You Didn't Even Say Goodbye, Jeff

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she was a cat, but please keep on reading.

This can't be good-bye

"Remember, we treat our body like a temple, we don't get into cat fights and we watch for cars. We don't hurt any little animals and neither one of us goes before the other. I mean it Jeff, don't you hurt me, don't you make me cry."

I don't know why but seeing Jeff always had a calming effect on me, like everything was gonna be alright.

And with those words and a kiss on top of her head, I would send her out into the night. Only on March 29th I was in a hurry and somebody else put her out. On that night I had just come back from a seven hour trip on the road and I was exhausted. I greeted Jeff as she came around the house and brought her in with me, but being so worn out from the trip, I quickly retreated to the t.v. room, leaving someone else to feed her. After a few minutes into a show a bad feeling about Jeff came over me and fear flooded my mind. I ran up the stairs and rushed back to the front room, but by that time it was too late, Jeff had already gobbled down her dinner and had gone out. Real panic began to set in and I found myself uncharacteristically going outside every hour, calling her name. I kept calling out for her until I finally passed out at four.

Jeff couldn't come to my pleading calls nor could she even hear them, she was already gone from this world

Jeff
Jeff was her name, and she was a 15 pound Tabby Cat with a wild exotic face in the likes that I have never seen before. She had the long jungle cat face, equipped with the wide-set gold eyes of a cougar and the mischievous grin of a bob-cat. She looked worldly wise, very sophisticated, and I had a hard time picturing Jeff as a kitten. I remembering my mother visiting me and when seeing Jeff she remarked: "That cat looks like she holds all the secrets of the world." She came into my life seven years ago.

One day a raggedy tabby cat decided to take up residence in my backyard shed. When I noticed him I thought to myself that this old tom cat has come here to die. He was skinny, raggedy, and frankly looked like he was fed up with life. He took up residence in my back shed. I had to watch him from afar because he would bolt the minute his eyes would catch mine. I began the path towards friendship by bringing him food and cold skim milk. This proved to be a tricky feat since he was so wary of every step I made. I always had to stop a great distance from him, put the food down, and walk away saying: "I won't' bother you any." I made sure not to change even one step in that routine in fear of eroding any progress towards trust He eventually began to let his guard down and we found ourselves edging physically closer to one another every few days. Five months passed since I first discovered Jeff and I decided one day to reach out and touch him, which turned out to be an arrogant mistake on my part. He jumped a foot in the air and I quickly retreated with a mummer of "I'm sorry, I should have asked." The next day I held out my hand to him while keeping my eyes down. He slowly sniffed my offering hand, and then jumped up on his hind feet to bump it with his head. We were finally friends, and neither one of us looked back.

jeff.jpg
I soon discovered that Jeff was a she but the name stuck.

Her Personality

Every night she would greet my car and if I lingered too long in it, listening to the radio, she would proceed to jump up and down on the hood. She was a huge cat with an equally size zest for life: she played hard, she ate with a gusto, and she was fiercely loyal to me. She possessed the unique quality of making me feel as though I was the only person in her world. I felt very honored and very special indeed when I was with her.

Her humor was boundless. Whenever I would dig in my yard I would always have Jeff, right next to me, digging. Her favorite game was to tackle me as I walked through the yard, wrapping her arms around my lower legs and giving them a gentle bite. She had a little bit of wickedness to her humor. To get a horrified reaction from me she would always act like she was going to nail every hapless little mammal that wandered into our yard. On spotting such a creature she would crouch down real low while looking at me from the side of her eye. On cue I would say "No Jeff!" which caused her to relax her position, sit back, and calmly stare at me with that bobcat grin on her face. She also got a kick out of tormenting my neighbor's German Shepherd whenever I was working outside because she knew I would protect her.

Her Legacy: Compassion
Jeff proved she was like no other last summer when she gifted me with a baby bunny, who was not only still alive, but also completely uninjured. She laid the little guy on the top of my feet and then sat back, beaming. I knew that she gave me the bunny because she loved me. I also knew why it was unharmed, Jeff had compassion-she knew the value of life. But another reason just recently dawned on me: Jeff's history revealed a cat who knew true friendships were rare, something to be earned, and never, ever, be taken for granted. Therefore. in her mind, it was well worth the work of catching a bunny for the one she loved.

When I got my kitten, Darby, none of my cats would play with him, except Jeff. She nurtured him. I write about this with great awe, because Jeff was never a young cat, and I know she had better things to do than to babysit a lonely kitten.

Search ends and pain begins
The search for Jeff ended where it began, in the shed she loved so much. I found her that following Sunday morning, laying on her side, just a few feet inside. I spent the last 36 hours looking for her, calling her name, and praying that maybe she was only hurt, perhaps the result of a cat fight or being clipped by a car. I would find her, hurt, shaken, but alive.

Jeff's Death Certificate
Cause of death: Blood-clot
Time of Death: Shortly after she was let out
Results of Death: Confusion, profound sadness, lingering grief, and a stunning realization that things will never be okay again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The most loving tribute to an amazing cat. Jeff, you lived life fully and carried out your catly duties in an exemplary fashion.

May you rest in peace, and hopefully your human family can also find a little of that peace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The most loving tribute to an amazing cat. Jeff, you lived life fully and carried out your catly duties in an exemplary fashion.

May you rest in peace, and hopefully your human family can also find a little of that peace.
Thank you, Furballsmom, for replying. I never knew what Jeff's life was like prior to meeting her but I do know that she enriched mine. She taught me about patience, respect for boundaries, and what true friendship is all about. I never took her for granted, I always knew what a rare gem she was.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! This made me cry. You have written such a beautiful tribute to an equally beautiful and extra-ordinary cat. It is obvious how deep your bond was, and still is, with Jeff.

I wish there are words to say to make you feel alright, but I know it will take time - a lot of time, before you can be able to tell yourself you are already a bit fine. I hope one day you will think of Jeff with more of a smile, than of tears.

Hang in there. You gave her the most wonderful life, and I know she carries her beautiful memories with you beyond time and space.

My prayers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a long time to work through losing such a special little one. You never get over it, you learn to live your life with the pain and one day you will understand that what that precious girl taught you, left with you, will be with you always,she will forever be a part of your soul.....
You literally saved her. She desperately needed someone in her life to care for her and to love her, and you gave her that. She will always be thankful. In return she left you with her love and what she taught you, as evidenced through your beautiful tribute. The bond of trust and love you both built through the years can never be taken from you, it is spiritual, so eternal. "Death cannot take that which never dies", and that is your love for each other. She will forever be as close as yoru thoughts and prayers.
Try not to dwell on her death, do not make it more important than her beautiful life and the precious memories of what you shared. She would never want that for someone she loved so very much. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. She died at home, her home thanks to you, surrounded by the love she found there. Follow her lead, her zest for life, her gentleness and her humor. One of the greatest honors you can recieve after death is to be remembered, to be missed. You give that to her.....
My heart goes out to you, I know how dark these first few months can be. I wish I could hug you and tell you it will be all right, but your world is forever changed. But you are not alone. Although each and everyone of us has had a unique and intensly personal relationship with these amazing creatures, the loss is devastating to each of us and just as personal. We can only offer empathy and condolences because no one will love her as much as you. But sometimes that helps to lighten the burden of grief, sometimes it helps to know that others have been there before you and have survived it's tortuous journey. Just take one step at a time, get through each day as it comes and learn a new life's order for yourself. One day at a time.....RIP precious Jeff. You will never be forgotten, you will forever be held securely in a loving heart. May teh good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You must be a wonderful person because Jeff picked you out of all the other humans on this planet to share her life with. I have no words that will even began to comfort you with such a terrible loss as this is . I know, because I've been where you are, and a person just has to work through it. There are no short cuts... It takes time. Lots of time.

While all cats or special, Jeff was one of those cats that only come into ones lifetime once, maybe twice if you are extremely fortunate. You were blessed with Jeff's company, and I am truly so very sorry for your loss. God bless you.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She didnt say goodbye cause she hasn't left you.

She is still in your heart. She is still in your mind. I can see her in your loving words.

Close your eyes for a moment and she will be be at your side.

Think carefully and you will feel the bump of her head, the texture of her fur and hear her purring in your ear.

She is a part of you. She played a part in making you who you are today.

Remember the traits that made her special to you. Emulate them; she will live on.

My wife says "its not goodbye, just so long".

Things will be okay again.... in time.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a long time to work through losing such a special little one. You never get over it, you learn to live your life with the pain and one day you will understand that what that precious girl taught you, left with you, will be with you always,she will forever be a part of your soul.....
You literally saved her. She desperately needed someone in her life to care for her and to love her, and you gave her that. She will always be thankful. In return she left you with her love and what she taught you, as evidenced through your beautiful tribute. The bond of trust and love you both built through the years can never be taken from you, it is spiritual, so eternal. "Death cannot take that which never dies", and that is your love for each other. She will forever be as close as yoru thoughts and prayers.
Try not to dwell on her death, do not make it more important than her beautiful life and the precious memories of what you shared. She would never want that for someone she loved so very much. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. She died at home, her home thanks to you, surrounded by the love she found there. Follow her lead, her zest for life, her gentleness and her humor. One of the greatest honors you can recieve after death is to be remembered, to be missed. You give that to her.....
My heart goes out to you, I know how dark these first few months can be. I wish I could hug you and tell you it will be all right, but your world is forever changed. But you are not alone. Although each and everyone of us has had a unique and intensly personal relationship with these amazing creatures, the loss is devastating to each of us and just as personal. We can only offer empathy and condolences because no one will love her as much as you. But sometimes that helps to lighten the burden of grief, sometimes it helps to know that others have been there before you and have survived it's tortuous journey. Just take one step at a time, get through each day as it comes and learn a new life's order for yourself. One day at a time.....RIP precious Jeff. You will never be forgotten, you will forever be held securely in a loving heart. May teh good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Thank you for your comforting words. Yes, so many of us have experienced the raw pain of losing a feline friend. And that is why I am so happy to have found this site and be able to reach out to people who truly understand.

I was always astonished at how comfortable I felt around Jeff, almost like I had known her before. I am thoroughly convinced that if she had been human we would have been finishing one another sentences. Yes she was wild looking, very large, and for all I knew, a feral, but yet, I was never afraid of her. The day after we became friends she allowed me to pick her up and hold her like a baby, My face would be only a few inches from hers but I never once feared for my safety.

They question of why it work out so well for Jeff and myself can only be attributed to fact that somehow two entirely different species found a way to communicate to one another. Jeff never spoke, she needed no words, her expressions and body language were enough to convey her message. Feelings of disappointed or embarrassed would be reflected in her bobcat grin. The corners of her mouth would slightly turn down, causing her usual jovial smile to tighten. An anger feeling would literally cast a dark shadow over her face, making her look slightly demonic. (I am relieve to say that I witnessed that look only one time from her). But it was her look of empathy that truly was breathtaking. Five months ago I was told by a family member that my mother's health had taken a turn for the worse. When I got off the phone I numbly meandered over to the couch and broke down. Jeff came over to me and put her paw on my arm. I looked up from my hands at her and what I saw humbles me to this day. The bobcat grin was gone and her eyes were moist with tears. She got up on her hind legs and wrapped her arms around my neck in a hug. She then proceeded to sit back down and curl up right next to me. And there we sat, in total silence, for the rest of the day.

Since that horrible night in March, I have not heard a word from Jeff, nothing to tell me that she is okay. When other animal companions of mine have passed on they usually come back in some form,... a dream, or the feelings of movement as I lie on my bed. So how can a cat, one who had such a close bond with somebody and had reaching out down to a fine art form, suddenly be so silent?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a wonderful tribute, well written, so alive.
Thanks for sharing with us the wonderful story between you and Jeff, a unique and heartwarming story.
It explains the meaning of a friendship, loyalty, faithfulness, an amazing lesson to many.

She arrived as a wild jungle cat.
She left as a wild jungle cat, alone.

I know what that means, I know how hard it is to cope with such a loss. Not being there, next to our friends, when they need us the most, truly shatters our hearts.

RIP Jeff, you left a huge void behind, but you're filling the Rainbow Bridge now, with your strong presence.
Do not forget who loved you to bits.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, many times we just need to feel the moment, wipe everything from your mind and just be.
Jeff is there, maybe not as you perceive, but there all the same. The light that comes from her new shining star in the heavens will forever surround you. And just as we cannot see the wind, we none the less know it is real, it is there. Her purr is the distant thunder, her kiss is the gentle breeze that caresses your face. Something as strong as her spirit, the 'essense' that made her who she was, never dies, it just changes form........

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And just as we cannot see the wind, we none the less know it is real, it is there. Her purr is the distant thunder, her kiss is the gentle breeze that caresses your face
By reading your words I can't help thinking this wonderful poem

"Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow..."

etc.

This is one of the most heart wrenching poem I have ever read.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for you concern, your interest in Jeff, and your warm words.

I hope that the healing begin and that one day I can talk about Jeff without hurting. Right now I feel as though she is haunting me.

My deep love for Jeff, coupled with the suddenness of her death, has left me reeling in a way that I could not have imagined. Unnatural thoughts fill my mind and I find myself searching for her.

I never took a photo of this wonderful little girl when she was with me, always thinking I had all the time in the world. The above sketch of her was drawn from post-partum photos and my memory. I have been tempted to display those photos on this site in order to get input from other member regarding what kind of cat was Jeff. I have resisted posting them for two reasons: the effect it might have on others. and the possibility that it could reduce Jeff's life to that of a Steven King's character.

I don't know why the visual of Jeff is so important to me, except possibly for the fact that I can't ever remember seeing a cat that even remotely resembled her. My vet told me that he adopted out a cat who looked like Jeff a couple of months ago. I had my doubts about his assertion but I found myself asking him for a photo anyway. I told myself that even though it would not be Jeff, I could pretend it was her. Unfortunately, he holds no sentimental attachment to such things and the photo had been destroyed.

The idea of cloning Jeff also came to mind. I admit to that statement with great bewilderment on my part since I never thought I would ever seriously think about cloning an animal. And yes, I know that cloning Jeff would not result in Jeff, but rather a way of having one of her kittens.

In the past I have always been a little skeptical of psychics, but after losing Jeff, I would gladly suspend all logic for the possibility of contacting her.

So Trust me when I tell you that if I had found a spell to bring her back, I would not have hesitated in using it.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, many times we just need to feel the moment, wipe everything from your mind and just be.
Jeff is there, maybe not as you perceive, but there all the same. The light that comes from her new shining star in the heavens will forever surround you. And just as we cannot see the wind, we none the less know it is real, it is there. Her purr is the distant thunder, her kiss is the gentle breeze that caresses your face. Something as strong as her spirit, the 'essense' that made her who she was, never dies, it just changes form........
Thank you, di and bob, I completely agree with you. I feel as though Jeff is right around the corner. I tell her every night that there is some stupid barrier separating us and that one day the barrier will be lifted.

My thoughts above reflect the lengths to which I would go to see her again. I do so hope it gets better with time.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a wonderful tribute, well written, so alive.
Thanks for sharing with us the wonderful story between you and Jeff, a unique and heartwarming story.
It explains the meaning of a friendship, loyalty, faithfulness, an amazing lesson to many.

She arrived as a wild jungle cat.
She left as a wild jungle cat, alone.

I know what that means, I know how hard it is to cope with such a loss. Not being there, next to our friends, when they need us the most, truly shatters our hearts.

RIP Jeff, you left a huge void behind, but you're filling the Rainbow Bridge now, with your strong presence.
Do not forget who loved you to bits.

Thank you, Antonio65

"She arrived as a wild jungle cat.
She left as a wild jungle cat, alone."

Those are beautiful words.

While Jeff's sudden death left me scrambling for answers, I do find comfort in the fact that she was able to leave on her own terms.

Jeff's intense fear of people was the only reason why I never took her to a vet. She scratched me only two times in our seven years together and both times were the result of her panicky need to get out of my arms and away from an approaching stranger. I never knew why she was so petrified of people, but I respected her feelings, and therefore never put her into a situation where she had to be around them.

However, had I known that she had heart disease, I would not have hesitated in subjecting her to a barrage of vet visits. I would have done anything to save her.

I do love her to bits, and I hope she waits for me.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She didnt say goodbye cause she hasn't left you.

She is still in your heart. She is still in your mind. I can see her in your loving words.

Close your eyes for a moment and she will be be at your side.

Think carefully and you will feel the bump of her head, the texture of her fur and hear her purring in your ear.

She is a part of you. She played a part in making you who you are today.

Remember the traits that made her special to you. Emulate them; she will live on.

My wife says "its not goodbye, just so long".

Thank you, Purr-fect.

Your words speak truth to me and there are times when the pain is made more bearable by letting myself remember the joy of petting Jeff's fine coat, scratching the bump on her back (which always resulting in her nibbling her front legs), or the heft of her body when I would pick her up.

Yes, she raised the bar when she was here in this world. I only hope I can reach it.

Things will be okay again.... in time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
74C3D986-66F8-4022-944B-DF5726687603.jpeg
I’m so sorry for the loss of your wonderful girl! Thank you for sharing how special she was .... and how great reformed ferals can be!

613E6227-B730-4FB7-B5EE-D398C069386B.jpeg

B61C1002-A58E-4EFB-871F-AE8DB262BE59.jpeg
My morbid sense says she was outside having a good time (knowing she was near her family, they were just a loud meow away) when she suddenly just stopped ..... how we all wish to go; quickly, painlessly & near loved ones. Please don’t feel guilty for being busy that night, she knew you loved her.
0C54D4FC-04F1-4434-B2EB-DFCD410178EC.jpeg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Your tribute is very, very beautiful. The Ancient Ones had the tradition of the Rainbow Bridge by referring to the Milky Way as the Sky Trail and the end of the trail is towards the south/southwest. Perhaps in the night sky, you will receive a sign that Jeff is now part of something bigger and better than we can imagine. Their spirits, like ours, return to the Creator, to be with the ancestors and those yet to be born. Our souls may sleep quietly in Sheol, awaiting judgment and Resurrection but animals are spared that.
When Jeff's time arrived, she "went with her boots on", without the prolonged decline and misery waiting for Death to arrive as a friend. My father used to say that when our time came, pray that we would go with our boots on - it worked for him; he died suddenly, unexpectedly, in his camp chair under the dazzling stars of the Sierra sky, his cats and his wolf-dog next to him, guarding his body until I came home (like you, I was on a long road trip -a California turnaround of almost 800 miles).
There are so many wise and comforting words in this thread - many of them are yours. :grouphug2::rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he died suddenly, unexpectedly, in his camp chair under the dazzling stars of the Sierra sky, his cats and his wolf-dog next to him, guarding his body until I came home (like you, I was on a long road trip -a California turnaround of almost 800 miles).
That is terrible!
I'm sorry for you, deeply and truly sorry :(