Young cat doesn't sleep much?

marissam16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
People always say that kittens sleep about 16 hours a day and mine just doesn't. She is 10 months. To be fair, I adopted her Sunday afternoon so she is still quite new. She adjusted really well since she is a super sweet cat. She wasn't scared of us at all and was rubbing on our legs from the get go.

I noticed something was wrong with her mouth from the beginning though. I took her to the vet yesterday afternoon and she has ulcerative stomatitis. She had to be sedated since she was lashing out due to being horrified. She got shots and I can tell she already feels much better due to her eating and playing more. After she came home though, she hadn't slept in over 24 hours and just wanted to play. She also went throughs some side effects of the sedation such as staring into space, sitting in one spot and just staring at nothing, not sleeping, confused, etc. She finally began taking some naps this evening though but she only sleeps about 30 minutes to and hour at a time before getting up.

I know she's new, had a painful issue, and had a vet visit... but I am still worried. It's just draining to see her up all day and night following my every step and being so energetic. I feel guilty for not playing all day but I already play with her for a few hours a day. We give her plenty of attention, love, and playtime.

Is this normal for kittens this age? How long does it usually take for a kitten to get adjusted to their new home and feel 100% comfortable?

She wakes up at the sound of every noise (probably due to it being a new noise) so it's like she never is in a deep sleep. :( She has been spayed and has a clean bill of health besides her ulcerative stomatitis which should be getting better now due to the antibiotics shot. I'm just new to owning such a young cat and it gets overwhelming to see her up and about so much. I've been trying to teach her our routine and chill out at night, but it might just take some time. She has been doing good and coming to sleep with me in bed at night but ever since her vet visit, she's been a little out of it and super hyper.

I know she's new and it hasn't even been a week (and yesterday was a stressful day for her) but as a person with anxiety, it's reassuring and calming to hear people state the obvious such as "She's new and it'll take time." and such. It's just a huge learning curve for me as well since I've never adopted a kitten this young and with her stomatitis issue, it's another thing on my plate to stress me out and make me even more anxious. I'm even on the quest now to find wet food she'll like and actually eat the meat from to help her stomatitis. She just likes to lick the broth/gravy.

I do play with her for periods of time throughout the day and before night, but she's just so amped and geared up. If anyone has any tips or knowledge on ulcerative stomatitis too (especially person experience) I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks to everyone who is always helping me on my posts. I appreciate it a lot.

I always write super long posts just to make sure people have lots of information about the situation. So sorry for the lengths. :cringe:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 10 months, she's almost an adult, so I wouldn't expect her to sleep as much as a tiny kitten, plus because she was given certain drugs, that does sometimes cause cats to have reverse effect and keep them up instead of the opposite. I would give it a little time and see if she settles in some. It could simply be that she feels good after feeling bad, and simply wants to enjoy it :cloud9: But most cats "cat nap" and can wake up instantly. They have to feel extremely safe to go into a deep sleep. That's not really in their nature.

As to the stomatitis, here is a thread where several people have chimed in on what has or hasn't worked for them Cat with stomatitis

If you can find a pate style food that she'll eat, they you won't have to worry about her only eating gravy. I feed pate and mix it with a little bit of water so it's not so thick. Makes it easier for them to lap it up too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marissam16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I appreciate it lots. :) I am definitely going to give her some time and see how she does.

I had my dear baby pass away in late February after battling UTI's and other issues and having my new baby diagnosed with stomatitis is so triggering to me. I spent months crying and worrying over my late cat to now be crying and worrying about stomatitis and googling it.. of course, it pulls up only horrible stories and it's so depressing. Her not sleeping much and having this issue is making me extremely anxious and lose sleep now. :bawling2: Just hope she will be okay.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first thought, as weII, was that she is feeIing good for the first time in a whiIe now. And she's in a new pIace. And, thank GOODNESS you had her mouth attended to earIy! Soonest seen, soonest mended! I'm pretty confident that your baby girI wiII do fine.