Since she was using the litter box before and is now not doing so, there could be something going on anatomically that is progressing.

More information about her life and what is happening in your home (things you might take for granted, which can be big stress triggers for cats) might be another aspect to focus on. If this isn't physical, then it is emotional to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mcsuave2214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For privacy i feel like it isnt that because she will out out in the open in front of me and the other cat.. other cat is only a couple feet away in view. Her litter box does have low sides so its easy for her. Other cat does not use or guard her litter box I know this because it stays clean and not touched. There is a litter box in same room, that is covered, she mainly goes on floor in but doesn't use... like literally a couple feet away. The young cat goes into the bathroom a lot to sleep on a heated pad I have in there in a drawer with a towel over it. I finally got a hold of my vet and she is getting checked today for any infections...... I called where I got her and they said they used arm and hammer so ill try to see if she likes that if not attracting cat litter... she is 1 year old. So not a kitten but not a cat... for food I use 4health weight management due to both cats were on the thin side and I like them with a lil chunk. The food I have before wasnt that great, they didnt really like it but they had/have 24/7 food for them since my work schedule varies....
One extra fact... she doesn't cover her poo in the box... and when other cat notices she will cover it for her but not use box. I know this cuz their sizes are noticeable ....thank you guys for reaponding... either my cat is durby and don't like litter or there is medical reason why. Ill find out later today hopefully

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart for hanging in there with her!!

What if you put a litterbox back in the bathroom and leave the door partially closed?

Just in case this makes any difference, you might consider trying a calming diffuser. The 4health is the canned?