Young Again Dry Cat Food

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 males 2.5 years old. I've tried just about every cat food in an effort to help them shed a few pounds. They are mostly inside cats that do go out daily. However, they don't get a lot of exercise. They go outside, find a nice warm spot and take a nap.

They hate wet food to the point that all they do is lick the gravy. I've tried every brand and texture you can imagine. In short I've spent a small fortune trying to get them to accept can foods and they just refuse.

Also, I've tried just about every dry food know to mankind. They like Wild Frontier or Crave dry food but not the wet. I've even tried the raw diet foods and it didn't work.

Looking at Young Again as it is high protein low carb dry food in an effort to help them shed some weight.

Anyone every try this food? If so has it worked with weight loss.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never for weight loss but I fed Young Again for a while, many years back, to my IBD cat. He did ok on it but still had too many flare-ups so I moved on. I think it was the chicken ingredients that were problematic because he definitely doesn't tolerate chicken well. Otherwise, I felt it was one of the better dry foods.

At any rate, you did not mention how you feed them so I am assuming that you are free feeding them ... keeping the bowl full and letting them eat the dry food whenever they want to. Some cats do fine this way and won't get overweight, others will overeat and get too fat. You can try the Young Again, it's low carbs for a dry food or they have zero carb formulas as well. But the simplest way would be to simply limit the amount of the current dry food that you feed them. You can do this by estimating what you are feeding them now and simply start reducing the amount of food. The downside is that you will probably have to deal with hungry acting cats for a while until they get used to the change, especially if you are free feeding and they empty to bowls early. You can also try switching to timed meals, two or 3 times per day if you aren't feeding this way now. Feed a set amount of food at each meal time. That way, if they do empty their bowls early, another meal will be there for them later in the day. They may not make you feel as guilty this way.

Finally, don't cut calories too drastically. I'm not 100% sure what's safe for a cat but was advised on this forum that 1/2 lb per month of weight gain should be ok but not sure if that also applies to weight loss. Do some checking to find out what is considered safe, I'm sure someone here knows. If not, your vet will. There will be some trial involved as you need to know how much they are eating now so that you have a baseline for reducing the amount. But it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. When I switched to an all wet diet, the easiest way that I found was to regularly weigh my cat to make sure he was gaining and not losing weight. There was a little more to it to figure out how many calories to start with, and some of that was a guess because every cats metabolism is different, but it wasn't difficult. I knew within a week or two that I was on the right track by simply monitoring his weight.

xdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has gained 1/2 pound! Been trying Young Again for 6 months trying to give it a chance, but my kitty who used to be normal weight, gained weight. Something about this food makes her gorge, so can’t do the free feeding they recommend. Instead have to painstakingly ration out the tiny 1/4C they recommend for her size. She is crying all the time for more food. Not to mention the horrific stinky, soft poo. Last ditch effort ordered their zero formula, haven’t tried it yet, but doubt there will be improvement based on other posts on the web. It appears their quality control may not be best, so it’s a gamble if they send a good batch or not. I did contact the company, but they just offer the same info from their website.

xdcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
X xdcat can you try some canned fancy Fancy feast?
We can’t do canned food with her, she won’t eat pâté, only eats the kind with gravy, which gives her diarrhea. She’s started to eat little bit of homemade turkey again, so will try transitioning off young again.