Young Cat Newly Diagnosed Diabetic

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

A month ago I took my roommates cat because he wasn’t good at caring him. He was underweight. But I was feeding him 1k calories of wet food daily. He’s been drinking 4 cups of water a day plus. So took him to the vet. We can’t afford the treatment. I know diet change can help. I’m maxed out with 5 other cats already and I wanted to rehome this cat.
I don’t think anyone will take him.

I’m not sure what else. He’s sugar was a 4 and he’s kidneys are in good health. He’s 2.5 years.

What’s next?

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll find great advice and help on the FelineDiabetes.com message board :)

If caring for the cat is not an option, reach out to Diabetic Cats In Need as well as the FelineDiabtes.com board

He’s sugar was a 4 and he’s kidneys are in good health.
4 mmol? That's 64 mg/dl in US numbers which is a completely normal blood glucose level.

Can you double check that blood glucose level with the vet? Was this level obtained by a quick blood glucose test (kind of like a finger stick for a Human diabetic) or a fructosamine test?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You'll find great advice and help on the FelineDiabetes.com message board :)

If caring for the cat is not an option, reach out to Diabetic Cats In Need as well as the FelineDiabtes.com board

4 mmol? That's 64 mg/dl in US numbers which is a completely normal blood glucose level.

Can you double check that blood glucose level with the vet? Was this level obtained by a quick blood glucose test (kind of like a finger stick for a Human diabetic) or a.

Yes. I’ll try tomorrow . I’m sure I was in a rush to ask for some help. He’s been peeing A River and isn’t gaining weight. He was starved by his previous owner. He’s eating 5-6 cans of cat food that are 200 calories a can and gained no weight. Plus eating 1-2 cups of dry food a day. I’ll contact the groups. Wish I knew about them. Thanks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thyroid issues can cause similar symptoms. Ask the vet if the test for thyroid was included with the blood work.

2.5 year is awfully young to be diabetic. Juvenile diabetes is kind of rare in cats but can happen.

I'd give the cat only canned food if possible, low carb ones at that. Use the Catinfo.org chart: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf Whatever large size canned that has under 10% carbs is best. Dry food just keeps blood glucose levels too high, like a Human diabetic eating sugary desserts and greasy junk food.