You wont believe what I just found!!....

wommers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a gorgeous little bird! He does really look like a House Finch. My mother is an avid birder, and we see a LOT of them. If it's a bacteria he might need some sort of antibiotic eyedrop to recover. Hopefully the rehab center will be able to take him. I know a lot of domestic veterinarians will not treat wild animals for legal reasons, so otherwise it might be hard to get medication to fix his eyes if he needs it.

It's so good that he's eating, though. I know that the House Finches we feed eat a wild bird mix. Maybe he wasn't eating at first because he wasn't feeling well? Or perhaps because he couldn't see his food? I don't know how important vision is to feeding for finches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would he have survived if I didnt rescue him? I sure hope the Rehab. Center can help him.
He seems to only eat when ive cleaned his eye so I think his vision is needed. Hes not taking in water unless I give it to him by hand ((which he seems to like I might add
)). He still hasnt made any sounds! im shocked! the last House Finch we rescued ((was back in FL during one of the hurricanes about 3yrs ago)) always made sounds... idk why he hasnt.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looks like he may have an illness, closing its eyes like that isnt normal im sure of that.

Finches like sunflower seeds,millet,thistle seeds, berries and insects.

I would be very worried about releasing him, is there any rescue place you can take him too? If it's a non-treatable but not fatal illness it would need to be kept in captivity.

Seeing it made it this far to an adult I think it caught an illness or got an injury mabye flew into a window.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, our lil Finch is now at the Tamarack Wildlife Rehab. Center!!! They came and picked him up Noon time today... I will miss him but they are able to give him the Medical help he needs.
Im ganna call them in a couple days to check on him... and ill update you guys when I get updates. Poor lil guy will be missed.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to give you an update, there is a severe eye epidemic in finches spreading in the U.S, incase you find any more like this.

I'm almost positive yours had this, it's getting really common now, which is bad!

Please visit this link, I think there is a place your supposed to report this too so they know where it is spreading.

http://bird-watching.suite101.com/ar...ch_eye_disease

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for taking him in! House finches love black sunflower seeds. Make sure to get just that and not the wild bird mix. They will eat thistle seeds, but like the sunflower seeds much more. Thistle seeds can be bought at Lowe's.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehe... umm.. hes at the Tamarack Wild Life Rehab. now.

I havnt gotten any updates.. I havnt been able to call them but I did send an Email a couple days ago but No Response

I hope hes doing ok.

Also when the Lady came and picked him up she saw that I had a 'Tiel but she didnt seem worried that he may have caught the Conjunctivitis... so maybe it doesnt spread as easily as we thought. Petra ((my 'Tiel)) is fine BTW.

keith p:
Ive read that Article... Pretty interesting info in there.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad it was informative! A friend told me about it and I remember this thread so I figured i'd make you aware of it. I do notice alot less of them here, usually they fill my bird feeders.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a cute lil' bird! I see those all the time around here...along with the yellow and black ones...so pretty! Glad you were able to help that one!