You May Be A Cat Person If...

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... you get worried something is wrong with Precious if you're not woken up during the night by his/her not-so-light pouncing on you or licking you.
... even though you hate doing it, you clean up hairballs and then sit with your kitty and talk sypathetically to make it all better.
... you've learned to not have the carrier in sight on 'going to the groomer day' or 'going to the vet day'.
... you explain, "He only bit you because you petted him the wrong way/in the wrong spot."

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
...some of your furniture is shredded and one of your cheap doors has a small hole scratched in it.

...you spend as much on your cats as you do on yourself. Maybe more.

...you have to watch your step because of all the tunnels, kitty houses, toys, scratchers and, of course, kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When your own groceries take one trip to bring in, but kitty's takes three.

When you think long and hard about spending an extra $2.50 for your favorite ice cream, but when there's a sale on Blue Buffalo cat food, you drop $50 on it without batting an eye.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you think long and hard about spending an extra $2.50 for your favorite ice cream, but when there's a sale on Blue Buffalo cat food, you drop $50 on it without batting an eye.
Oh my gosh, yes!!!
We did a bulk buy on dog and cat food, and spent hundreds. The reaction was like "yay for bulk purchases!" and didn't really even consider how much money we actually spent.
Earlier this month I decided that the shoes I've worn for 25 years and are pretty much a ratty sole and a pair of thrice broken and tied back together shoe strings are "fine".

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
-You're so used to having cats staring at you through a meal you're kind of surprised that others are disturbed by it.
-You find a random turd or hairball in the window sill and it doesn't even faze you.
-You can hold animated, excited conversations for hours on the subject of cat litter.
-You think "ear mites" makes an excellent topic for dinner time discussion.
-You find yourself feeling like you've just won a week long trip in a tropical paradise when your constipated cat finally craps, and you don't understand why random acquaintances don't share your joy.
-You find yourself slow blinking at strangers who seem upset.
-You've tried to purr and only managed to sound like a lawn mower with an electrical problem.
-You've actually found yourself canceling evening plans with friends because your old cat or new kitten jumped in your lap and fell asleep and you don't want to disturb them.
-When someone talks about their rebellious teenager, you need to actively remind yourself NOT to ask...
-- Are they neutered?
-- Have you taken them to the vet?
-- Would you be willing to try a calming collar or a Feliway diffuser?
-- (and for dog people...) are they crate trained?

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
-
-You can hold animated, excited conversations for hours on the subject of cat litter.
I once made a customer /so/ angry by telling her about how awesome Breeze litter was... How was I supposed to know I'd been at it for nearly an hour and she was giving all sorts of nonverbal cues that she needed to go? Oh, well. If she wants to stick with Fresh Step, so be it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once made a customer /so/ angry by telling her about how awesome Breeze litter was... How was I supposed to know I'd been at it for nearly an hour and she was giving all sorts of nonverbal cues that she needed to go? Oh, well. If she wants to stick with Fresh Step, so be it.
I tried to convince a dude following a very old style dog training method that the reason his dog pees at his feet when he goes to put the leash on is because the dog had realized that the owner reaching for the collar = a collar jerk.
This dude actively admired our dogs and their obedience and titles and working ability but didn't seem to put two and two together and insisted that his soft pet dog needed a harsher hand than our working bred dogs did.
Yikes.
Sometimes it's better to just scoop some litter over that **** and walk on.

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to convince a dude following a very old style dog training method that the reason his dog pees at his feet when he goes to put the leash on is because the dog had realized that the owner reaching for the collar = a collar jerk.
This dude actively admired our dogs and their obedience and titles and working ability but didn't seem to put two and two together and insisted that his soft pet dog needed a harsher hand than our working bred dogs did.
Yikes.
Sometimes it's better to just scoop some litter over that **** and walk on.
Ugh, I know... I get that /all/ the time at work. People who insist ABC because their trainer said XYZ, or their vet said 123. Not realizing that they're literally just after money. I will build people's baskets /down/ to get their pet treated right.

But, back to the topic, you know you're a cat person if you make plans based around their play schedule.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I know... I get that /all/ the time at work. People who insist ABC because their trainer said XYZ, or their vet said 123. Not realizing that they're literally just after money. I will build people's baskets /down/ to get their pet treated right.

But, back to the topic, you know you're a cat person if you make plans based around their play schedule.
It can be frustrating. I love my dogs, but over all dogs are dense where cats are sensitive, and I just want to scream "my cats know their names!! They know how to sit!! they high five! It's adorable!!! I trained cats for craps sake! I'm not an idiot, I can help you and your dog, and I'll do it for free!" but people don't want to hear it =(
Also...
You're probably a cat person if you can imitate a mother cat meow so well that kittens that are 4-6 weeks old and have never seen a human come toddling your way, peeping for food.
Oh, and you're probably a cat person if you go to a crowded party full of people you barely know at someones house and ignore the patrons in favor of the house cat.
I totally ran off a potential spouse that way in my young years, because this persons cat was way cooler than they were. And I am 50% feeling bad for saying that and 50% of me is laughing hard over it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simple enough. Just post those funny, odd, or sad things that are the hallmarks of being a cat person. Just kidding, there are no sad things, because cats are heavenly emissaries of joy and tranquility. Your posts should continue the sentence begun, 'You may be a cat person if...'

You may be a cat person if...

The couch that was blue when you bought it is now best described as "tortoise-shell".

Your best friend sneezes every time she is around your favorite shirt because she is allergic.

You do a long, slow blink any time you make eye contact with an animal or person. My bearded dragon thinks I am insane due to this.

You compulsively check the sides of everyone's couches for scratch marks, even if they don't own a cat.

Your first instinct upon seeing someone wearing feathers is to chuckle and imagine what your cat would do.

All of your Pottermore quizzes come back with some form of cat: Gryffindor, Tortoise-Shell Cat Patronus, Cat animagus form, cat pet.

You scare potential mates away by telling them how many cats (or pets in general) you have.

You see a dog and want to hiss.

You have more pictures of your cat on your phone than yourself or your significant other.

Your cat /is/ your significant other (in a non-creepy sort of way).

You respond to every 'meow' with 'yes, Your Grace,' even when it's not your cat.

Your first instinct on a depressive day is to find the cat and abduct them for infinite amounts of snuggletime to make the world go away for a few minutes.
*YES.*
IMG_0466.JPG

*Tarifa on HER dining room table. Which she lets me use at times.*

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your visiting friends never fail to comment "Your cat eats better than I do" after looking at the cans on your kitchen counter. "Free-range chicken, lobster, salmon, lamb burger, organic turkey?!"
We've heard that too! We've also heard "wow your pets are so spoiled", which is confusing because providing them a good daily diet isn't spoiling anymore than feeding your kids something besides pop tarts and Pepsi is!

You also have been known to take an empty box, cut out little peep holes and decorate it...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've heard that too! We've also heard "wow your pets are so spoiled", which is confusing because providing them a good daily diet isn't spoiling anymore than feeding your kids something besides pop tarts and Pepsi is!

You also have been known to take an empty box, cut out little peep holes and decorate it...
...yeah, but PopTarts and Pepsi, plus pizza and burgers, is the great American diet :sigh:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you know exactly what your cat wants just by the way they look at you.

Of course you also put a soft fleece blanket in it so they don't have to nap on cardboard.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and wrap it in wrapping paper because it looks cute.
Then feel amused and defeated when they shred the paper off....
Some people I know built this CASTLE for their cats. I mean, it looks like a castle. It's huge. It takes up half the room it's in! Obversely, though, I was told they only scoop their litter box -- I think it's one for three cats, which is bad to start -- like once a week or less. But they love their cats. They rescued all of them. *go figure*