Young Cat Has Stopped Eating Moist And Occasionally Eats Dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate a bit less than 1/2 cup of kibble in 24 hours. He wants something else and each time I offer the moist he walks away.
I took him to a new vet and she examined him and found nothing amiss. She had 3 suggestions - pain killer (Metacam), appetite enhancer and perhaps another blood test.
So I did not get the answers I was hoping for. He has been alert all afternoon but that is because I was there. I am the only person he knows and wants to be with me.
I have measured out another half cup of kibble and we will see. I will get an opinion on the Metacam from the original vet tech when she phones.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
24 hours later. He has only eaten about a quarter cup of kibble. Won't play and is very quiet. The vet wants me to go back and see her but what is the point? They have done nothing yet except take my money and say "we don't know what it is". To recap. He was much more active before dental surgery than now. He is a changed cat. The surgery took place 9 days ago.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The little guy is not doing well. In 36 hours he has eaten about 1/3 (measured) cup of kibble. Yesterday he played and acted normal except for the eating and today he won't play and of course ignores the food. When I spoke to the vet she said the mouth looked good and his blood/urine work was good so there was no point in bringing him back for a recheck. They suggested more doses of Buprenorphine but I did not start because he was doing okay and I really hate putting chemicals into his body. BTW I am in the process of changing vet clinics. I can't force him to eat so I am really at a loss. As an indoor cat he has been my constant companion since my wife died.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those of us who know cats well also know that the best food for any cat......is any food the cat will eat.

Those of us who know cats really well.........also know that we'll never win in direct conflict with any determined cat.

Feed him the best dry food you can (most meat & fat, fewest carbohydrates)....be happy........and he will be the same.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Along with 8 different brands of moist food which he has not touched he has so far had 4 brands of kibble. When does eat he might prefer one today and not tomorrow. I just bought him Meow Mix and he had 2 or 3 pieces and walked away.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay for those loyal cat friends who are following this thread here is more. I called the vet who did the dental surgery and suggested I bring him back even if its for a weight check. I do not like going there and neither does my cat but we went. His weight is much the same as before (4.78 kg) and his gums are healing nicely. Heart is good as was his temperature. He started to urinate out of his box which was a previous problem until I changed the brand of litter. This morning it was on my bed. The vet suggested a urine sample/test and I asked if a urinary disease would take away his appetite and she said no. So I said we would wait. She was not concerned with the small amount of food he was eating as was still eating. Maybe I am being to much of a helicopter parent and should let him be. I am certain he feels my stress and it possibly why he peed on the bed.
Standby for future reports.