You don't know cold until.....

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I have seen ads lately enticing people to retire to Belize.  It's supposed to be a low cost of living.
Weather's beautiful but don't retire to Belize City, it's known for not being very safe.  I was there in January--the hotel was fenced in with barbed wire around the top of it.  And we were strongly advised to not go out walking alone, not even a block or two.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's currently 0F here in the lower Ohio RIver Valley, not to mention wind chills. I have all the fuzzy and fleecy throws out and using the oven as much as possible.

I am so glad my Grandpa B decided not to stay in South Dakota after teaching there in the 1910s.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked the temperature here in Columbus OH and it's -1 F a little after 2 in the afternoon.  It's a little colder now than this morning.  I went out at 9:00 A.M and it was 2.  I didn't have to go anywhere but I went out started the car and let it run for about 20 minutes to get the battery charged up.  I know if you just let a car sit and sit in this stuff it won't start.  I have AAA but that's a hassle and given my luck I would need to get somewhere and I would be stuck waiting for AAA.

I love working from home in the winter.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never in my entire life have I seen temperatures as low as they have been in NY/NJ, and tomorrow will be even worse.

They are predicting -25 around 7am with wind chill.

THAT'S INSANE HERE!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, supposed to go down to 17 tonight. That's cold here!  They said it hasn't been that cold here in 30 years!!  

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too funny. School decided to cancel classes for tomorrow too, that's 2 extra days of vacation (although I'm a bit bummed since i was really looking forward to classes!)

"The National Weather Service continues to report hazardous weather conditions and the coldest temperatures in 20 years in Michigan, including a wind chill warning and winter weather advisory for the Washtenaw County region. Wind chill temperatures in the region are forecast to reach 39 below on Tuesday."

I was out today trying to take pictures. Too hazardous, although it was sunny and pretty!

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The schools here have started canceling for tomorrow.  It's supposed to get down to -7 F tonight with windchills between 30 and 39 below zero.  They are at 25 below now.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
-6 this morning when I left for work. I have no idea what the wind chill was, but right now we're up to -4 with a wind chill of -18. 

Til I'm ready for walk today, it will be up to 6 with a wind chill of -13. 

I HATE WINTER 

It's freezing here at work. I have my little heater running full-tilt.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 9:24 am here and 22 F with 10 F wind chill. I know that's a heat wave for many of you here, but when I was leaving SSI to go to Jacksonville, FL yesterday morning at 6:30 am it was only 68 F. And 22 F is incredibly cold for here.

I hope everyone and their kitties are safe!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's -4 F with a wind chill of -24 and it's after 9:30 in the morning.  It's supposed to get up to 10 today.  Last night and this morning was supposed to be the worst of this wave of it anyway.  I don't have to go anywhere today but I am getting ready to go out and start the car and let it run for awhile.

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was watching Sky News today and they had a report on this Polar Vortex that's hitting America , it looks really really cold .

Here in the UK we are having some of the worst flooding we've had in many years , the weather seems to be going crazy .

Anyway Keep safe and warm

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday it was -10 degrees with a wind chill of -39. Our 'high' was 15 degrees. Today I wake up and it's 18 degrees with a high today of almost 50! One good thing about Nebraska, if you don't like the weather wait a day! I really don't mind the cold, I get so burnt out with weeding and watering during this drought I LOVE not having to do all that! We were almost 10 inches below normal again, 1/2 of what we usually get. My poor son lives in Minneapolis, now THAT'S cold!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My car didn't start so I am waiting for AAA.  I know it's going to be a long wait.  I have had older cars in areas that were colder than this and never had a car not start.  I extended everything on this car including the preventative maintence, I am hoping they get here in time for me to take it the dealer.  I know it got down to -7 last night but that isn't so low that a car with no issues should not start.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope they get there quickly Denice! Do you have those block heaters where you are? Our last car had one and my DH loved it.
My friend locked herself out of her running car last week in the frigid temps. She had just started it, then got out to brush the snow off and somehow locked herself out. She had to wait over an hour for the car guys to show up as they were run off their feet with all the boosting and towing they had to do.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had a heinous day so far.

Was woken up at 1am by our doorbell ringing.  Then, the chime inside started buzzing loudly.  Woke me up from a dead sleep.  My BF was still awake and we both thought someone had rang the bell.  Nope.  To make a long story short it must have been related to the frigid temperatures.  He went outside and pressed the bell and it all stopped.  

Had trouble falling back to sleep.  Woke up to the alarm at 6am (usually I'm up long before it).  Saw there were alerts about my trains being massively delayed so I decided to go in later.  

5 degrees.  -15 or so with windchill when I left.

Got to train.  Station was mobbed, but snagged a seat to wait.  Got on train, and OMG it was SO crowded.  Could not get a seat.  Tried to get off the train so wait for next one and the doors closed.  So now I'm stuck standing inbetween cars, which is frigid.  After 20 minutes or so we got to a main switching hub and thankfully, enough people got off before more got on and I grabbed a seat.  BTW, I have a tear in my knee, so sitting is pretty necessary.

Got to NYC/Penn Station.  Got on subway.  Get out of subway and had to walk to my office which is downtown, near the water.  Like having buckets of ice hitting your face, and my feet still had not completely warmed up from having to stand earlier on the commuter train.  The escalator was out from that station, which meant I had to walk up a big flight of stairs to reach ground level.  Again - tear in knee - not thrilled.

Didn't get into my office until just after 10:30 am.  I'm beat.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

-6 this morning when I left for work. I have no idea what the wind chill was, but right now we're up to -4 with a wind chill of -18. 

Til I'm ready for walk today, it will be up to 6 with a wind chill of -13. 

I HATE WINTER 

It's freezing here at work. I have my little heater running full-tilt.
Boy Pam; if you just shut off your heater you might burn enough calories shivering to skip the walk. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing works right when it get really cold unless you live in an area where things are made to withstand real cold weather.  I am still waiting for AAA.  One thing it did when I was trying to start my car a gas pump showed up in the little window that gives information.  I am wondering if there is a problem with the fuel line or pump.  It has a full tank, I know that's a good thing to have when it gets really cold.  Of course it doesn't take much trying to start a car when it's this cold for the battery to be dead.  It started the clicking thing soon after I first tried to start it.  If it's the fuel pump or fuel line then it will need towed and the dealership closes at like 6 P.M.

They've had 2 water main lines breaks in downtown Columbus OH.  I would hate to have to work on fixing that.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...main-break-main-street-4th-street-update.html

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
aaa finally showed up. Now I'm at the dealers waiting on a battery. He hooked his box up to it and it started right up didn't even turn over slow.