Young Cat Difficulty with Jumping?

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - been quite a while since I have been on here. I hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe. I hope I am just being an over-paranoid cat mom here, so I would love some insight. I will just jump right into it:

My boy Dillon will be turning 4 this April. He has a LOT of difficulty with jumping and I've noticed his ability decreasing more. He, as I like to say, "runs a size large," the vet said at his recent physical said "he is not overweight, but don't let him gain any more weight." Now here is the thing: when he was a kitten, he had a habit of knocking his head HARD. For example, the kitchen table I had in my apartment had one of those "arms" underneath which rotated to support an additional leaf in the table. These were attached to the table with some kind of screw. Dillon would try to jump on my lap while I was sitting at the table and knock his head. He would also do this with the coffee table which had a kind of lip around it underneath. I promise, these jumps usually came when I was distracted otherwise I would just pick him up. I have told the vet of his noodle-nockins' and whether I should actually be concerned or not and it was pretty much just brushed/laughed off. He doesn't have an issue with walking, running, grooming himself, eating, drinking, or bathroom habits. It's just jumping he is not very good with.

The incident that prompted me to write this post happened not even a half hour ago. He attempted to jump onto my printer from my bed; I'd say about a 3-ish foot distance at about 45-60 degree angle. He went to leap and just kind of ... fell (no worries, the floor is soft and carpeted).

I guess I am just wondering how to proceed, whether I should ask for scans or something with the vet and whether this is an imminent situation (for lack of a better way to put it, my apologies I am just getting over a migraine/sinus infection so my head isn't 100% either - lol). Of course my boys love to have vet-worthy situations right after I drop money on big purchases. Any insight would be much appreciated. This boy is my absolute world and he has me quite wound up right now. :sniffle:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be he has some mild vision issues and isnt able to judge the distance or see the end spot clearly enough. I don’t know if there would be any treatment if that was the case.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does it seem to be any specific thing that causes the jumping issue? Like does he gauge it wrong and miss or does it seem more like a weakness in his legs?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The first place my mind went was, "I wonder if he has some vision issues." I would definitely mention this next time he is in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It definitely apepars (in my opinion) to be a gauging issue. He doesn't seem to have any weakness anywhere. I will keep an eye and mention it next time I call in; I get his food there so I do call relatively often. Not that vision problems are good, but I'm hoping there is nothing neurological. Even with insurance that could add up quickly.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all - been quite a while since I have been on here. I hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe. I hope I am just being an over-paranoid cat mom here, so I would love some insight. I will just jump right into it:

My boy Dillon will be turning 4 this April. He has a LOT of difficulty with jumping and I've noticed his ability decreasing more. He, as I like to say, "runs a size large," the vet said at his recent physical said "he is not overweight, but don't let him gain any more weight." Now here is the thing: when he was a kitten, he had a habit of knocking his head HARD. For example, the kitchen table I had in my apartment had one of those "arms" underneath which rotated to support an additional leaf in the table. These were attached to the table with some kind of screw. Dillon would try to jump on my lap while I was sitting at the table and knock his head. He would also do this with the coffee table which had a kind of lip around it underneath. I promise, these jumps usually came when I was distracted otherwise I would just pick him up. I have told the vet of his noodle-nockins' and whether I should actually be concerned or not and it was pretty much just brushed/laughed off. He doesn't have an issue with walking, running, grooming himself, eating, drinking, or bathroom habits. It's just jumping he is not very good with.

The incident that prompted me to write this post happened not even a half hour ago. He attempted to jump onto my printer from my bed; I'd say about a 3-ish foot distance at about 45-60 degree angle. He went to leap and just kind of ... fell (no worries, the floor is soft and carpeted).

I guess I am just wondering how to proceed, whether I should ask for scans or something with the vet and whether this is an imminent situation (for lack of a better way to put it, my apologies I am just getting over a migraine/sinus infection so my head isn't 100% either - lol). Of course my boys love to have vet-worthy situations right after I drop money on big purchases. Any insight would be much appreciated. This boy is my absolute world and he has me quite wound up right now. :sniffle:
Outside of vision problems, cats who are overweight, almost overweight, or just large in general can have some arthritis or joint issues (yes, even at a young age). You can always try glucosamine treats that help with joint pain and discomfort.