You can't leave food in the dogs reach unattended

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My fiance and I learned this fact 2 nights ago. We had ordered pizza and were sitting on the couch watching tv. We have a sectional, Brody was sitting on the left side of me and my fiance on the right. Fiance got up and set his plate on the couch to go get drinks. I got up a minute later to help him, not thinking about the plate sitting there, or Brody. We got back to the couch and Brody had stolen the pizza off the plate and taken it to the other end of the couch. He was chowing down on it. There was pizza sauce all over the couch and Brody's face.
Fiance did tell him to go to his crate, and he did, but I do have to take full responsibility.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh yeah, dogs will take even the smallest window of oppurtunity to get some people food
actually now that you mention it, I gotta watch my cats too! I have the funniest picture of Brody with that pizza sauce all over his face

freshmtt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG, too funny, my 2 mini Dachshunds are just as bad,, Heidi and Princess will stealing something off your plate in a second if you don't watch where you put it. We eat in the living room a lot with T.V. trays and my 8yr old will sometimes forget and leave the T.V tray too close too the couch if she gets up to go get something in the kitchen,

one time it was a piece of cake, very good cake I might add, and by the time she came back in the living room, Heidi had already licked off all the frosting off the cake and was about to swallow the entire piece of cake, when Rachel saw her and screamed bloody murder!!

Heidi fortunately did not get sick from eating all the frosting, but Rachel learned her lesson that time...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find that hilarious! I can leave a plate of food on the couch & neither dog will touch it(if it's on the table they will be after it, though). Twitch doesn't like "people" food, Lily won't touch it unless I give her some, but Ophie would be in that food in a heartbeat.

Just think about the careless places you would leave food if Brody wasn't there?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh! Reminds me of the time my mother and I spend 2 days making Little Horns (cookies) for Christmas. It was a tradition my Grandmother's always made but we hadn't had them because we'd moved to DE about 5 years earlier. Well they were all in a container on top of the counter. My parent's went out and I went to the bathroom. I heard a noise and yep...Tasha had eaten half of them. I was so mad she didn't come near me for a few days without hanging her head and ears. I made her spend the whole evening in the corner. I mean I did not leave them out. She must have grown or something to reach them where she got them from.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds very mischievious. but also so adorable!! If we put a plate of food down for a second to get a drink or something, she will slowely inch her way towards it as if we won't notice..and then ever so slowly reach her paw toward the plate....
As if we are just going to sit there and let her have her way with the food

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brody, your lucky your soo cute, you little devil

don't you find it hard sometimes not to crack-up when the bf/dh tries to correct them, and they are just looking as innocent as ever? Like "what dad? I did'nt do anything"
I know I crack up when bf tries to yell at Murphy for running a muck
how can you stay mad at such an adorable little face?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

oh yeah, dogs will take even the smallest window of oppurtunity to get some people food
actually now that you mention it, I gotta watch my cats too!
i have to watch Java, Cable & Chip - as a matter of fact, i caught Cable nibbling on my cheese just this past weekend!
Pixel doesn't like most people food, but she sometimes wants to inspect it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our next-door neighbor collapsed due to hypoglycemia one evening after we'd just sat down to dinner. We went rushing over to take care of the kids, and left everything on the table. When we got back about two hours later, we found that our then dog had eaten everything on the table, including half a pound of butter!!! He obviously knew it was "wrong", because he was hiding under the table.
Another dog we had gotten from the SPCA, who was horribly skinny at first, would casually walk by the dinner table and steal your whole plate of food. He never broke plates, either, and could put them down on the floor without any knives or forks perched on the edge dropping off. He would steal whole loaves of bread off the counter and eat them. We "cured" him of his insatiable appetite, though. One evening after I'd cooked 10 lbs. of chicken, rice, and vegetables for the dogs, I kept filling his bowl every time he emptied it. After five huge bowls, he was finally full, and apparently decided that he wasn't going to starve at our house, because he stopped most of his stealing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Our next-door neighbor collapsed due to hypoglycemia one evening after we'd just sat down to dinner. We went rushing over to take care of the kids, and left everything on the table. When we got back about two hours later, we found that our then dog had eaten everything on the table, including half a pound of butter!!! He obviously knew it was "wrong", because he was hiding under the table.
Tricia, he didn't think it was wrong, he had a tummy ache!!!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Fritz always seemed immune to tummy aches - he lived to eat. The only thing he liked better than eating was going for walks. He was also from the SPCA, and weighed about 40 lbs. when we got him (he had been seriously injured in a car accident in which his human parents had been killed). His normal weight was about 80 - 90 lbs.. He was our "chocolate fiend".

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my dog caught in the act (after my daughter's plate after dinner). I took this picture for my Boxer forum- from the other side of the table, all you can see is the tongue!
I think she thinks she's being sneaky, like we don't know that big brown dog is under the table

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Another dog we had gotten from the SPCA, who was horribly skinny at first, would casually walk by the dinner table and steal your whole plate of food. He never broke plates, either, and could put them down on the floor without any knives or forks perched on the edge dropping off. He would steal whole loaves of bread off the counter and eat them. We "cured" him of his insatiable appetite, though. One evening after I'd cooked 10 lbs. of chicken, rice, and vegetables for the dogs, I kept filling his bowl every time he emptied it. After five huge bowls, he was finally full, and apparently decided that he wasn't going to starve at our house, because he stopped most of his stealing.
Aw, poor baby! My dog Misty is very well trained, but has her own twist to the rules. If food is left on the kitchen table, she won't touch it, but if it is on the coffee table in the front room, and you step away for a second, she grabs it. And she won't get in the trash, but if the cats get food off the kitchen table, or scraps out of the trash, she will push them out of the way and eat it. (She actually sometimes helps keep the kitties off the table, because they see her watching them to steal whatever they get! LOL!)

She keeps her food bowl covered to keep the cats out...it is in the laundry room, and when she is done eating, she pushes dirty laundry on top of it to cover the food. They sneak in there anyhow...it just makes her crazy!

BTW, I think your boxer pic is hilarious! What a sneaky thief!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I actually have a couple of food stealing stories.
Growing up we had a black lab named Duke. He was just a few years older then me.
I remember when I was about 7 years old my mom and I worked for 2 days to bake cookies for the whole family (about 40 people) for this HUGE Christmas dinner planned. I was So proud of them. They were in shapes of xmas trees, snowmen, candycanes...etc... I took the last plate of cookies to the table just as proud as could be. About 10 mins later my mom said "check to see if we have enough forks" well, lo and behold there is Duke laying on the floor, all 4 paws in the air, groaning and moaning with an empty cookie plate next to him!
He ate about 20 cookies...

Then at thanksgiving the next year he ate one of our turkeys (we always had 2 because we have a HUGE family). My mom ended up having to buy a pre-cooked ham for us. Duke about 3 hours later, ended up barfing under the thanksgiving dinner table.
.. but only after having horrendus gas!

I can honestly say no one was worried about eating after that!